Notices
New Member Area Are you new to DodgeChallenger.com? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

After market Sunroof

Old 08-21-2010, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question After market Sunroof

I was wanting peoples knowledge/opinion on getting an after market sunroof installed in my R/T. One salesman at dodge said it would lower the resale value of the challenger since it wasnt factory installed. Is this true, any opinions?

Thanks....
Old 08-22-2010, 02:10 PM

If you are thinking in terms of future value, then the salesman would be correct, as most who buy as an investment want the vehicle to be stock for the most part. And, while most small "improvements" such as electic ignition on older Mopars are usually over looked a sunroof is a major modification, and one that is not easy to return to original condition.
Additionally, many aftermarket sunroofs simply look to much like they were added.
Having said all that, it's your car and if you are making it for "you" and your enjoyment with no thought of resale value....than it's really up to you...do what makes you happy.
Personally, I wouldn't do it, but it's your call.
(I should state that I have the factory sunroof, and love it...but I knew I wanted the sunroof and so I purchased my Challenger with that in mind).
Old 08-23-2010, 05:35 AM

Thanks Joe, I appreciate. I think I'll go ahead and pass on that sunroof just because. Though I think I'll keep it for a long time, I dont need the value of the car reduced unnecessarily.

Matt
Old 08-23-2010, 06:07 AM

personally i am waiting for someone to come out with a vinyl roof kit
that i can install on mine.
i dont think if its done correctly it would devalue the car but then again
i dont really care either.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by wp23n
personally i am waiting for someone to come out with a vinyl roof kit
that i can install on mine.
i dont think if its done correctly it would devalue the car but then again
i dont really care either.
I read a few issues back in Mopar Collectors Guide, that either they or someone else were building a new Challenger with a vinyl top along with the small SE type back window like the 1970 SE had. I am looking forward to seeing how it looks, as I owned two RT/SE's back in the day. Not to sure I would want the small SE window, but still interested in how the whole package will look like on a new Challenger....
Old 08-25-2010, 07:02 AM

i wouldnt want the small window either but really think a 70 style black vinyl would look great on the car
Old 09-01-2010, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Riker
I was wanting peoples knowledge/opinion on getting an after market sunroof installed in my R/T. One salesman at dodge said it would lower the resale value of the challenger since it wasnt factory installed. Is this true, any opinions?

Thanks....
One thing you might want to consider as well...Will an aftermarket sunroof installation affect the warranty on the car? If it leaks, and aftermarket sunroofs are notorious for leaks, will the warranty cover any damage to the interior? My bet is it won't. Just a little food for thought.