Notices
Challenger News This section is only for articles pertaining to, or containing information about the new Dodge Challenger.

2009 Dodge Ram Preview

Old 01-12-2008, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Dodge Ram Preview

2009 Dodge Ram Preview

Ground-up redesign brings a fresh face, more brawn, and a whole lot of bins.

by Bengt Halvorson (2008-01-12)

When the Dodge Ram was last completely redesigned, in 1994, with its aggressive big-rig grille and very upright appearance, Dodge's market share among full-size pickups about tripled.

Today, the appetite for full-size trucks isn't quite as strong as it's been, and competition's tough. The Toyota Tundra was redesigned and up-sized last year to take on the likes of the Ram head-to-head; GM and Ford have both also recently redesigned their full-size trucks. Chrysler pulled the wraps off an all-new generation of its Ram pickup.

Cutting to the chase, the new Ram unveiled here at the show needs to have a lot more than another macho face to lure in customers; and positively Dodge looks ready to rumble here, with a host of substantive new features that will be useful and appealing to pickup buyers.

Most notably, the new Ram will feature a crew cab design for the first time, called Ram Crew, with full-access rear doors that open 90 degrees. Crew cab body styles are the fastest-growing among pickups and account for about 50 percent of the market. Besides Ram Crew, the new Ram will be offered in standard and Quad Cab styles, and in five different trim levels.

The fundamental proportions haven't changed much for the Ram, but the look in front has. That's mainly due to the adoption of the so-called "grille-forward design," with the plane of its grille actually aimed downward rather than horizontally. It gives the Ram a more aggressive, imposing look - and a nod to Dodge's muscle cars, the Challenger and Charger - while at the same time allowing the hood, made of aluminum, to be more sculpted and aerodynamic. Speaking of that, the Ram's bodywork has been smoothed over all around and, according to Chrysler, it now has best-in-class aerodynamics, with a coefficient (Cd) of 0.422, compared with 0.463 for a comparable 2008 model.

The aerodynamic improvements should significantly cut cabin noise; and a more sophisticated ride is in store. The Ram is the first full-size pickup in its segment to offer a multi-link, coil-spring rear suspension that's also fitted to a solid rear axle, to give some very significant benefits in handling and comfort. And it cuts about 40 pounds versus leaf springs.

The new rear suspension design also has another important benefit: a wider, deeper cargo box. And with an improved frame design, it makes no payload or towing sacrifice. Max payload remains an estimated 1850 pounds, while max towing capability is about 9100 pounds.

Also of interest to those who actually use their trucks to work - whether as home do-it-yourselfers or serious contractors - are the several cargo-management systems that kick the Ram into a much more user-friendly league. A new cargo-management system called RamBox (on the Ram Crew) brings special lockable storage bins built into the fender sides. The bins, which are waterproof and illuminated, have a total of 8.6 cubic feet of cargo space. Altogether, the RamBox bins can hold up to ten cases of 12-ounce beverage cans, or work or recreation gear. Then there's a cargo rail system that has four adjustable cleats good for holding down large, heavier items such as jet skis or an engine. In addition, there's a new bed divider system, with a two-foot bed extender.

Inside the cabin, there are also a number of convenience storage options. New floor storage bins have removable liners and are larger enough to hold ten 12-ounce beverage cans plus ice. Altogether, Dodge claims that there are nearly twice as many storage locations in the new Ram than there were in the outgoing model.

After the Ram is introduced, it will no longer be taking second stage in terms of luxury features either. Heated and ventilated front seats are available (a first in t
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:58 AM

Default RE: 2009 Dodge Ram Preview

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah 29:11

The 5.7-liter HEMI V-8, which about 40 percent of customers upgrade to, gets more horsepower, while fuel economy increases an estimated four percent - thanks to new variable valve timing, a variable intake, and an expanded range for the fuel-saving Multi-Displacement System (MDS). It's now rated at 380 horsepower and 404 lb-ft of torque, while the mid-range 4.7-liter V-8 has been completely revamped to make a very competitive 310 hp and 330 lb-ft. The base engine will remain a 215-hp, 3.7-liter V-6. A five-speed automatic transmission is standard with the Hemi and optional with the 4.7-liter; otherwise a four-speed automatic is offered. Part-time and on-demand four-wheel drive systems are available, plus four different axle ratios to meet various needs from towing to off-roading. Electronic stability control will be standard across the line.
This is VERY important to Challenger, 300 and Charger owners since a variation of this engine is what will be in those cars.
I've been waiting for this info. Thanks for posting this!
Old 01-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

That is the very reason why I posted it.

