Notices
Appearance Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Ceramic coating vs PPF

Old 06-03-2018, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceramic coating vs PPF

I registered because I am considering getting my car protected…
I live in a place where it rains very often and the roads are not so good, I can see the damages caused by the road and the rain: scratches from stones and watermarks from acidic rains.

I looked for a solution and the best I could find so far were Paint Protection Films or Ceramic Coatings.

Firstly: PPF consist of wrapping your car in plastic to protect it from scratches and micro marrings. It is the best protection against stones. The problem is that it is pricy and it can alter the shine and looks.

Secondly: ceramic coating, it is a liquid coating (some are oil based and some are water based) it is cheaper, gives a shiny look and good protection (9H pencil-scale), it also makes the surface easier to clean thanks to hydrophobicity. On the other hand, the final result depends on how well the guy who applies it works and it the protection provided is less good than for films.

Doing more researches online I discovered this company called IGL Coatings that advertises a 10H hardness coating called Kenzo, and I thought I’d go for them since it is the best combination of protection and shines! But I am still a beginner in coatings so I’d like some more experienced guy’s advice.

So my question for you is, which one should I go for: PPF or Kenzo?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-05-2018, 07:08 PM

Hi Jkyra!
I am new myself but welcome to the forum anyway!
From what I understood from this article you can actually combine both PPF and ceramic coating. My suggestion is that you apply PPF on the most vulnerable areas and then apply your Kenzo Coating on top of it plus on the rest of the car, you'd get dem sick shinz and a very good protection too! It should also be easier to clean thanks to the hydrophobicity of the coating!
Of course that's a rich man's solution but that's really what I believe would be the best in your situation!
Old 06-07-2018, 06:15 PM

Hi AR1975!

Yeah I asked my detailer and he said that this would be my best shot too to have the best protection from PPF and the Shine and hydrophobicity (hence ease of cleaning)!
So I guess even if that's the most expensive solution. In the end, you don't need to pay as much for the cleaning etc...