Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Dodge should prep for manufacturer crossovers

Old 10-04-2006, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge should prep for manufacturer crossovers

I believe dodge should prep for muscle car customer crossovers from ford and especially gm. I was at a camaro forum and many posters talked about how they were not totally satisfied with the new concept design and how much of a discrase the GTO design was. I also read many posts about how good the Challenger looks and how DCX got it right. I believe the market for this car will expand to muscle car lovers who thought they loved gm or ford.

I am a prime example. I owned a TA, it was my first car. 86, T-top with a 350. I loved it and it broke down alot and didn't love me back. I had an alliance with gm because I drove one not because the car was reliable or for any other logical reason. Dodge has lured me in its corner with the Challenger and the Charger. I believe that they should be ready to deal with other "on the fence" muscle car lovers of all ages.

Like general motors, I hope DCX does not make the following mistakes

-Not listen to what the customers want
-Produce a small amount of Challengers
-Not include a v-6 (GTO)
-Have only one package options
-Set the msrp to high initially. Don't burn bridges with customers
-Let dealers price gouge
Old 10-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Dodge should prep for manufacturer crossovers

I agree with 90% of what you said. I think that Dodge could win over a bunch of customers from GM and Ford as they have many times due to styling. I agree they should make an affordable V6 option and charge a fair price for the other models. I agree they shouldn't underproduce, but they should be careful not to over produce either. You just never know.

I don't know how much control DCX has over their dealerships and their pricing. They may not have control over that. I know we have had disputes about this in the past and I'd like to avoid that if possible. All I'm going to say about that is the way they do business is they respond to the demand by setting a higher price due to a limit supply and there is no way that the top model is going to be wide spread; however, I believe it will be priced better than the GT500.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Old 10-05-2006, 02:36 AM

I agree. I’m an Oldsmobile fan. I never owned a muscle car though (closest I’ve come was my 1st car, ‘79 Cutlass Supreme). But I always wanted a ’69 442. Now that I can afford one, I don’t want to spend 30k+ on a 37 year old vehicle. That’s why I’m onboard for the challenger. I like how they kept it like the original.

I wish Oldsmobile was still around. It would have been interesting to see their answer to all this. GM what were you thinking?
Old 10-05-2006, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site Olds442! I also have never owned a muscle car...yet...not until I get a new Challenger. I agree that it does seem kind of silly to spend that much money on vehicle that old.

Although I don't share your love to Oldsmobile due to having a bad track record with reliability (all 3 Olds we owned were unreliable), I agree GM shouldn't have dropped them, at least not without giving them one last real chance to turn around. I think they should have offered the GTO package for a new Olds 442, except have actual retro styling. That would have been nice if they would have done that.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts

Old 10-07-2006, 02:12 AM

Hey RLSH700, thanks for the welcome. I know my ’79 Cutlass was very unreliable! I spent more money getting the car fixed, than what I bought it for.

PS You’re doing an awesome job as moderator!
Old 10-10-2006, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Olds442

Hey RLSH700, thanks for the welcome. I know my ’79 Cutlass was very unreliable! I spent more money getting the car fixed, than what I bought it for.
Your very welcome. I'm glad you decided to join.

Yeah I've been there before. I think we spend more on my 1996 Olds Ciera than we paid for it and it still had problems with it. It's a funny concept having to pay more to keep a car running than you originally did when you bought it.

PS You’re doing an awesome job as moderator!
Thank you very much! I really appreciate that.

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first to 2000 posts