I am very glad to hear that the rumors were true about VVT, MDS, etc. on such a big engine.

I could so wish that those were also on the 6.4L or 6.5L engine but I will not get my hopes up....but I can dream.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:47 PM

I own a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport. I read a whole section devoted to the new Ram at allpar, and I am very excited about this truck.

Almost tempted to get one, but my heart is set on a Challenger. In a perfect world, I would have both.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:48 PM

I have an 04 Ram that's my daily driver, I was a little nervous about seeing the new one since I'd heard nasty rumors that Dodge was going to "tone down" the looks in this new generation... glad to see cooler heads prevailed. It's really starting to grow on me.

I'm also glad Dodge upped the hp on the Hemi - seems like Dodge is the only truck maker seriously going after the Tundra as far as a comparable powerplant - GM and Ford don't even come close. I'm wanting my next truck to be a Cummins, so I'm really looking forward to seeing the 2500/3500 models.

One thing I can't believe, though... is Dodge really serious about using the outdated prehistoric 3.7 V6 as its base powerplant? Not that I'd ever get one, but what about the 4.0 V6? It's good enough for the lowly Nitro and has much better torque ratings than the 3.7... what the hell is Dodge thinking on this one? That 3.7 was outdated 10 years ago. [:'(]
Old 01-12-2008, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

2009 Dodge Ram

By Rusty Blackwell

In addition to its full redesign, Dodge's new 2009 Ram employs lots of clever gimmickry in an attempt to claw away sales from the perennial darlings of hard-working, hard-playing American consumers, the Ford F-150 and the Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra.

If you need lots of cold beer in order to shoot a solid round of golf, the Ram is your best bet, because the crew-cab Ram 1500's optional dual RamBox compartments can contain a set of clubs alongside one bedrail and up to five cases of beer (or fewer cases with lots of ice) along the other bedrail. These bins are lockable, drainable, lighted, and weather-protected (a la Honda Ridgeline, but these don't cover your spare tire). The RamBox basically squares off the wheel-well protrusions in the bed, and its storage compartment is wide enough to hold a basketball. The RamBox will also hold non-recreational equipment, but Dodge didn't show us any pictures of the Ram doing actual work. Plywood-haulers, don't fret, though, because Dodge claims that your four-by-eight sheets can still lie flat in the bed, flanked on either side by the RamBox.

The RamBox can even hold a few new annoying industry buzzwords such as "mandate," "quantum leap," "voltage," and "game-changer." Says Scott Kunselman, VP of Chrysler's Body-on-Frame team: "Our mandate was to make a quantum leap and add even more voltage to Ram. Our all-new 2009 Dodge Ram is a game-changer in terms of capability, convenience, craftsmanship and safety."

If you run out of room out back, you can store ten more twelve-ounce beverages in the in-floor compartments/coolers for rear-seat passengers. And if you need space for some snacks, the Ram's thirty-eight "storage locations" should do the trick nicely.

All that cargo is heavy, so the Ram's V-8s have more power for '09. The 5.7-liter Hemi again tops the choices, but this time it produces 380 hp and 404 lb-ft of torque (versus 335 hp and 375 lb-ft last year), thanks to a higher compression ratio, variable valve timing, and an active intake manifold. The hot-rod of the Ram fleet is the new regular-cab, short-bed R/T model, which is said to thunder from 0 to 60 mph in less than seven seconds, a best-in-class figure, according to Dodge. A 3.7-liter V-6 and a 4.7-liter V-8 will also be available at the Ram's launch. A new Cummins turbo-diesel will debut in half-ton models sometime after launch, and a hybrid powertrain will be appear for the 2010 model year.

