Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Will the 6.1 hemi and 6 speed be only offered in the SRT's?

Old 12-22-2006, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will the 6.1 hemi and 6 speed be only offered in the SRT's?

I've been really wrestling with what I'm going to be satisfied with regarding the options on the Challenger. I've been reading that DCX will make somewhere between 30,000 and 50,000 Challys this year, of which 3000 will be the SRT's. Now does this mean that only the SRT's will get the 6.1 engine with the six speed? Will the R/T have the 5.7 and the 6.1 and the 6 speed as an option? I hope so because that's what I want. However if the SRT is the only way to get the 6.1 and 6 speed and being that there will be only 3000 of them, then that makes it highly unlikely that I'll be getting one. Hell, they're making 10,000 Shelbys this year and look at those price mark-ups. If all the other Challys are 5.7 with autosticks and maybe 5 speed MT's, then I'm really going to have to consider not getting a Chally this year and hope to get one next year (if I haven't bought something else). I may go for the 5.7 R/T with a 5 speed MT but I THINK i'll be dissapointed and that's really not the way to buy a new car.

What are your thoughts?
Old 12-22-2006, 06:24 AM

Default RE: Will the 6.1 hemi and 6 speed be only offered in the SRT's?

"then I'm really going to have to consider not getting a Chally this year"

I meant to say "the first year" and wait for the next year.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too am at a crossroads, I want a six-speed more than what hemi engine I choose. I would like to get the 6.1, but I would also like to have the MDS. You don't have MDS with the 6.1. I also plan on supercharging the engine. So if I get the 5.7 and I supercharge the motor, it will be putting down some decent #s as far as horsepower and torque. My sons 5.7 in his Daytona seems to move out pretty well and when you think about it the horsepower it is more than what a 383 put out in the 70s. 350 for the 5.7 and 325 for the 383. Weight of the cars are similar. I had a 383 in a 69 Charger R/T. I'm not sure but I think my R/T may of had more torque. But not more horsepower. I'm still weighing it all out. I know you get more with the SRT than with the R/T, as far as brakes and other additions. But I'm not a real patient man. So I may just take the 5.7 if it has a 6-speed and just mod what I want. I would still have 8000-10,000 $ to add to my Challenger before I get into SRT-8 range. I hear that the 6.1 is harder to supercharge than the 5.7. Maybe due to compression????? I'm not real sure why but I will be looking into it. So decisions, decisions.... Whats your take on it.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:18 AM

I've also heard that MDS is not on the 6.1. But what is the reason it's not on it? Is it technically not feasible or just DCX chooses not to?

Regarding the 6 speed, I would say that is my number one priorty too. I've been impatient about when DCX is going to begin taking orders, but now I'm kinda wanting for DCX to wait until Ford and Chevy tip their hands on what they'll be offering in the Mustang and Camaro. However, if DCX starts taking orders before we hear any news from the other two and I can get the 6.1 and the 6 speed in the Chally, then I'll do it. If the choice is an R/T 5.7 with a 6 speed, then I just might do it. If the 6 speed isn't offered in the Chally, then I'm probably going to wait.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:34 AM

My exact sentiment. I want to be patient, but when they arrive, it will be very hard. I'm hopeing that when I tag and insure my 71 Challenger this month, that it will allow me to be more patient. I plan on driving the tires off of it. That reminds me... put on list to buy new back tires.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:01 PM

lear4406,

71 Challenger! I'm impressed! BTW, I tried to buy a new '72 Challenger (back in 1972) and was told I didn't earn enough at the time. Here it is coming up on 35 years later, I make about 20 times what I did back then and I'm still wondering if I can afford a Challenger (depending on crazy mark-up prices like the Shelby). Damn, some things never change.

You'll be making mods to a new car under warranty? I know from reading these forums that many people start modding their new cars, but are you concerned that the warranty is junked?

Old 12-22-2006, 03:14 PM

I will most likely mod the car and void the warranty. I will try to talk myself out of this decission. My sons Daytona already has flowmaster 40s on it and 3 3/4 inch tip with tinted windows. All my other cars are highly modded also. I just can't seem to leave them alone. Somebody.... somebody stop me now! It seems that once you start, you don't know when enough is enough.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:13 PM

6-speed tranny is a requirement for me now with my next muscle car purchase. I hope the Challenger has this option. I can't wait to order one. This wait is starting to suck but I will be at at military training for the next 5 months so that should make the wait go quick for me.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Hopefully we will hear more good news at the 2007 Auto shows where are due out in a month.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:05 PM

You want to talk about being at a cross-road. I want a 392 Hemi, 6-speed, 4:11 gears, and no a/c or radio. I'm not interested in staying cool while jammin' to Van Halen. I want 1/4 mile performance. THAT'S IT !!!!!!!! Merry Christmas.

Quick Reply: Will the 6.1 hemi and 6 speed be only offered in the SRT's?