Notices
Dodge Challenger SE Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger SE should be placed here.

Well I don't drive a General Lee

Old 07-05-2009, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

counting all my RO's the car has been at the dealerships 13 times, the crappy thing about this is that since the car doesn't datalog or throw any codes Chrysler COULD just walk away and say they don't see a problem.... I hope I will hear from the DSM this week as I need a car, I've given the shop the ok to get the parts anyways, 1 way or another I need a car, unless I buy a new one elsewhere, but the point is either they will make this right or they have a lawsuit on their hands. THe best part is that if i use my insurance company, they will go after CHysler but they have advised me that they will no longer carry the policy on my car as it is a liability regarding the mechanical issues over the past 9mos..... WTF!!!! so I'm pretty much in a ****ty situation, we'll see what comes out his week, I'm just hoping they accept the fault and fix the car, I love the car, and have put some time and money into it getting it where it is today, I'd hate to see it all go to waste.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:40 AM

here in the states, if your car is in the shop for the SAME problem 3 or 4 times within the first year, and is out of service each time, It's a Lemon..
If it is documented on the RO, you get a new car..
(not without some hassle..)
Once it goes over the first year time frame, they only give a prorated amount..
Old 07-05-2009, 11:54 AM

I just read your latest saga, CC. That's really bad. I think you definitely have a lemon on your hands and would be much better off without it. I'm truly sorry to hear of all your problems, as I know how much you love the car.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:57 PM

^ thanks man, I do love this car, and I was never a Dodge guy to begin with. I have to say I've gotten attached to it and have enjoyed the car when it was running, I hate to have to part with it, but for my saefty and my families safety, it's what I have to do.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:00 PM

imagine if you were on the highway and the thing shut down you would pretty much have had har car destroyed by getting hit by someone or drifting into the guard rail and probably getting killed i can see a law suit comin outta this
Old 07-05-2009, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by canadiancanuck
. my insurance company (has) advised me that they will no longer carry the policy on my car as
it is a liability regarding the mechanical issues over the past 9mos.
Did they advise you in written form.?
If so, take that with you when you talk to your dealership
about wanting a new car..
The more documentation you have about the potential liability problems,
the more they are liable if and when someone is injured or killed
because they did not want to get you into a safe car..

Once they KNOW they are in a potential liabilty situation,
it is up to THEM to take care of it and resolve it..
(and I have a feeling the ball will start rolling much faster..)
Old 07-05-2009, 06:57 PM

^ yeah that's very true, I've expressed all the info to them and they have my insurance info. But the issue right now is the financial situation I doubt they would even offer the new car, but they will fix whatever they can by whatever means, I think......we'll see..
Old 07-06-2009, 05:42 PM

well...... I just got the estimate. $6238.46 and this is just a preliminary estimate as they haven't really torn down anything, we are in a holding pattern waiting to hear from a DSM. I feel bad I had to light the fire to get an answer at this point today. I think me showing up at the dealership and emptying out the car left them perplexed. The estimator came and said "oh hey Chris I have your estimate done now... did you want me to email it to you.." I looked at him and said "at this point I didn't care what you do with it, I'm walking away from the car, and that it isn't worth the $30,000 to put my family behind the wheel of that death trap" and left calmly. Well I had calls out the ying yang from everyone at the dealership........ so now we sit, and the kicker is apparently I don't have the "special" coverage that gets me into a rental during the time down..... so now I have to wait and then call Chrysler and see what they will do.

It's frustrating, and I hate to think about the worst case of this, I'm sure is an easy issue to tend to..... oh well, I'm going to just wait it out and see what happens.

Last edited by canadiancanuck; 07-07-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:24 AM

so I get to work and have message to contact the dealership, and to my surprise have been informed that Chrysler will not be responsible fo rthe damage, however they will respectfully repair the mechanical issue but cannot do this until the body work has been completed...... WTF!!! and that it's best I just contact my insurance and let them deal with it.

So now due to a REPEATED & DOCUMENTED problem, Chrysler is not going to assume any responsibilty and wished me luck on my own. I contacted Chrysler Canada again and was told that I would have to wait 72hrs for a response and that I should just let my insurance handle this. I'm not going to to let my insurance handle this because a: this is a reoccuring mechanical problem, b: my rates will increase and they have stated they will no longer carry the policy on my car as it a mechanical liability.

I love how today's dealerships tend to pass the buck rather than just deal with it professionally and ensure customer service. Nope they just shuffle you out the door and hope you'll just slink away.

I have to say I am beyond frustrated at this point, I am sick to my stomach thinking of a large repair bill that I may have to face to fix this POS only to be stuck with it cause I can't sell it, and it will sit in the garage cause I can't insure it.

I've contacted a lawyer, and conatcted a local news media consumer watch guru to help me, so I now wait to see what else can be done.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:48 PM

There is also an 'arbitration' board..
It is an independent group that decides on cases like this..
Both you and Chrysler are bound by it's decision..

so sorry to hear about your troubles..
I had a Chevy 1-ton that I used to make a living..
It had 2 fuel tanks.. The back one would not pump to the front one,
effectively making it unusable..
They replaced the tank 3 times ( 4 tanks total.)
but it took until I had 74,000 miles on it and 13 months of ownership to get to the point I tried the Lemon Law..
verdict was I would get prorated for 25% of value.. (100,000 miles is 0%..)
(meaning I would get, at most, maybe 18% towards another vehicle..)
Fortunately the 4th tank did the trick and I drove it until 225,000 miles without another problem..
Got out of the trucking business and sold it to buy the Challenger..

Quick Reply: Well I don't drive a General Lee