Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Appearance (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/appearance-20/)
-   -   Rally Gauge Cluster (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/appearance-20/rally-gauge-cluster-1377/)

Harts56 05-29-2007 06:58 AM

Rally Gauge Cluster

Hi!

Have a 70 Challenger with stock gauge set up, looking to find and install a set of rally gauges.

Are the Rally Clusters the same from 70-74? If not what are the differences?

Thanks in advance!

John

lear4406 05-29-2007 09:29 AM

RE: Rally Gauge Cluster

The clusters are identical in all years. Except that the big blocks have an 8 grand tach and the small blocks are 7 grand. They will bolt right up to all the existing wiring. But you will need an oil pressure sending unit( barrel design) to bolt in the back of the block for a small block and the front of the block for a big block. Take out the oil pressure sending unit for a light and replace it with the guage unit. Then you will need to run a wire from the tach to the negative side of the coil. Hopefully they will leave the tach wire on and all you will have to do is run it to the coil. Good luck and try not to peg the speedo.

Harts56 05-29-2007 10:09 AM

Thanks for the insight.

Have had aftermarket tach, oil press, oil, and temp gauges now have chance to get a cluster to clean it all up. It is from a 72 and wanted to make sure it would fit before I spend the bucks!

Now that I know what I need I can begin the search! Anyone here happen to have any rallye gauges they might part with? I understand they may need to be refurbished, but have to start somewhere! Already got Bezel on Ebay the other day, now just need the cluster & gauges!

Thanks again!

MotionParts.com 06-14-2007 11:20 AM

agreed

demort71 06-19-2007 04:24 PM

Finding the instruments may just be the hardest part. You can get the tach brand new. Check Mopar Collector's Guide magazine. The rest of the instruments are not being repoped (that I know of).

The Rallye clusters are getting harder to find and more expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if you have to pay $800 to $1000 for a nice cluster. Even a junky one will run $400 that need lots of help and restoration.

Yes, you can get them restored with new faces and the instruments rebuilt and recalibrated. I used Auto Instruments and they did a great job recalibrating my instruments. My cluster's instrument faces were in good shape, so they didn't touch them. Cost for recalibration, lense polishing, rebuild of tach to electronic was over $500. That was three years ago.

You can also get the LH woodgrain face plate as a repop now. The woodgrain film has been available for a long time.

Oh yeah, it seems to me that the later clusters had a 140 mph speedo, not a 150 mph. Anyone know for sure. Also the 73-74 cluster had a fasten seat belt lense on the RH side of the woodgrain bezel.

Good luck!

AmericanMuscleCarRev 10-27-2007 07:53 PM

In MCG you'll find a company repopping every piece of the cluster and even the whole thing for about $2500!

The swap meets and Ebay will have them cheaper but yes, they are high.

I remember complaining about buying one for $500 recently and complaining just as much when I spent $75 for one a few years back.

This might sound crazy but I've actually bought whole cars to get rare options off of them that I needed. I'd get what I needed, replace what I had to and many times resell the car for what I paid or more.

The moral of the story? They are not getting any cheaper. If you see one for a fair price, buy it. If you see one later for a better price, buy it too. Then sell it for a profit when you need another rare part.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1009/BEB088262E9B4DDF8C7A15552FFCB881.jpg[/IMG]