Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Challenger News (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/challenger-news-27/)
-   -   It Finally Begins! (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/challenger-news-27/finally-begins-6305/)

2007HemiCuda 03-23-2009 06:51 AM

It Finally Begins!

It Finally Begins! I for one can't wait to have these magazine issues as hermetically sealed keep sakes. This must be the cover story on every major rag.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._gt/index.html

http://blogs.motortrend.com/6474694/...ars/index.html

I love this line!

almost exactly 20 years since I drove my first ponycar...I'd managed to borrow a Pontiac Trans-Am. It was metallic brown, with the 245-hp L98 under the hood. And it was the biggest piece of crap I had ever driven...The body had the torsional rigidity of overcooked linguini, and the steering was approximate at best. It rode like a Conestoga wagon, and cornered like a drunken sailor. The brakes caught on fire after just five hard miles on the Angeles Crest Highway.

2007HemiCuda 03-23-2009 09:23 AM

Popular Mechanics chimes in liking the Challenger better than MT.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4309423.html

rtfromnc 03-23-2009 11:23 AM

RT verse GT verse SS

Not that there is anything wrong with the RT and the GT. They are both fine cars but I find it funny how they take the Top of the Line Camaro (SS) to go against the middle-tier Dodge and Ford cars.

All three are nice cars but show me a Challenger owner and I will show you an owner with a grin from ear to ear!

RTFROMNC

RoswellGrey 03-23-2009 05:05 PM

I was glad to see one comment that the Camaro is harder to see out of than the Challenger. That's why whenever I know I'm going to be in heavy traffic, I use my Mustang. ;)

MaryAnn 03-23-2009 05:20 PM

There's only one thing to see and it's nothing in front of you but asphalt;) who cares about what's behind us!:) Most likely it's just a little Mustang, or Catmaro anyway lolol.

RUBBERBNDMAN 03-23-2009 05:29 PM

The retro styling of the Challenger really stands out.
The rear of the Mustang looks like the Ford Probe...
The Camaro is down right sad,,,LOL

JJMPB 03-23-2009 09:29 PM

and so it begins

RoswellGrey 03-24-2009 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by MaryAnn (Post 69362)
There's only one thing to see and it's nothing in front of you but asphalt;) who cares about what's behind us!:)

You obviously don't live in a big city full of crappy drivers. ;)

BLK 6050 03-24-2009 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by MaryAnn (Post 69362)
There's only one thing to see and it's nothing in front of you but asphalt;) who cares about what's behind us!:) Most likely it's just a little Mustang, or Catmaro anyway lolol.

To quote Raul Julia (Franco Bertollini-Ferrari Team) from the 1976 movie "Gumball Rally":

Franco: And now my friend, the first-a rule of Italian driving.
[Franco rips off his rear-view mirror and throws it out of the car]
Franco: What's-a behind me is not important.

2007HemiCuda 03-24-2009 08:38 AM

Well the general must have deeper pockets because based on price the SS Camaro with 6.2 liters making 426hp weighing 3900 pounds is being compared to the 5.7 R/T. Someone needs to run the SRT8 against the SS and surely it will handle better than the GT.

Thor77 03-24-2009 11:43 AM

Camaro SS Base Price is around 30K, just like the RT. It would be the mid-line model if the planned Z28 is ever produced. Just because SS gives SRT horsepower at R/T price does not mean they cannot be compared.

They will compete for many of the same buyers: those who want some mean American muscle and have 30-35K to spend.

I wish the Challenger was the most speed/per dollar, but it does not seem to be. Nonetheless, I'm pretty sure I still like it the best.

An SS vs SRT comparison would also be fun and valid, but from the perspective of someone looking to spend their own money, comparing cars with roughly equal prices makes sense.

RoswellGrey 03-24-2009 02:24 PM

Pricewise, while Fords and Chevys traditionally were considered in the same class, Dodge actually was a step above -- in the Mercury or Oldsmobile range. Plymouth was the car that competed in price against Ford and Chevy. Unfortunately, with Plymouth no longer a factor, it's going to be the mid-level Challenger against the top-end Camaro and Mustang. Using price as a guide, the only real comparison would be a stripped-down SE against the 6-cylinder Mustang and Camaro. While the Challenger would win hands-down on its coolness factor, it MIGHT be able to beat the Mustang (the only comparison I have is my 2000 Mustang against the 09 Challenger) and it definitely would definitely get beaten by a 6-cylinder Camaro.

