Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Unique Ram Air Set-up

Old 09-06-2009, 04:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Unique Ram Air Set-up

Check out this unique ram-air set-up by Cervini. I question, however, if the existing hood scoop have a sufficient square area to be a truly effective system. I guess the dyno and 1/4 will determine the results.

https://www.cervinis.com/product.asp...1&id=1225#4385
Old 09-06-2009, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's certainly a nice looking layout, although I too question if and how functional it really is. I'd like to see more information on this system than just a single one paragraph write-up.

Originally Posted by Cuda340
Check out this unique ram-air set-up by Cervini. I question, however, if the existing hood scoop have a sufficient square area to be a truly effective system. I guess the dyno and 1/4 will determine the results.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Cuda340

NO they will not..in fact only 1 vehicle during the muscle car era had a hood scoop efficient enuff to force cold air in..and that car and scope was on the AAR challengers..all others thru testing years later were found to be all hype and no substance...in my opinion the best looking of all the scoops was the shaker set-up on the mustang and the true cobra cars...2nd best looking with my eyes was on the 69 hurst/olds 442....funky but way kewl..cuda shakers were my 3rd favorite

ps: all manufactures played games back then and still do today...one of the more memorable one was harley davidson pulling off one of the better ones...everybody in the early 70's just had to have a harley dirt bike (least in my area)...problem was what harley put out at the race was no where close to what i could buy off the showroom floor (why only jap bikes for me since 1978)..needless to say take it with a grain of salt any manufactures claim on ram air efficiency or other

Last edited by snooter; 09-14-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plymouth made several as well as Dodge. NACA hood scoop on an AAR Cuda and the six-pack hood scoop on the 69 lift off fiberglass hood. Dodge super bee on the 69 with the lift off hood. T/A Challengers were nice also. But to get the full effect you needed to be 8" up above the hood to get a ram effect. Thats how they do it at the strip. Best bet on a street car is to go to the grill and pull air at a high pressure area.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:41 AM

I have an old “tech” write-up by Chrysler were they studied all the “factory” scoops available up through the early ‘70s. Using wind tunnel studies they coincided that scoops mounted low such as the ’70 Challengers, and Cudas, were ineffective due to their positioning which may be why they never made them functional. The shaker hood scoop while impressive looking also fell into the same category due to its openings being basically in the same location. The exception to the rule seemed to be the AAR Cudas, due to their use of the NASA duct style they used which was more effective in drawing in air. They found the best factory hood scoop ever used on the Challenger was the T/A type. They also mentioned that the 6-pak style used on both the Superbee and Road Runner was like wise effective, because its opening was located above the hood.
The 69 Road Runner “Ram Air” system seemed to make little sense as the air just flowed right over the hood “vents”, but again it looked better than the stock hood. They also studied many of the “racing scoops” and found the Tunnel Ram types to be the most effective, but that the early Super-Stock scoops also performed, mainly due to their opening size and mounting location. The Cowl induction type also draws a lot of air for the low pressure area in front os the windshield, which is why it's used in NASCAR, but Chrysler never offered this type scoop (and it's main user is of course on the Chevy SS models).
But the bottom-line seemed to be that unless the scoop was raised a few inched above the hood…they were not that effective in drawing in air.
I wouldn't expect much in the way of power gains from the Cervini system. Their claims like most are based on "their" studies, not outside sources......A good CAI would be just as effective, or perhaps even better in the long run.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:56 PM

It's "NACA" ducts, not "NASA" . National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics, they were the precursor to NASA , so its pretty close.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by MaybeChallenger
It's "NACA" ducts, not "NASA" . National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics, they were the precursor to NASA , so its pretty close.
I stand corrected...being a pilot I know you are correct....but when typing with so many facts, many get lost or change from the time it takes to run from the brain to the fingers.....The brain knows how to spell, but the fingers don't...........good catch on your part...thanks
Old 10-28-2009, 11:13 AM

Funny that you mentioned the cowl induction being mainly a chevy thing. I saw the cowl hood on the Cervini site and thought, "That looks weird, makes the Challenger look like a bed-less el camino."
Old 10-28-2009, 07:53 PM

I'm an airplane nut so I notice things like that. I'm still saving up some money to get in my own Challenger cockpit ! Just hope they don't cancel production or I might be driving around in a Fiat 500, NOTTTTTTT !
Old 11-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Banned

Default Unique Ram Air Set up

AIR is still early in development, and as such, the stories are still on the storyboard, so to say. Background stories and such will be released when they become available, and by the proper people through the proper channels for I am not one to dabble in that sort of thing.