Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Appearance (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/appearance-13/)
-   -   Manual Shifter Boot on Auto (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/appearance-13/manual-shifter-boot-auto-7424/)

BLK 6050 03-24-2010 06:22 AM

Manual Shifter Boot on Auto

2 Attachment(s)
Well... NOW... I am ready for my trip to this weeks "Mopars at the Strip" in Las Vegas, Nevada.....I have my manual shifter boot installed.....and I just love it! It really changes the look and feel of the interior. (Just have to keep reminding myself that it's an automatic!)

On the "other" Challenger site, members have been talking about this mod for a while, and it is well worth doing, trust me, this is a really easy and quick mod that anyone can do, just take your time. (Look Mom an automatic manual!!)
If you should have any questions feel free to ask.....

By the way..anyone needs or want a new shifter and trim ring..PM me as I am going to sell them.

wp23n 03-24-2010 09:18 AM

ok where the heck did you get it and what does it cost?

BLK 6050 03-24-2010 11:10 AM

It's a Dodge part:
#4779570AC (R/T) or 68052009AA (SRT8)....stay with the R/T part number, it's cheaper and from I understand....no difference between the two.
I believe it's called "Knob Gearshift" in their parts catalog. All you really want is the shifter boot....but unfortunately you need to order the entire assembly in order to get the boot (which is why I am selling the shifter and trim ring).
Because the shifter is included, the pricing is around 90.00 or so, depending on your dealer and his "discounts". Is it worth it......oh yes! I have had people look at my shifter and say it's a manual, then they see the gear selector and it was a let down for them.....not any more! No one will ever be able to tell it's not a real manual, unless of course they look real hard and notice the car is missing it's "third pedal".
If you decide to do this Mod, I can answer any questions you might have, but trust me.....it is a very easy job, and the results are great......

RareTA 03-24-2010 12:07 PM

Where did the pistol grip come from? That sure looks sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

BLK 6050 03-24-2010 01:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I purchased the shifter from:
Custom Pistol Grips
3470 Barrancas Ave
Pensacola, FL 32507
1-(800)-642-9464
www.challengerpistolgrip.com

It's been over a year so I don't know what the current pricing is (was $175.00). Mine is Carbon Fiber, but they also offered Wood (light and dark) as well as NOS Plastic replacements for the stock Mopar Hurst pistol grip shifters from the '70's.

RareTA 03-24-2010 03:34 PM

Thanks for the info. Now I have something else I have to sneak by the wife. Ha Ha

wp23n 03-25-2010 07:23 AM

mopar parts america has it for

$56.78 + $9.95 fedex ground S&H

4779570AC
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=214583

im going to have to check with my cousins husband as he runs a body shop and usually
can get me much cheaper prices.

example i paid -------SRT rear fascia $39.10------ hood struts---$52 and some change
i pay his cost plus state sales tax

Carl 03-31-2010 05:20 AM

How do I take off the shift knob on an auto. trans? I am converting to a manual shift boot and have eveything ready to install, but can't seem to unscrew the factory knob . Is there a retainer clip?

wp23n 03-31-2010 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Carl (Post 74893)
How do I take off the shift knob on an auto. trans? I am converting to a manual shift boot and have eveything ready to install, but can't seem to unscrew the factory knob . Is there a retainer clip?

Carl,
Welcome to the site, at the bottom of the shifter knob itself is a small
plastic chrome ring you separate that with a small screwdriver so it drops down the shifter shaft then the knob will pull straight off.

BLK 6050 04-03-2010 10:30 AM

I had my Challenger on display at last weeks "Mopars at the Strip" Show in Las Vegas, and not one person had any idea that my Challenger was an automatic. In fact, when I pointed out this Mod to several other Challenger owners they were truly amazed at how real it looked!
This is in many regards the "most bang for the buck Mod" you can do to the interior....I highly recommend it if you want to change the interior's look and feel.............