Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Appearance (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/appearance-20/)
-   -   Media Blasting (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/appearance-20/media-blasting-6800/)

Robbaker 08-16-2009 06:24 AM

Media Blasting

Well, I'm giong to try my hand at media blasting my car. Never done it before, so it should be pretty interesting. If anyone has some advice, would love to hear it! I'll try and post some pic's of before, during and after, if it all works out!

Robbaker 09-02-2009 04:44 PM

Well, a quick update...my compressor isn't quite big/strong enough to be effective, think I have the wife talked into letting me get a good one! Wish me luck!

stevelegel 09-02-2009 06:37 PM

Boy, I don't know...I've done limited sandblasting and it really makes a mess. I've also stripped cars using DA sander and course grit. I'm not convinced that bare metal is a good idea. Factory base coats are real good. and that's where your media selection comes in.

I recently finished the stripping of undercoating from the 59 El Camino...heat gun and scraper followed by scotchbrite pads and laquer thinner. thankless, hard, dirty...uugghhhh

what is it you want to accomplish with the media blast anyway?

Robbaker 09-03-2009 05:22 AM

between media blast and sanding, I'm trying to get the car down to a good starting point. The paint job on the car is not original, and there are many areas of bondo, the paint job is a very cheap one, and is flaking and peeling off. Certain spots the bondo was spread over large sections, (someone didn't do a good job blending).
I'm really not concerned about all the way to bare metal, but I want to get down far enough so that if any metal work needs done, I can see exactly what and where, and also to be able to prep for painting, which means getting rid of the crappy job that is already on there.
I know it sounds like a bit of rambling, but that is basically where I'm at with it.
The media blast I was going with is Aluminum oxide. Easy way to contain the mess I found was to have someone with a shop vac to catch most of it. Kinda works!

stevelegel 09-03-2009 08:00 PM

I'd put 80 grit on the DA and give it a go over first and find where you need to go from there...leave what is good, uncover what is bad and fix that.

My current Chevy El Camino project is my 4th automotive restoration...most every project and technique...I can say...been there, done that.
Best regards,
Steve

Robbaker 09-09-2009 05:59 AM

Thanks, Steve, picked up some 80 grit and the DA, getting ready to get started. I'm sure I'll be hitting you up for advice as I go along!

stevelegel 09-09-2009 06:51 PM

Good for you, Robbaker. I am not a big fan of big diassembly & heavy stripping. Though I've done it. My philosphy:
1. fix what is broken
2. preserve what is good
3. protect for future

I believe in fabrication and welding where there is no metal, fiberglass resin where metal is present but pitted and cheesy, routinely use rust reformer and rust encapsulator and POR 15 type products. Use of DA sander before site specific sandbalsting, self etch primers, use "long and strong" ie fiberglass reinforced body filler for intial build, and lite type finish coats, and high build primers, not necesarily catalylzed type but think they are better than spray can type, (I use spray can type).

You go guy!!
Steve