2007HemiCuda 03-24-2009 03:44 PM

Well Challenger fans it looks like the debate will continue. Jalopnik has thrown down the BS flag. The writer does make an interesting point.
http://jalopnik.com/5181922/shenanig...g-than-comparo

Check this out: smart and pretty.
http://www.lvrj.com/drive/41554412.html

RoswellGrey 03-24-2009 08:43 PM

It was nice on the reviewjournal.com piece having the pictures of all the models mentioned. I gotta admit, the 1970 Challenger remains the best-looking car of all times.

BLK 6050 03-25-2009 06:05 AM

Challenger wins in the looks dept...hands down it's the best retro of the group. (The Mustang then Camaro coming in second and third.) Reguarding the testing of cars...most, if not all tests during the performance years were...lets just say not always on the up and up. There were many ringers (cars that were "super tuned" from the factory) and so many of the numbers turned in by the test cars need to be taken with a grain of salt. With today's cars...if the test was not done with all the cars in the same place at the same time...the test tells you very little. Heads up is the only true test....
(It's still fun to read the old stories and road tests)

roadagent 03-25-2009 01:46 PM

and either the Camaro is a piece of crap that's gonna fall apart in a year is why it's 10k less than the SRT , ORRRRRRRRR that's why GM is in the trouble they're in cuz they're underselling the car to outdo Dodge

RoswellGrey 03-25-2009 08:52 PM

Nah, roadagent, GM probably figures it will make up whatever it loses on the cheap price of the Camaro when the millions and millions of buyers start shelling out $40K each for the Volt. ;)

Raydar 04-19-2009 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by roadagent (Post 69471)
and either the Camaro is a piece of crap that's gonna fall apart in a year is why it's 10k less than the SRT , ORRRRRRRRR that's why GM is in the trouble they're in cuz they're underselling the car to outdo Dodge

I have always thought the Challenger was overpriced.
They're keeping the production low so that they can call it a "specialty" vehicle and sell it for a premium, where GM and Ford are (or will be shortly) building all the Camaros and Mustangs they can sell.
Seems like Dodge would do better to go for volume instead of price per unit. The Challenger can't be any more expensive to produce than a Charger.

Axel 04-20-2009 06:49 AM

With that being said, Challenger Starting price for SE, $22,945 to Charger $25,585. R/T Challenger is $30,945 and Charger is $32,910. SRT8 Challenger, $42,645 Charger $41,420. So in terms of it being more expensive, except the SRT8, it is actually cheaper then the Charger.

tdub2112 04-20-2009 02:36 PM

Wouldn't it make sense for a Charger to be more than a Challenger? That's two more doors to build.(and alot more than that)

RoswellGrey 04-20-2009 05:40 PM

Well, tdub, there's only one thing wrong with your statement. In it, you use the word "sense." Unfortunately, you'll find throughout life that few things actually make "sense." ;)

Axel 04-26-2009 09:51 AM

Well, that could be a game of give and take. Yes, the body has two more doors, but what's under that body? Is the suspension the same for the Charger and Challenger? Different transmissions, gearing etc? What's the same and different? What costs more under that body? Obviously still the Charger, since we can see that's how it's listed, but not in the case of the SRT8.

Raydar 04-30-2009 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Axel (Post 70390)
With that being said, Challenger Starting price for SE, $22,945 to Charger $25,585. R/T Challenger is $30,945 and Charger is $32,910. SRT8 Challenger, $42,645 Charger $41,420. So in terms of it being more expensive, except the SRT8, it is actually cheaper then the Charger.

That may be true, but the low production numbers mean that there won't be quite enough Challengers to go around.
The Charger R/T, OTOH, I've seen locally for $10K off of sticker.

BLK 6050 04-30-2009 12:15 PM

Those who are holding out for the 2011 (or even 2010) Challenger with the 6.4 Hemi, may want to rethink your strategy. With the bankruptcy, Fiat coming onboard and the government getting more and more involved in the car industry. I think the Challenger’s second run (2008- ) may just be shorter than its first run (1970-1974).
(*Just my two cents)