Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

My R/T in snow and ice

Old 01-31-2009, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My R/T in snow and ice

Have to say I'm really pleased and suprised with how good my 6 speed R/T does in snow and ice. I'm sure the pos and all season RSA Good Year help. Can't tell you how many people are suprised to see me driving it in that kind of weather . And can't belive it goes that good. I went to Home Depot right after several inchs of ice and some snow on it . A guy with a new Chevy truck couldn't even pull up to a parking spot over a little hump of ice . He just sat there rocking forward and back . And finally gave up . He saw me pull up with no problem. And when going in the store at the same time. He said I know Dodge is tough . But not that tough. I took it that I could drive on the snow and ice better than him . I told him it had the 6 speed and pos rearend. Which he didn't have a pos. The weight of the new Challenger is a plus for traction in ice and snow . I'm very happy with the winter ability of my R/T since I traded in my 07 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 on it. Or does the 6 speed and the ability to be in so many gears for the conditon of the road help. And the Hemi has so much lugging power at low rpm. Or the pos . What experence have any of the automatic R/T had in winter condition's.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:12 AM

Default RE: My R/T in snow and ice

Just talking about driving your Challenger in snow will cause a lot of folks on here to faint. Just be sure to provide ample warning if you also decide to post any pictures of your car in those snowy conditions. (check out my post in the general Challenger section titled Cupholders Where?)

I also take mine out occasionally in the snow, just to fight the winter boredom and prove that big RWD high HP american cars can handle snow as good if not better than all of those wrong-wheel-drive vehicles out there. I've been know to easily out drive fwd, awd and 4wd vehicles (ok, admitedly, I assume some of those drivers were just scared chicken to even be out on those conditions).

Enjoy and be safe!
Old 01-31-2009, 02:22 PM

If I was able to trade up every 5 years or so, I would drive my Challenger in the winter. However, I plan on keeping mine indefinitely. I see (first hand) every day just how bad the salt (salt, brine, whatever they are calling it now) eats cars. I have cars in the shop every day with rusted out brake lines, fuel lines, trans cooler lines, power steering lines, etc. Lots of these cars are barely 3 years old! I don't knock you guys one bit for enjoying your cars every day. I wish I could, but I have to make mine last alot longer!

I just have to add... if I was driving mine in the winter, you can bet your behind I would have a set (of four) Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires on it! I have a feeling that this car (with the weight, the posi, the traction control, and the ABS) with those tires would be a pleasure to drive in the snow!
Old 02-02-2009, 05:40 PM

As well, Novawagonmaster, I don't knock anyone who puts 'em away for the winter. I still do that with my Mustang. It's never been driven in the snow or on wet salt covered roads. The first year, my beater vehicle problems led to a few days of driving the Mustang on dry salted roads but that's it. For me, my Legend Lime Mustang GT(which nearly matches my one-family-owned 67 Ford Galaxie in color - Lime Gold) is the one I plan on keeping indefinitly. Don't get me wrong, the Challenge is a great car also and I plan on keeping it for a good while but I need to have something I can possibly trade in sometime.

Plus, it feels damn good driving something other than my under-powered (straight 6) 4X4 beater 1982 F250 all winter long, and is a ton more comfortable!
Old 02-03-2009, 06:12 AM

I have been driving my Challenger, R/T Six Speed, all winter, it handles fine you just need to be gentle with the gas pedal. Hit the car wash weekly, I especially love the heated seats!