Notices
Dodge Challenger SRT8 Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger SRT8 should be placed here.

Dead Acceleration/Throttle Stuck

Old 02-27-2009, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Acceleration/Throttle Stuck

Hey everyone:

I was hoping for a little assistance. I recently bought a 2008 Challenger, love the car, have to keep checking the garage to make sure it's still there, etc., but I had a somewhat unpleasant experience the other day. I was turning on to a major road from my development, just easing into traffic (and thank God none was present at the time), and as I passed the median area, car would not accelerate. Fortunately I was in the middle of the six lanes in the turn area and there were no cars coming. It didn't matter what I did to the pedal, the car just idled. After what seemed like several hours, but was probably more like 5-10 seconds, the car suddenly revved up and took off: not smoking the tires or anything, but more like "oh, sorry about that nap, I guess it's time to go..." I don't remember if I had the stability control on or off, if that would make a difference. I've combed numerous forums to see if anyone else had a similar problem. I'm hoping that it won't be a recurring problem, as I'd hate to see this car turn into an issue, but, unfortunately, another occurence in oncoming traffic might be a final failure.

Any help I can get on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, all!
Old 02-27-2009, 04:06 PM

Default RE: Dead Acceleration/Throttle Stuck

They only thing if your turned sharply and were into a hard excellation ESP will do that, but it is only momentary really. Just not sure how you were excellerating and how hard you were turning.

BTW: This may be a south florida thing, check Rudys srt threads he has similar issues. I think his dad is a lawyer and going fo lemon law. He lives in Miami
Old 02-27-2009, 05:30 PM

70sguy:

Thanks for the response. I read some of of Rudys threads and wasn't sure if he was describing the same problem. I wasn't turning when the event took place, not even accelerating hard, just easing across the road. I'll wait n see if anyone responds w/similar problem. I've been kicking around the idea of taking it back to the dealer, but I'd hate to part with it.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:07 PM

dminfla,

What is the badge # of your 08?
Old 02-28-2009, 06:16 AM

Rtfromnc:

Old 03-01-2009, 08:42 PM

At least you didn't have the "throttle stuck" problem I read about somewhere else where the car got stuck at High RPMs and wouldn't stop. I have read about several of these problems now, both with the car being unable to stop as well as simply dying and sadly I won't be buying a challenger until it gets resolved. I'm hoping to hear of an actual recall so that dodge acknowledges the problem. So far every response I've heard from the dealers is "We can't find anything" or "it must have been a fluke".

I'm not much for life and death flukes.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Justinec101

At least you didn't have the "throttle stuck" problem I read about somewhere else where the car got stuck at High RPMs and wouldn't stop. I have read about several of these problems now, both with the car being unable to stop as well as simply dying and sadly I won't be buying a challenger until it gets resolved. I'm hoping to hear of an actual recall so that dodge acknowledges the problem. So far every response I've heard from the dealers is "We can't find anything" or "it must have been a fluke".

I'm not much for life and death flukes.
Hmmm......
This is only the second issue I've heard of anything of this nature happening (and I regularly scan four Challenger Forums/Blogs). While I agree, something like this is a serious problem, I'd think with over 15,000 Challengers built and on the road, and this being only the second one I've heard of with this type of problem, your chances of being afflicted IF you HAD a Challenger - any trim - would be less than .02%.
So if THAT'S what's holding you back from buying one, you should probably also know.......
In twenty years, if you don't wash / wax it too often, drive it during winter in snow and ice (with salt and calcium road treatments)...... it could develop rust.
[]
caveat emptor!
Old 03-02-2009, 05:39 PM

From reading the various responses, I'm beginning to see that this is not a common issue, unfortunate as it is for me. I think I will call over to the dealer and talk to their maintenance folks to see if they have any ideas. However, I must say that I have wanted this car ever since I first heard about it.

And it has not been a disappointment.

Sure my experience caused some alarm, but I love my Challenger. That may mean I am hopeless, clueless, etc., but I can't imagine parting with it now. I hope that some of you prospective buyers won't be put off by my personal tale of woe; that was not my intention. I was just hoping for an easy answer, i.e., "oh, that's just your [insert unintelligible gearhead language here]!"

I could've bought a BMW. But, to me, that is a car that says "Hey! You cut me off or ding my door then I'm going to pop out of my car and sue you!" The Challenger says "Hey! I might just have a chainsaw in my trunk and I'm not afraid to use it." I had to go for the chainsaw.

Thanks again for the comments and I look forward to your advice.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:13 PM

ORIGINAL: dminfla

From reading the various responses, I'm beginning to see that this is not a common issue, unfortunate as it is for me. I think I will call over to the dealer and talk to their maintenance folks to see if they have any ideas. However, I must say that I have wanted this car ever since I first heard about it.

And it has not been a disappointment.

Sure my experience caused some alarm, but I love my Challenger. That may mean I am hopeless, clueless, etc., but I can't imagine parting with it now. I hope that some of you prospective buyers won't be put off by my personal tale of woe; that was not my intention. I was just hoping for an easy answer, i.e., "oh, that's just your [insert unintelligible gearhead language here]!"

I could've bought a BMW. But, to me, that is a car that says "Hey! You cut me off or ding my door then I'm going to pop out of my car and sue you!" The Challenger says "Hey! I might just have a chainsaw in my trunk and I'm not afraid to use it." I had to go for the chainsaw.

Thanks again for the comments and I look forward to your advice.
Not sure what trim level you have, but regardless - I'd take it in to the dealer and make a record of the problem.....even if they don't find the cause on the first visit (like Rudy's SRT).
If you have an R/T, you have the lifetime warranty. On the other hand, if the problem persists and isn't remedied, that "lifetime" warranty could be short if the car decides on it's own when, where and how fast to respond to the throttle. No one wants to see you become a statistic or basis for recall - especially after the fact.
[&o]
BTW - You're MUCH better off with the Challenger over the Beemer. The Challenger makes a much greater statement and has "presence". The Beemer is more of a "snobmobile" - with a questionable reliability record.

Hope the chainsaw is a Husqvarna.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:57 AM

I have a 09 R/T 6 speed. My throttle stuck when backing out of my drive way yesterday. When I went to put it in 1st gear . The idle was up to 2500 RPM . I touched the gas pedal and that just brought it up to 3000 RPM . I let it run a minute with the clutch in . And hit the pedal a few times. Same thing . So I finally turned the Key off . And re started . That solved the problem . I told the local dealer . And they didn't really respond. Next chance I get I will take it to the dealer I purchased it from . They have sold a bunch of R/T 6 speed's as well as SRT model's . I've noticed the throttle act up a few time's shifting gear's also. But I thought it was me . Maybe not me .

Quick Reply: Dead Acceleration/Throttle Stuck