Handling should be a little less trucky than most trucks, since the Ram utilizes a multilink suspension in the back. A solid rear axle is retained, ensuring that the half-ton truck can haul up to 1850 pounds and tow between 3000 pounds and 9000 pounds, depending on powertrain and layout.

The interior is greatly improved from the outgoing Ram's, but we've yet to see how it directly stacks up with the likes of the General Motors and Toyota benchmarks. Helping the Ram stand out from those competitors are heated and cooled front seats (a first-in-class feature), heated rear seats, and a heated steering wheel--a must-have option for those cold winter mornings. Your construction crew will surely appreciate the available MyGig multimedia system, navigation, rear-seat DVD entertainment, Sirius Backseat TV (nothin' like a little SpongeBob to psych up a dude to hang some drywall!), and surround-sound audio.

The exterior of the Ram is an attractive rethink on Dodge's burly look that shocked the marketplace in 1994. Not to be outdone by Cadillac, Ford, and other companies who are supersizing the badges on their big trucks, the ram on the Ram's tailgate has grown by 250 percent. Ooooh. Aaaaaah.

In addition all of the new factory features, Mopar, Chrysler's aftermarket division, has already announced more than a dozen custom touches, including a body kit, twenty-inch wheels, and decals, so that Ram b
Old 01-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

What cracks me up is how other forums put their name all over the pictures like they took it themselves.

Isn't that called plagiarizing?

Detroit 2008: 2009 Dodge Ram breaks through the gate

Posted Jan 12th 2008 1:31AM by John Neff

Since both The New York Times and AllPar.com have already broken the embargo, we don't mind telling you all you need to know about the 2009 Dodge Ram. The look is as aggressive as a Ram should be, but slippier through the air than past models. Instead of upping the ante with an even larger grille, Dodge designers instead tipped the angle of the grille forward to impart the face of their truck with a solid presence. Another interesting styling touch is molding the rear bumper around the two chrome tipped tailpipes instead of having the pipes just poke out beneath.

Mechanically speaking, the '09 Ram comes ready to play with a new 5.7L HEMI V8 with 380 HP and 404 ft.-lb. of torque (the Toyota Tundra's 5.7L V8 produces 381 HP and 401 ft.-lb. of torque for comparison's sake). There's also a 4.7L V8 available with 310 HP and 330 ft.-lb. of torque and a 3.7L V6 making 215 HP and 235 ft.-lb. of torque. Transmissions include a six-speed manual and four- and five-speed automatics, and gear ratios run from 3.21 to 3.55 to 3.92 to 4.10. When optimally configured, the new Ram can sprint to 60 MPH in a mere 7 seconds. Snappy for a full-size truck, wouldn't you say?

Cab configurations include the standard two-door Regular Cab, the Quad Cab and the new four-door Crew Cab. You also now have your choice of three bed lengths including a new 5' 7" bed that goes behind the big Crew Cab. The new Ram comes in five trim flavors as well, which include the ST, SLT, TRX, Sport and top shelf Laramie.

One bit of kit that will help set the Ram apart from its competition is the new multi-link coil spring rear suspension we told you about earlier. Ride and handling will be much improved in this beast of burden thanks to its new rear suspenders, and Dodge claims payload and towing capacity won't suffer one bit at 1,840 lbs. and 9,100 lbs., respectively.

The Ram's bed now also features an available RamBox cargo management system that places storage bins within the bed rails that are weatherproof, lockable, illuminated and drainable. From the looks of it they can hold a lot of gear, too. Ram Crew 1500 models can also be had with a pair of "store in the floor" bins that can hold up to ten cans of pop, beer or whatever.

Here's what we like most about the new Ram: it's interior. That is, we like the interior in the uplevel Laramie model. It's hands down the best interior we've seen in a Chrysler product, which is not unlike what we said about Ford's interiors when the last-gen F-150 debuted. Soft-touch instrument panels, contrast stitching and chrome accents are what we'd expect in a Chrysler 300, and we're happy to see them in the new Ram.

