Notices
New Member Area Are you new to DodgeChallenger.com? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

I am new here too :-)

Old 01-05-2007, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am new here too :-)

Hi Guys.
I suppose I am new here, but I have a feeling that I am not?? Confused. But I searched for my name and could not find it, So I suppose I am new

Here is a note about me.

I am an auto engineer by formation, but have worked all my life in admin positions, taking care of family business. Now, having more time on my hands, I am putting quite a bit into my best hobby....well, my second best

I have been collecting and restoring old cars for ten years, but only got into "muscle" last year, and man, I really got hooked

Amongst the "Chrysler" collection, my prides are 2. The first is the very rare Conv 71 Chally 383 Magnum - manual, which I understand only 41 were ever exported. No idea how many manufactured?
The second is also 71, 383 magnum R/T Auto, absolutely original and is in perfect condition, with only 45,000 orig km. Both cars will be getting a ground up resto in due course.
The rest of my cars heve been tampered with, but mostly in very good condition.

I have a nice collection of rare Trans Ams too, but will not talk of them on this site.

Please share with me photos of my favorite 3 71 Challys.

By the way, this is a great site[sm=smiley20.gif].
Old 01-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Default RE: I am new here too :-)

how many cars do you own?
Old 01-05-2007, 12:10 PM

Actually in all twenty four cars out of which "Chryslers" are seven, one being a beautiful 56 Desoto Fireflite
Old 01-05-2007, 12:39 PM

hows the engineering job is it fun and are you rich???????
Old 01-05-2007, 01:00 PM

welcome!!
Old 01-05-2007, 02:32 PM

Welcome to the site. Sounds like you have a nice collection there.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:06 AM
Banned

Awesome collection bro. Where so you live ?? The landscape looks a little bite like southern Italy or Greece.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awsome, your from Beirut,Lebanon. How did those cars end up there with you. Please tell us the story on all the Challengers and how they made their way half way around the world. It has got to be an interesting story. The background in those pictures are absoulutly beautiful, as the cars are also. Welcome to the sight and please share your stories with us.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:13 AM

Hey, thank you all for your welcome and nice words. Hope you all had a nice week end

Ok, to share with you the story of my cars, and how the cars got here.
Lebanon has always been pro American cars, and very few European cars were seen here, except for Mercedes, which was abundant and used as taxi cars all ove the place.
Early seventies, we had a civil war break out and American imports slowed down to almost nill. European cars started infiltrating here and many "cheap & used" cars were being dumped here, especially that during war, one would not want to be seen in a new expensive car! Thus, American cars in general, and "muscle" cars specifically became non existant, except with those who had already bought them, either directly from the agent here in Lebanon, or imported them direct from the states.

The war stayed for some 20 years, during which time world recession came in to add to hardship, thus making the ownesrship of muscle-gas guzzlers a non desireable thing. Such cars ended up rotting away, or kept and forgotten in garages.

In the meantime, I was working in Nigeria (Africa) where our family business is, and decided to move back to Lebanon 5 years ago.
My no.1 hobby id collecting & restoring old cars, which I have been doing modestly in Lebanon, as I was not spending much time here. But when I moved back, I "geared up" my hobby, but it mainly consisted of European cars.
A year ago, I met another Lebanese collector over the internet through the Mercedes club (IPOG), who brought to my attention the nice "muscle catches" one can find in Lebanon, which brought back nice memories of such cars.
I went for it, and my first buy was a 72 455 HO Trans Am, as I wanted to buy the rarer type of muscle cars. Shortly after. I found the convertible 71 Chally and thereafter I was "sniffing around" for any rare muscle that I could find
All the friends that I know and mechanics that I deal with also would call me to tell me of one that they know of, as muscle car mechanics are not many and as such the owners would basicly seek the same mechanics in view of their old experience.
Occasionally, I would buy other "common" muscle cars, but my intention is to restore them and sell them, in the hope of reducing the investment of the ones I am keeping.

So, going back to the origin of the cars, most of them were bought from the agents in Lebanon at the time, and others due to the abscence of documentation and sometimes the abscence of the data plate, their origin is not clear.
The other 71 R/T has all its records intact including its build sheet. This was owned by a doctor in USA, bought by another Lebanese doctor who was living in USA, then he imported the car to Lebanon. It changed hands once until I found it. It is in perfect condition and absolutely original, except for the instrument pannel which was changed by the previous owner. The car will need repainting and new seats to make it look brand new.

Currently the project I am so very much excited about is my Conv Chally, which, as I said is very rare. This poor soul has been so much tampered with, and here is what it went through.
When I bought it, it was Automatic, with all red interior (awful looking) with "recaro" seats. One of the previous owners changed all to red and painted what should not be painted. It really looks awful. The front "Recaro" seats were used as a model to make the back one the same. The 383 Magnum engine was swapped for a 400.
As per the VIN, I started tracking previous owners to find out where all the different parts went to, and located the manual gearbox. The man was very happy to exchange everything back. So now, the car is manual again.
My investigation went on until I finally tracked the owner who swapped the 383 Magnum for the 400. I am still trying to meet the children (as the owner died) and check through the engines their late father left behind to see if really the 383 is there. They have no idea abou
Old 01-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site, Challenger_7. Very interesting story. What kind of family business did were you the administrator for? I must say your English so very good (probably better than mine).

College Graduate:
B.S. in Marketing
A.A. in nothing

The first 426 Dual Quad member.
The first to 2000 posts

Quick Reply: I am new here too :-)