Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

Waxing 09 Classic Model

Old 05-12-2009, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waxing 09 Classic Model

I recieved my B5 Blue Classic R/T at the end of April and the rain has stopped here, but need to wait for the pollen to go away to detail my car. Has anybody had any experiencing of getting wax on the black strips on the 09 Classic models yet? I want to make sure to stay away from the strips with the wax if I need to. I am afraid of getting wax on them and having the wax discolor my strips. I know on other cars that I have had with pinstrips it doesn't matter but these are bolder, don't want to mess them up. Any help/suggestions would be welcomed.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too will await someones answer.But I have seen commercials touting a wax product called ICE. It said it was safe for plastic, metal and stripeing. I'm not sure, maybe someone will chime in.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:01 PM

dont wax the car. just wash it and use meguiars quick detailer with a micro-fiber cloth,beside it will look better and you wont get swirl marks in your paint/clearcoat.....have to get out of the 60's mentality. i HIGHLY doubt your car is going to sit outside and be driven in the snow/salt-no need to make stripes look like crap and fill the crevices with wax.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:06 AM

My car does set outside all the time. I do use Mothers Showtime but it will still get contaminants on the paint that will have to be clayed and then waxed. I hear a lot of people say that with clear coats you don't need to wax them but I do not believe it. The paint will still be rough to the touch and clothes will drag on it, they do need to be cleaned and waxed on occasion. If the car never sees light of day then maybe you don't need to wax them but I will be driving mine as a daily driver. It will get dirty.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:25 PM

Default What I have used on my R/T with hood to fender stripe

I used Mother's new car paste wax ( has no cleaner in it or abrasive ) . I got it at Pep Boy's. And carefully stayed away from the silver stripe even though I did get a little on it with no effect. I use the Mother's detail wax after most wash job's as my car is Black. Has no effect on the stripe. But I don't know how the stripe on your car is. I use baby diaper's after they have been washed a few time's. The cloth type. I have heard Ice is good also. But not to mix brand's of stuff . I tried some Meguares detail when I ran out of Mother's detail and it made a mess on the paint. I had to rewax that area.

Last edited by KyChallengerR/T6spd; 05-15-2009 at 06:27 PM. Reason: wording
Old 05-16-2009, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by jjsipes
My car does set outside all the time. I do use Mothers Showtime but it will still get contaminants on the paint that will have to be clayed and then waxed. I hear a lot of people say that with clear coats you don't need to wax them but I do not believe it. The paint will still be rough to the touch and clothes will drag on it, they do need to be cleaned and waxed on occasion. If the car never sees light of day then maybe you don't need to wax them but I will be driving mine as a daily driver. It will get dirty.
JJ, you are right on. Don't wax your car and see what happens over time. I can tell you it won't be pretty, clear coat or not. Waxing, if done properly will not produce "noticeable" swirls.

What kinds of strips are on the Classic? Are they different than those on the SRT? If they are the same you wax them just like the car, just don't use a lot of paste when you get near the ends of the strips. If they are like the old strips that turn white when waxed then you just need to find a product that says that won't happen. I believe Ice, as Lear mentioned, is one of those, though I can't vouch for it personally.

My advice would be to go on line to meguiars.com and they will answer all your questions and tell you what product to use.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:42 AM

I'm getting some of this stuff put on Wed. I'll let everyone know how well it does or doesn't do. Since I drive it daily, I don't think it would be a bad investment. And the place I'm getting it from, not the link that I'm sending, will be putting it on any time I do a detail for "free".

http://www.magicseal.com.au/glare.htm
Old 05-18-2009, 07:44 PM

The stripes on my 09 get the same tretment I've given other matt black vinyl stripes for years on my cars....and I know your gonna cringe when I tell you. WD-40! After I wax the car I spray some WD on a paper towel and go over the black stripes. Then I wipe them down with a clean cotton or microfiber cloth and they look great. The black is rich and dark with no swirl marks and even if a small amount gets on the just waxed paint it rubs right off. Been doing it for years and never had a problem. BTW, I do all my own paint and body work as well as vinyl application so I'm familiar with any degradation or ill effects on paint and vinyl. After many years and many cars, no prob....try it.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by eecom
The stripes on my 09 get the same tretment I've given other matt black vinyl stripes for years on my cars....and I know your gonna cringe when I tell you. WD-40! After I wax the car I spray some WD on a paper towel and go over the black stripes. Then I wipe them down with a clean cotton or microfiber cloth and they look great. The black is rich and dark with no swirl marks and even if a small amount gets on the just waxed paint it rubs right off. Been doing it for years and never had a problem. BTW, I do all my own paint and body work as well as vinyl application so I'm familiar with any degradation or ill effects on paint and vinyl. After many years and many cars, no prob....try it.
I used to use silicon on my roadrunner hood stripes...made them black as all get out.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:14 PM

Hands down the best stuff out there, remember you get what you pay for.

http://www.zainostore.com/

Quick Reply: Waxing 09 Classic Model