Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

20 inch chrome clad wheels

Old 12-28-2008, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 20 inch chrome clad wheels

I'll tell you what you do have to worry about for those that live in area's that get snow and ice. Here in Ky. they have started using liquid stuff on the road's for ice . It destroyed the alloy gas door and plastic chrome cover on the tail gate of my 07 Ram 1500. And had to be replaced. Make sure you wash that stuff off as soon as possible. It didn't bother the chrome metal step board. The gas door on the Challenger is alloy I think .
Old 12-29-2008, 07:54 AM

That liquid stuff is called "brine" and it is worse then salt.
They have been using this on our roads up here in Ontario for a few years now and
is something else to remove from your car/truck.
I would highly recommend that if you have to drive in this liquid for any length of time that you
cover your chrome and aluminum with something like petrolium jelly to protect it.
It will look like crap all winter but will be just as new when you clean it off in the spring.
It is also very slippery if they spray it down at night and it warms up quickly in the morning unexpectedly as we found out the hardway last spring.
Just my 02.

Kent.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:56 AM

My 2004 Ram has the plastic chrome clad wheels and they have held up pretty good. It does seem like a little questionable advertising calling plastic chrome. One thing that I have noticed about the ones on the Challenger is that when I polish or wax them, There seems to be little bumps or points that catch lint off the rag. The trucks never did that.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:14 PM

I ordered the 20" Chrome-clad wheels for my R/T. I did not even want the wheels. I wanted the 3.92 gears, and ordering the 20's was the only way to get the steeper gears. I plan on using aftermarket wheels anyhow. I will set my plastic wheels aside along with anything else I remove from the car so I can put it back to stock for warranty work or potential resale in the distant future.

Ever since the Dodge Ram trucks have been available with 20" wheels, they have been plastic. For those who are worried about them holding up, they hold up much better than alloy wheels that have been chrome plated. GM and Chrysler chrome wheels suck! (Buicks, Caddys, PT cruisers, Grand Cherokees, LH cars, etc). The chrome eventually starts peeling from the wheels as they corrode. The worst part is that they leak badly after the chrome has peeled around the bead seating area. I don't know if this is a problem everywhere, but here in the rust belt, it is terrible!
Old 12-29-2008, 04:52 PM

I was very anti the Chrome Clad Plastic wheels. I got them in the end and from what I hear they are easier to take care and actually last longer and don't crack like real ones.
Just think if it are drunk and scrape the F out of one on a curb it will be an easy/cheap fix. .......8)
Just get a new Cover, assuming you can even by them from Mopar.

All and all I wanted the 18" Wheels but when I saw mine next to an R/T with 18's it just didn't have the same impact as a Chally with 20's.
So I'm glad I got them. I will put new wheels on in about 2 years anyway and will be glad I got the bigger tires then for sure.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Carbon

All and all I wanted the 18" Wheels but when I saw mine next to an R/T with 18's it just didn't have the same impact as a Chally with 20's.
So I'm glad I got them.
Carbon, Carbon ... you sold out on us. []
Old 12-30-2008, 01:46 AM

Roswell,
It was either wait 2-3 more months for mine to ship or buy the exact one down the street on the lot with 20"s and have it today!
Today: was the better answer........8)

no regrets after 3 months of oooohhhs and aaaahhhhhhhs and counting.......hehehe

plus the 20's have wider tires also.
Makes a big difference in looks from behind with that extra girth...

Old 12-30-2008, 09:24 AM

I like the look of the 20's. As mentioned, when sitting side by side the 20's jump out at you more. Most likely due to the width and the shiny chrome. However I for one will be putting some different 18's on my car this summer due to tire selection.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:26 PM

Eventually I do think I am going to "upgrade to these Foose Rims Link as I like the size of the 20's and how they look in the wheel well.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:48 PM

The only thing odd about the Stock 20's is it's too much chrome on the outside drawing your eyes away from the body
Once I put some deeper dish wheels on with rivots I think it will look much better

Quick Reply: 20 inch chrome clad wheels