Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Challenger News (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/challenger-news-27/)
-   -   Fuel efficiency worth sacrificing (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/challenger-news-27/fuel-efficiency-worth-sacrificing-1733/)

Jeremiah 29:11 08-29-2007 04:59 PM

Fuel efficiency worth sacrificing

Amen to this.

Fuel efficiency worth sacrificing

By Dave Long
August 29. 2007

Redneck power or hippie environmental love? Ecological responsibility or personal excitability?

These questions surround the debate some people have regarding buying (or ridiculing those who buy) gas-guzzling, horsepower monsters such as the Dodge Ram with a HEMI – or the mega-popular, environment’s best-available friend, the Toyota Prius.

A quick definition: For those who don’t know, HEMI isn’t an acronym. It’s actually short for hemispherical, referring to the unique shape of the heads in the engine, according to www.hemi.com, the official Chrysler Web site for the HEMI.

The unique shape creates better air flow and more power. The improved power-to-engine size ratio keeps gas mileage competitive with the F-150 and GMC Sierra, according to the Edmunds Car Buying Guide at Edmunds.com.

I chose to drive a “gas-guzzler.” I do have a problem with driving a vehicle that gets poor gas mileage. However, for me, it’s a small price to pay to have enough power in reserve to outrun any police cruiser (in theory) or pull down a building.

After all, who do you ask for help when you move? Your friend with the Prius, or your friend with the truck?

Some people may look at my truck and say, “You’re killing the environment.” Maybe so, but the Prius isn’t the ideal alternative, either. The Prius is still a hybrid, and therefore consumes some fossil fuel.

Being able to own a 2008 Dodge Challenger with a 425 Horsepower HEMI V8 is my right and one of the freedoms I enjoy as an American.

It’s not to say that buying a Prius isn’t admirable, but even the Prius affects the environment – and the fragile eyes of car-lovers everywhere.

Until the day comes when gas-burning engines are outlawed, you’ll find me and my buddies enjoying our powerful vehicles – and crying about our terrible gas mileage.

lear4406 08-30-2007 08:26 AM

RE: Fuel efficiency worth sacrificing

I have put God and family first in my life and the job that I work falls after that. So I don't have much time for myself. The 40 minute drive in and the 60 minute drive out is my time. Driving a Prius is not where I want to spend my quality me time. I want the music, the acceleration, the handling and the stopping power. Gas mileage is an after thought. The cars I drive back and forth to work and small errands to the store are a driving experience I want to enjoy. So I drive cars that will give me that enjoyment. If I have to pay more for that then so be it. I want to enjoy my daily commute.

1 Bad Mirada 08-30-2007 08:38 AM

i keep track of the mpg on my cars simply as a conversation point..i really dont care how bad it is...the stratus gets 22/28...the laser gets about 18. the mirada gets around 8.

RLSH700 08-30-2007 12:20 PM

You know, I'm getting sick of this myth that the Prius is good for the environment. There were studies to proved that the Prius does more environmental damage than a Hummer does. Logically, you can say I'm "saving the environment" and satisfying my lead foot at the same time with the Hemi. I find that cars get the fuel mileage that you want them to get as long as you are willing to drive them correctly to get that mileage.

Another thing while I'm on one of my extremely opinionated rants, that goofy Honda hybrid commercial that was either for the Accord Hybrid or the Civic hybrid were the tree hugs the driver is illogical. If that was real, the tree would smack the guy and say "thanks a lot jerk. Now I'm going to suffcate due to the lower amount of carbon dioxide in the air, which I need to breathe. I can't make you oxygen without carbon dioxide."

zman 08-31-2007 08:27 AM

You guys know it, I feel the same way. I'm pretty sick of hearing about it, the more I hear about it the more I want a gas guzzzler, I mean it's not like it's going to be my main set of wheels anyway. I plan on making it the sunny summer day car, something that will be fun to drive and appreciate for the rest of my days. Maybe they should start focusing on the twin 454 boats out there and the the all the hobby airplanes flying around etc. If they (the government) let these types of vehicles into production in the first place then it's fair game as far as I'm concerned, no guilty feelings from me. I'm kinda looking forward to getting the look of disappproval from the greenies driving around in their smart cars and priuses, Cheers boys.

joeyr 08-31-2007 10:25 AM

God help them if they try to carve up mine like they did that Hummer in DC.

Paladin06 08-31-2007 12:29 PM

The SRT-8 Challenger will have a 6.1L, Hemi V8 and according to Steve Landry, executive vice president of NAFTA sales, global marketing, service and parts for Chrysler, the price of the fuel will not affect the sales due to its big gasoline engine.“In recent research with SRT owners, the price of fuel does not come up on the radar as something that concerns them,” said Landry.

RoswellGrey 08-31-2007 02:29 PM

The way I look at it is: I don't have any kids. At age 52, I SERIOUSLY doubt I'm going to have any. Which means there won't be thousands of generations of people following me. Hence, I don't feel bad at all (aside from the price, of course -- but hey, I'm just cheap) in using up five or six "normal" lifetimes' worth of fuel. :D

Jeremiah 29:11 08-31-2007 02:39 PM

I personally believe it is going to be many generations before we run out of fossil fuel.

Burning hydrogen extracted from water in the future would be cool as I will not need my oil changed as much.