Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

first oil change

Old 12-15-2008, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first oil change

I did my first oil change in my R/T over the weekend. Two minor problems.

1: I've read that the it may be a good idea to allow a dealer to do the first oil change as a "900 lb gorilla" must install the factory filter. Sure as heck, this filter was a bear to get off (as was the first filter change on my Jeep Commander). After I got the filter off, I think I realized why it was so difficult. I think the factory might not oil the gasket, as evidenced by the fact that the gasket remained on the oil filter mount on the engine. Good thing I know to check for that as double gaskets do not seal and one will blow out and make a big oil sprayed mess. Having a lift in my garage helped. I do not know if I could have gotten the leverage necessary to get the filter off if I had tried this on ramps.

2: The parts store oil filter book gave me the wrong part number for the Mobile1 oil filter. I swear it said M1 204, which is the same as I use in my Jeep Commander with the 5.7 HEMI so it seemed logical. But I found that filter does not fit, after prefilling the filter with oil for quicker oil pressure at first start-up after completing the oil change. Good thing I can use that same filter in my next Commander oil change.

I also lucked out in tow ways- I checked the Mobile 1 website before trying to run out to the parts store (which was probably closed - after 5:00 PM on a Sunday) and fould the M1 210 filter is the correct filter for the Challenger R/T 5.7 Hemi. As luck would have it, I had one of those on hand for an upcoming oil change for my 2006 Mustang GT. Whew! I also needed to use that extra 8th bottle of 5W20 oil on hand since I had already prefilled the wrong filter with oil during the first try.

So, be warned. The first oil change could be tough!
Old 12-15-2008, 12:01 PM

Default RE: first oil change

I received a coupon for a free oil change and filter from Chrysler…so needless to say the dealer will be doing my first oil change….but thanks for the heads up….
Old 12-15-2008, 12:11 PM

Is the filter for the Challenger shorter or different in size ? I had my local dealer do my first oil change . Factory filter and I supplied the oil . Castrol GTX 5W20 ( reg. oil ) They used filter # 4884899AB by the work order . A different number than on our 300C Hemi . Hope they got the extra seal off if it stayed on the engine.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:37 PM

If for whatever reason you had to choose between keeping the Challenger R/T or the 2006 GT, which would it be and why? Reason I ask - I am 2005 GT Owner and I'd love to hear your feedback.

Thanks,

Beeno

ORIGINAL: mot250

1: I've read that the it may be a good idea to allow a dealer to do the first oil change as a "900 lb gorilla" must install the factory filter. Sure as heck, this filter was a bear to get off (as was the first filter change on my Jeep Commander). After I got the filter off, I think I realized why it was so difficult. I think the factory might not oil the gasket, as evidenced by the fact that the gasket remained on the oil filter mount on the engine. Good thing I know to check for that as double gaskets do not seal and one will blow out and make a big oil sprayed mess. Having a lift in my garage helped. I do not know if I could have gotten the leverage necessary to get the filter off if I had tried this on ramps.

2: The parts store oil filter book gave me the wrong part number for the Mobile1 oil filter. I swear it said M1 204, which is the same as I use in my Jeep Commander with the 5.7 HEMI so it seemed logical. But I found that filter does not fit, after prefilling the filter with oil for quicker oil pressure at first start-up after completing the oil change. Good thing I can use that same filter in my next Commander oil change.

I also lucked out in tow ways- I checked the Mobile 1 website before trying to run out to the parts store (which was probably closed - after 5:00 PM on a Sunday) and fould the M1 210 filter is the correct filter for the Challenger R/T 5.7 Hemi. As luck would have it, I had one of those on hand for an upcoming oil change for my 2006 Mustang GT. Whew! I also needed to use that extra 8th bottle of 5W20 oil on hand since I had already prefilled the wrong filter with oil during the first try.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:29 PM

I took the beast in for her first oil change Saturday morniing. Had the do a complete service, including tire pressure. When the car was finished I received the invoice and to my delight it said $ 0.00. While the service was being done I checked with the parts department for a service manual. They gave me a phone number to call. I called this morning and there are no service manuals made for the 08 Challenger yet. She told me to call back after the first of the year.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:23 PM

ORIGINAL: 70sguy

I took the beast in for her first oil change Saturday morniing. When the car was finished I received the invoice and to my delight it said $ 0.00.
Huh..?? What"s the deal 70sguy... did the mechanic have a thing for ya..??
Old 12-15-2008, 06:29 PM

ORIGINAL: BkChallenger09R/T

Is the filter for the Challenger shorter or different in size ? I had my local dealer do my first oil change . Factory filter and I supplied the oil . Castrol GTX 5W20 ( reg. oil ) They used filter # 4884899AB by the work order . A different number than on our 300C Hemi . Hope they got the extra seal off if it stayed on the engine.
Not sure about the 300C filter but the difference between the M1 204 (2006 Commander 5.7 Hemi) and the M1 210 (2009 Challenger R/T .7 Hemi) is the fitting size (larger threaded opening for the Challenger Filter. Otherwise, they appear to be the same exterior diameter and lenght.

For what it's worth, a longer filter will fit in the Challenger as there is a lot of room below the filter. I think the Ford Motorcraft FL1A filter will fit, which is longer but someone would have to confirm the fitting size/thread.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:47 PM

Tough call, Beeno. But with the mods I've got on the Mustang and the occasional road course racing (2 to 4 events a year) I do with it, I'd have to say I'd keep the Mustang. Plus I'm also a Mustang guy from way back.

Even without the mods on the Mustang (mostly suspension) , they are very different cars. The Challenger seats an extra kid in the back. It rides much different and just feels bigger and heavier on the road. But that is with only a little over a month of experience in the Challenger (3 years in this Mustang), though I am beginning to get used to tossing the R/T around a bit

Truth be told, the real reason we have the Challenger is because my wife likes it. I was really trying to just get an AWD Caliber (did I just type that?) for a DD for me for the winter because my beater pick-up is not always reliable and I'm saving the Mustang from the salt. My wife didn't like the Caliber and suggested the Challenger so I jumped on it before she could change her mind (who am I to turn down a Hemi Challenger?). Technically, it is her car by title but she drives our Commander in the snow and I drive the truck in the snow when it is working. We drive the Challenger when the Commander is not necessary for family trips when the "family" never appreciated the now firmer ride in the modded Stang.

If I could no longer race the Stang, maybe I'd give it up and keep the Challenger if I really had to choose. I guess for no I'm lucky I don't need to choose

How do you currently use your 05 Mustang GT?

ORIGINAL: Albeeno

If for whatever reason you had to choose between keeping the Challenger R/T or the 2006 GT, which would it be and why? Reason I ask - I am 2005 GT Owner and I'd love to hear your feedback.

Thanks,

Beeno

ORIGINAL: mot250

Old 12-15-2008, 07:53 PM

Cool. Mot, you may be the first person on this board to more or less admit your Challenger is a "second car."
Old 12-16-2008, 04:21 AM

The Forum elders have convened a secret session to discuss this transgression. We're all waiting to see what color smoke rises from the chimney.

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey

Cool. Mot, you may be the first person on this board to more or less admit your Challenger is a "second car."

Quick Reply: first oil change