Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

Afraid to ask

Old 02-12-2009, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Afraid to ask

I down shifted from 6th to 5th doing about 70 and pedal to the metal . To pass some cars and then back to 6th . A sort of clunk sound from the rear as I down shifted. Don't notice it as much on the up shift . Is that normal .
Old 02-12-2009, 09:12 PM

Default RE: Afraid to ask

Without hearing and feeling it, it could be the suspension or mabe the exhaust moving around, sure hope its not something in the rear end itself.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:42 AM

I know couple people with 6sps and having problems with trans already. One had to have trans replaced dropped 4th gear[:@]
Old 02-13-2009, 03:23 PM

[] How is it acting going thru normal cycling thru the gears? How does it act with more rpm,s and more aggressive action? Put it in about 4th. gear at a steady cruise.and then let off the gas,and then go back to a steady cruise,is there any jerking action like excessive backlash in the rear diff? [] Man,with all the problems I have been hearing about like flimsy body panels,etc.,maybe I should get a Camaro![&:]
Old 02-13-2009, 06:17 PM

I tried it several time's today . Shifted faster down to 5th and pedal to the floor. No clunk . Even down to 4th once and was ok . I must of sort of whip lashed it by not hitting the throttle enough. It is ok on all the up shift's . But if I didn't know better I'd think the clutch is slipping in 2nd some time. Seem's like too many rev's for the mph climb. May just be me. I'm sort of wondering if a motor mount could be broke. Had that happen in a 66 Plymouth 4 speed. And some simular thing's happened till found that was the problem. Burnt up two Hemi clutch's before the dealer told me .
Old 02-13-2009, 09:41 PM

Could be the Posi grabbing, thats what it sounds like to me
Old 02-14-2009, 07:11 AM

Put in in gear and with your foot on the brake,load the clutch a little while some one is watching a see if you get any motor movement. If you are not releasing the clutch quick and dragging out your shifts when your on it,you may be slipping your clutch.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:25 AM

I'll get one of my Hot Rod friend's to check for engine movement the next time I get a chance. I've had the Hill Start assist hold the car when I let the clutch out too fast on a small grade at a stop light. And had to clutch it real fast. I'm going to have to figure out how to shut that down. I'm used to a stick on a hill . And don't need some computer controling it. I'm just wondering if that has damaged something in the drive line .
Old 02-15-2009, 02:31 PM

I sure hope not,but in case you did,won,t the l/time warranty cover it?
Old 02-16-2009, 03:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look in your owners book and there is a way to shut the hill asssist off. I did it and I like it much better. It was driving me crazy or at least finishing me off

Quick Reply: Afraid to ask