Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

20 inch chrome clad wheels

Old 12-28-2008, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20 inch chrome clad wheels

I bought a set on Ebay and after careful consideration I am not thrilled with them. I know that there have been posts about these wheels prior to mine. I don't mean to offend anyone as the wheels look good on most Challenger's, but with the wheels off the car and sitting in my basement I am really surprised at the wheels construction. The wheel is aluminum but the chrome is an overlay held on by ???. I guess some sort of structural adhesive is used to hold the cladding to the wheel. The cladding is plastic with a chrome finish. One observation is that with the offset I don't think the wheel would survive any type of minor altercation with a curb.
My car has the 18's and the Michelin tires. Frankly my car is looking real good to me at the moment just like it is. I am on the verge of giving up on this upgrade. Once again, I am not tring to be disrespectful of those R/T owners with the chrome clad wheels. I am curious if anyone has accidentally run over a curb or had any problems with the chrome clad wheels.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:39 AM

Default RE: 20 inch chrome clad wheels

Are you talking about the factory chrome wheels? I think they look good but "chrome clad" makes me wonder how long before the chrome starts to peel off the wheel.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:57 AM

Yes, factory chrome clad 20 inch wheels.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:02 PM

I have not curbed mine yet, however can understand why you feel sort of jipped when looking over what you bought. They actaully look nice, but once you understand how they are made they seem to have a cheap feel about them. I am considering putting 18" torque thrusts on mine.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:40 PM

To tell you the truth I feel it's a Rip Off to have to pay $1350 for a plastic wheel cover even with the upgrade in tire size. I wonder how many actually realized that they were nothing but a plastic wheel cover when they ordered them.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:53 PM

I think almost all auto manufactures do this now. Someone stated about 2005 Dodge changed over to this type. They are cheaper and lighter too. Personally I like the look and I cannot afford a true Chrome rim on my budget.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:01 PM

For those of you thinking of alternatives i think this wheel would be an awesome retro look. Money aside i think its a natural choice for the new Challengers if the back spacing works.

http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/wheel...ubcat3=1081103
Old 12-28-2008, 04:01 PM

Dodge has been making the chrome clad wheel's for a while . My 07 Ram 1500 4x4 had chrome clad 20's on it . I traded it in on the Challenger I understand the feeling when you found out it wasn't chome plated. I was told if the chome was damaged. The dealer could replace the plastic chome part on my truck wheel's. I wasn't crazy about my wheel's either . But have gotten used to the look's. They should be as strong as those that don't have the chrome cover . I saw in one of the Mopar magizines you could order the Rally wheel's like on the 71 Challenger R/T in 20's or what ever size you want . Since the car does look like the older Challenger . That should look good. I took it they where steel wheel's and chromed. I may check that out. And put some high perf tire's on them . And winter tire's on the stock wheel's.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:36 PM

A co-worker of mine bought a new Thunder Road Hemi truck in 2003 with the chrome clad 20" truck wheels and they have held up well. He has just over 100,000 miles on the truck and has had 3 sets of tires on it and the wheels, (covers), are not peeling or scratched up. I believe they are built well enough to stay looking good if we keep them off the curbs.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:43 PM

ORIGINAL: blackblurr

For those of you thinking of alternatives i think this wheel would be an awesome retro look. Money aside i think its a natural choice for the new Challengers if the back spacing works.

http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/wheel...ubcat3=1081103
There was a picture posted some time ago of these wheels actually on a Challenger. For some reason, they look a LOT better in the pic by themselves than they do on the car. I was disappointed, because I'd considered getting them due to their retro look.

Quick Reply: 20 inch chrome clad wheels