All-new 2009 Dodge Ram Breaks From the Herd

All-new, bold, powerful, "get-out-of-the-way" Dodge Ram design
New, aggressive "grille-forward" design
First-in-segment chrome-tipped dual exhaust styled dramatically into the rear bumper
Best-in-class aerodynamics – an estimated .422 Cd
Dodge Ram's first-ever crew cab, giving Dodge an entry into the largest and fastest-growing part of the market. Crew cab accounts for nearly 50 percent of market
New 5.7-liter HEMI® V-8 provides more horsepower (380 hp) and torque (404 lb.-ft.), with increased fuel economy (an estimated 4 percent)
Best-in-class performance: 0-60 mph in under 7 seconds
New interiors with premium seating, soft-touch materials, redesigned controls, floor console with shifter, and even more storage options
More than 35 new or improved features
Industry-first RamBox cargo management system (crew cab) includes versatile, weatherproof, lockable, illuminated and drainable storage bins built into bed rails
Old 01-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Big pickups take center stage at Detroit Auto Show

With trucks' higher margins, new models may ease the strain on Ford and Dodge

06:26 PM CST on Saturday, January 12, 2008
By TERRY BOX / The Dallas Morning News
tbox@dallasnews.com

In an era of econo-cars and hybrids, two big pickups should dominate the Detroit auto show this week – the much-awaited 2009 Ford F-150 and '09 Dodge Ram.

Chrysler
The restyled Dodge Ram is one of the big introductions at this year's Detroit Auto Show. While all manufacturers are devoting more resources to smaller cars and alternative powertrains, full-size, working-class pickup trucks are still the most profitable vehicles in the auto industry.

As a result, when the high-profile North American International Auto Show opens today in Detroit for a three-day media preview, the F-150 and the Ram will likely be the most significant introductions at the show.

"Ford doesn't make much money on Focuses," said Tom Libby, senior director of industry analysis at J.D. Power and Associates. "Pickups are where Ford and Chrysler's money comes from, and this is a segment where they have to be competitive."

Other manufacturers, of course, will have major announcements of their own.

In one of the most important introductions for enthusiasts, Corvette will unveil the '09 Corvette ZR1 – an ultra-'Vette that's expected to cost at least $100,000 and will be equipped with a supercharged 620-horsepower V-8 that should propel the car to a top speed of more than 200 mph.

The ZR1 will feature exotic car components such as carbon-ceramic brake rotors, a carbon-fiber roof panel and hood, and a new, highly efficient supercharger.

"For some people, too much is never enough," said chief Corvette engineer Tadge Juechter, explaining the appeal of the new limited-production 'Vette.

In the same high-performance vein, Cadillac will show its '09 CTS-V sedan, which will get a version of the Corvette ZR1's 6.2-liter V-8 that in the V will produce 550 horsepower. The suspension on CTS-V will also be upgraded, making the car competitive with vehicles such as the BMW M5 and Mercedes-Benz E63, Cadillac officials say.

"The V-series takes the award-winning CTS sport sedan and elevates it to a position among the world's most exclusive and capable cars," said Jim Taylor, Cadillac general manager.

Unlike last year, when Toyota and Honda had major new-vehicle introductions, this will be a more heavily domestic show, with the big announcements coming from Ford, Chrysler Corp. and GM – although Toyota will introduce a crossover vehicle called the Venza on Monday.

Toyota also will show its A-BAT compact truck, a concept vehicle on a car platform that features a hybrid four-cylinder powertrain – Autoweek called it a "Prius pickup." Among its features: translucent solar panels in the top surface of the instrument panel capture sunlight and convert it to energy.

Also, Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep will display three hybrid concept vehicles, and General Motors Corp. will show a two-door, off-road-oriented Hummer concept powered by a V-6 engine. The Hummer HX appears to be about the size of a Jeep Wrangler.

F-150's makeover

Given the financial importance of big pickups to beleaguered domestic automakers, the massive Ram and F-150 are likely to stand above the other vehicles at the Detroit show, analysts say.

"We're in a bunch of whitewater right now," acknowledged Mark Fields, president of Ford Motor Co. "This [F-150] is the franchise. It's exciting but very scary working on the next generation of the F-150 because that's the family jewels."

