Notices
Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Factory Wiring Harness

Old 05-01-2009, 05:10 PM

Location: I have moved to Challengertalk.com as a direct result of this site not being able to handle security
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Wiring Harness

So my R/T has the most basic stereo. It plays Mp3's but doesn't display ID3 information.
A buddy of mine owns a 2009 Jeep and he got the stereo right above mine that has bluetooth capability, Sirius Radio capability, and list the Mp3 directories.
He just upgraded to a Sony touch screen stereo and I bought his factory stereo off of him.

I just tried putting it in my Challenger though, and when I started the car, all my gauge icons lit up and where the mileage normally is it said "no bus" and the stereo wouldn't work. I'm assuming that I need more wires from the harness plugged into the back of the stereo, but not sure how to do this, any ideas?

(pics for refererance to what I'm talking about) and btw, I don't care about bluetooth or Sirius, I just hate seeing nothing but track numbers. When you have over a 100 Mp3's on one disc, telling me I'm hearing track 72 really doesn't friggin help me at all...

Current Stereo

the "Just about Free upgrade"

Back of upgrade. the current only has a plug for the antenna and the far right wire block, I'm guessing that the yellow antennae plug is for Sat radio, and the middle wire block is why my car freaked out when i tried using the "upgrade"..

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:56 PM

Location: I have moved to Challengertalk.com as a direct result of this site not being able to handle security

no one else has encountered this yet?
Old 05-05-2009, 11:57 AM

Well, I think I found the solution to the problem on my own... judging by the participation on this forum, I got a feeling I'm going to be doing a LOT of things on my own..

Best of luck to everyone! I might check back occassionally, but I have a deployment coming up and there are numerous other forums out there that seems to have more interaction on them.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:20 PM

If you'd care to share your fix, I'm sure that many of us (well... at least me) would appreciate it.
I have the same "base" stereo, and am planning an upgrade at some point.

Try to remember that this is uncharted territory (I keep thinking of the ancient maps with the legend "Here Be Dragons...") for most of us.
FWIW ... I'm guessing that the Charger forums might have some answers, since the cars are very similar under the skin.

Good luck with your deployment. Stay safe.
As a police officer friend of mine once said, "Always attempt to maintain a low profile!"

And thanks for your service.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Raydar
If you'd care to share your fix, I'm sure that many of us (well... at least me) would appreciate it.
I have the same "base" stereo, and am planning an upgrade at some point.

Try to remember that this is uncharted territory (I keep thinking of the ancient maps with the legend "Here Be Dragons...") for most of us.
FWIW ... I'm guessing that the Charger forums might have some answers, since the cars are very similar under the skin.

Good luck with your deployment. Stay safe.
As a police officer friend of mine once said, "Always attempt to maintain a low profile!"

And thanks for your service.

I called a local dealer service department.

There is a 3 character code on the faceplate of the stereo mine is "RES"

What he thinks the problems are is that the stereo I was trying to put in came out of a 2009 Jeep (it was also a "RES") and it probably came with an amp package of some sort. Because one of the two (mine or the new stereo) doesn't have a built in amp or something like that, it was just confusing the computer Bus in the car.

He recommended that if I want a better head unit, i just go full aftermarket.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by tattooed_pariah
I called a local dealer service department.

He recommended that if I want a better head unit, i just go full aftermarket.
Cool. Thanks.
I was kind of leaning that way, provided I can find something that will fit, look decent, and sound decent.
The Challenger has all kinds of room for subs.
My other cars are two different Pontiac Fieros, and my (recently sold) 2001 Sonoma.
Not a lot of room for a system.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:44 PM

I believe you will need to take your car to a dealer. In some other posts I read something about having to reprogram your computer for the new radio.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:56 PM
Banned

Default Factory Wiring Harness

Hey, got me a new 95 bird after deciding all the stuff my old one needed was too much. All is well except for one thing... there is no stock wiring in the car for a radio or the speakers. The hillbilly that owned it before me took it all out. How much would it cost to just run new speaker wire? Is there any write ups on how to run a head unit if there are no stock connectors? Would I just be better off getting a complete factory stereo harness from a junkyard? Thanks in advance for any help. _______=== XRumer 5.0 Palladium RULEZ! ===
Old 01-03-2010, 05:54 AM
Banned

Default About your message.Profi?

Great news!XRumer 5.0.12 Palladium was released, just ask Google for more info