Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Weighty Challenger?

Old 12-20-2006, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weighty Challenger?

Does anyone know what the projected weight will be of the 2008 Challenger?

I presume since it will be built on the new shorter platform (LY)? it should be considerably lighter. I remember reading something like 300 pounds lighter than the Charger. Can anyone shed some light on this?

If so, how much will this lower 0-60 times?

Following this logic, shouldn't a lower weight also contribute to shorter stopping distances and also better handling? Hey, I might even bet better gas mileage!

All opinions welcome.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Weighty Challenger?

It would be nice if it lost about 500 lbs and bring it down to 3500lbs. General rule is every 100 lbs is .1 seconds off of your clock in the qtr mile.

Physics says it will stop faster and handle better especially since it uses IRS. But with IRS, I wouldn't plan to run it on the drag strip.

You might look at the discussion on the post "Why is the Challenger so heavy?????? " dated back in March.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:03 AM

Jeremiah, are you telling me we should expect at least 3/10ths of a second faster times in a 0-60 mph run?

Don't plan on any drag strip runs, only stop light drags!

Ya know ya gotta obey the law, and ya can't be going that fast in the short space of a traffic signal area. (100 feet or so)
Old 12-21-2006, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator

One of my favorite scenes is in "Meet the Parents" where they are racing home between stop lights. I laughed so hard I almost rolled out of the chair.

What I am saying is if you lost 500lbs then you could get .5 seconds removed from your time in the quarter mile. This is just a general rule everybody
uses in drag racing.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:12 AM

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

I am on the camp of losing weight. I am a big proponent of power/weight ratio and it's a whole lot easier to take it off than adding power.

That is why cars like Lotus and Porsche are so fast is because they weight less is such a smaller engine. I would think 3500-3700 would be good.

On average every 100 lbs removes about a .1 seconds off of the clock.

Jeremiah, very prophetic words! I am hopeful that the Dodge boys will put the Challenger on a diet.

I also admire the Ferrari and Corvette engineers. They look at everything in terms of increasing performance, be it skidpad, acceleration, skidpad handling and gas mileage.

I just love the Corvette for developing the balsa wood sandwich subfloor which lowers the weight, add strength and also adds an element of sound deadening.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:21 AM

Rober DeNiro (retired CIA operative) street racing his prospective son-in-law Ben Stiller (male nurse). That is one funny scene!!![8D][8D]

Makes me wanna take the Vette out of storage and go for a CRUISE!
Old 12-21-2006, 12:21 AM
Administrator

the concept weighs 4160.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:28 AM

Bad Mirada,

isn't the concept built on the current LX platform?

Please correct me, but isn't the new LY platform purported to be at least 4" shorter and presumably also lighter because of their advanced engineering design compared to when the original 300C came out?

Let's assume they take out only 300 pounds from the concept weight of 4160, that gets us 3860 lbs. Would this new weight be competitive in the marketplace? Who's got the stats to compare?
Old 01-03-2007, 03:53 PM
Banned

I will not buy it if it weighs 4k lbs plus. It will be too heavy to be an effectve hot rod. I could put it on a CF diet but you are talking major $$$.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Administrator

the LY platform is just a modified LX platform...which is 4" short than the LX platform. the fender tag on the DETCHA car says 4160...the production car is supposed to have the same specs as the concept...or so they say