Originally, Ford planned a fairly conservative revamping of the F-150, which should arrive at dealerships this fall.

"But we went back and decided that from 360 degrees – not just from the front and rear – it needed to look new," Mr. Fields sai
Old 01-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Saturday, January 12, 2008

New Dodge Ram to run with bulls

Chrysler hopes to corral media attention with cattle stampede in downtown Detroit.
Eric Morath / The Detroit News

Yee-haw! Downtown Detroit will become the Wild West on Sunday as Chrysler LLC stampedes a herd of cattle through the streets as part of the unveiling of its new 2009 Dodge Ram pickup.

The cattle will run east down Congress Street and then in front of Cobo Center along Washington Boulevard at about 10:50 a.m., Detroit Police confirmed. The police are closing the two streets near Cobo and setting up barricades to protect property and onlookers.

The 2009 Ram is Chrysler's biggest premiere at the Detroit auto show, which opens to the media Sunday. The new Ram, Dodge's best-selling model, will go on sale later this year.

For someone who thought they had seen it all downtown, a stampede will be something new, said Gary Kohsman, manager of Cobo Joe's on Congress.

"I've seen everything imaginable happen on Congress -- except cowboys chasing bulls," he said. "I'm looking forward to this."

Cobo Joe's and other businesses along the cattle drive received letters from the city warning them of a two-hour street closure Sunday morning. Kohsman said patrons, many of whom are working construction at Cobo, have been buzzing about a running of the bulls in recent weeks.

Kohsman joked that he might try to sneak a stray steer into his kitchen, for a Sunday steak special.

Even for a police force that's handled a Super Bowl and a World Series in recent years, steers in the city is pretty unusual, said police spokesman James Tate.

"It's definitely not your average detail," he said. "The first question I asked was, 'Who's cleaning up?' "

To Tate's relief, he learned Chrysler has hired a private maintenance company to sweep up its cow-powered premiere.

The Auburn Hills automaker isn't talking about its plans for the Ram debut -- but it has dropped plenty of hints. Chrysler asked the media to gather outside Cobo for its press conference, and it sent Western-themed e-mail invitations to journalists, complete with the sound of a thundering herd.

Such an in-your-face vehicle launch works perfectly for the Dodge brand, said Erik Hauser, director of the San Francisco-based International Experiential Marketing Association.

"They really bring the truck back to being a truck," he said. "Working hard, working the fields, in there with the cattle."

Immersive marketing -- in this case when the crowd feels it's on the edge of the corral -- works well for automotive, because it's one of the few consumer products that sell based on how you feel inside it, Hauser said.

If pulled off well, the over-the-top stampede will be the type of event that sets YouTube and other video Web sites ablaze, said Dave Regan, an advertising instructor at Michigan State University.

"There are so many alternate marketing channels, you really have to try something new and innovative to make headlines," he said.

Cattle running through city streets would qualify as innovative -- but it's also risky, Regan said. Any live event can go wrong, but in an event dealing with multiple animals and likely no chance for rehearsals in the city, the risk factors heighten, Regan said.

"It could be a big media splash," he said. "Just be sure they have a pooper-scooper afterwards."
Old 01-12-2008, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

I wonder if anybody will break the press embargo for the Dodge Challenger.

Jalopnik
2009 Ford F-150

2009 Ford F-150 Embargo Broken By New York Times

See, it's not just those of us in "new media" anymore. Nope, the web team at the New York Times have gone and done it -- they're now officially embargo breakers. Actually, they're officially embargo breakers not once, not twice, but four times in one night. The Ol' Grey Lady put up more than just the one shot of the new 2009 Ford F-150 Platinum Edition above -- they also appear to have accidentally let loose a shot of the new 2009 Dodge Ram 1500. So, to one-up their embargo-breaking, we'll break something else about the number-one selling vehicle in the world after the jump. UPDATE: Wait, wait -- there's more. They also broke the embargo on the new Fisker hybrid and the Mitsubishi R/A Concept! What a night!

Quick Reply: 2009 Dodge Ram Preview