Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Challenger News (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/challenger-news-27/)
-   -   Head-to-Head Comparison: 2008 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/challenger-news-27/head-head-comparison-2008-ford-mustang-gt-vs-2008-dodge-challenger-srt8-2612/)

Jeremiah 29:11 02-18-2008 05:57 AM

Head-to-Head Comparison: 2008 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8

The Muscle Car Wars are starting.

Head-to-Head Comparison: 2008 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8
From Jonathan Lamas,

The Muscle Car Wars Return

Well folks, the muscle car wars have returned. It seems like ages since the Mustang faced a solid contender. Pretty soon it will have two: the existing 2008 Dodge Challenger as well as the upcoming 2009 Chevrolet Camaro. For now, let’s focus on the recently introduced 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8. It’s sleek, it’s fast, and it’s coming to a dealership near you.
In compiling this comparison, we’ll be looking at the new 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 and the 2008 Mustang GT. In evaluating the Mustang, we’re leaving Shelby models out of the mix for now. We’ll definitely evaluate those later. Yes, these Mustangs are the bread and butter of Mustang performance. For this article, however, we’ll focus solely on Ford’s most readily available performance Mustang, which is the GT.

We will also evaluate only one Challenger model in this article, the SRT8. In 2009 Dodge plans to offer three models. This will include a 3.5L V6 version with a 4-speed automatic transmission, as well as an R/T model with a 5.7L V8 and the choice of five-speed automatic or a six-speed manual. The SRT8 model would return with its 6.1L V8, as well as the option of either a five-speed automatic or a six-speed manual. The current SRT8 is only available with an automatic transmission. For now we’ll include information pertaining to the SRT8, as it is the only model currently being built for 2008.

Powertrain: The Challenger is More Powerful...and Heavier
If a car is going to complete with the Ford Mustang it should have a solid engine. The 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 features a 6.1-Liter SRT HEMI beast under its hood. Okay, that’s pretty “solid.” As for output, Dodge says the vehicle can produce 425 hp and 420 lb.-ft. of torque.
The Challenger features a 5-speed automatic transmission with overdrive. Unfortunately it’s only available with an automatic option. This is somewhat of a downer for those seeking to feel out their shifts via a manual transmission setup. The Challenger won’t see a manual option until next year. The car also features 20-inch wheels with size 245/45 all-season tires. Braking power comes courtesy of 14-inch Brembo brakes fitted with four-piston calipers.

Ford’s most powerful standard lineup Mustang is the Mustang GT. This vehicle features a 4.6L V8 engine which is capable of producing 300 hp and 320 lb.-ft. of torque. The car offers both a manual and an automatic 5-speed transmission with overdrive. It comes standard with 17-inch aluminum wheels and P235/55ZR17 tires. Its braking power is controlled by 12.4-inch ventilated front brake discs with 11.8 inch brake rotors in the back.

POWERTRAIN
2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8

6.1-Liter SRT HEMI V8 Engine

5-Speed Automatic Transmission

425 hp and 420 lb.-ft of torque

2008 Ford Mustang GT

4.6L V8 Engine

5-speed Manual Transmission or Automatic with overdrive

300 hp and 320 lb.-ft of torque

Sure, the Dodge Challenger SRT8 has a more powerful engine than the 4.6L V8 featured in the Mustang GT. With 425 hp at its disposal, the Challenger can really tear it up. It should also be noted, however, that the Challenger is also bigger than the Mustang GT, which results in its overall curb weight of 4,140 lbs. Bottom line, it’s heavy. The Mustang GT has a curb weight of 3,540 lbs. In all, the Challenger has a wheelbase of 116 inches, overall length of 197.7 inches, and overall width of 75.7 inches. To top it off, the Challenger is 57 inches in height. In comparison, the Mustang has a wheelbase of 107.1 inches, an overall length of 187.6 inches, and an overall width of 73.9 inches. The Mustang GT is 55.7 inches in height.

On the track, Car and Driver magazine (January 2005) clocked the fif

Albeeno 02-18-2008 11:35 AM

RE: Head-to-Head Comparison: 2008 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8

Jeremiah,

Very interesting comparison / article. Thank you very much for posting.

What I took from this: In a nutshell - It's gonna cost ya roughly $13 - 14K more to beat the Mustang GT by 0.2 seconds (0-60) and be nose-to-nose with it all the way thru the 1/4 mile (if the Challenger is lucky). Nice... I'd be absolutely kicking myself right now if I bought / ordered a Challenger!

I have to be honest, I'm having a lot of second thoughts right now about buying one, myself. The SRT8 is probably a little too rich for my blood anyway, but the R/T is in my price range. Now why the hell would I spend $31-$32K on an R/T Challenger only to watch a 5th generation Mustang (which I'd be trading in) absolutely, unequivocally....blow my doors off?!?!?! Looks? (I don't know - I'd put the Mustang's looks up against the Challenger's any day of the week (they're both beautiful)...and there's not even a comparison when it comes to the interior). Price? Not exactly... Practicality? They're both RWD, 2-door V8s...not much practicality there. Performance? I don't think so, the top-shelf Challneger is 0.2 seconds faster than the entry-level V8 Mustang! Can somebody please help me out? I really do like the Challenger, but I'm struggling right now to make sense of this.

Now I perfectly understand that it's not all about performance. I get it! There are certain other factors that come into play, but performance is a pretty big one...let's be honest. Even with all that power and the "semi-Hemi" breathing thru big bore plumbing, the wimpy little 4.6 L V8 that Ford puts in the Mustangs, really ain't lookin too bad right now...

Jeremiah 29:11 02-18-2008 12:01 PM

RE: Head-to-Head Comparison: 2008 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8

Albeeno, I am not sure I can help you out.

If have to ask yourself ultimately why you like the Challenger and why you like the Mustang.

You can do a spreadsheet and put points in each category but in the end, it is all about what the car does for you emotionally.

For me, not only do I think it is the baddest and meanest muscle car that there ever was but I used to own one and dated what became my future wife in one.

By the way, it is a practical car.......3 seats in the rear, 2 in the front and it has a good size trunk. That is why it is heavy but they were back then too.

Don't forget IRS for cornering for the performance category.

BootCamp 02-18-2008 12:21 PM

Interesting article. Pretty much what we expected though.
While it did put SOME specs out there, a lot of important ones were omitted - more because the Challenger is only available in one flavor right now. That'll change in '09.
I'd be curious to see how the skid-pad numbers compare, as well as interior (rear seat leg room in particular) and trunk area. I also think the 6 speed manual transmission in a shorter gear ratio (3.93 in the 6 speed vs. 3.06 in the auto) will significantly change the acceleration numbers for the '09 SRT8.
Can you imagine how much HP the Challenger 6.1L would have if it were comparably equipped to a GT500? Supercharge that bad-boy and we're talking about 600 horses under the hood. Yikes!
Actually, the more I think about it, the '09 R/T with the smaller wheels (18"s vs. the 20"s on the SRT8), slightly shorter gears (3.73 vs 3.06 on the SRT8) and possibly a slight weight savings with the manual tranny and less "bling" MAY very well kick out nearly identical numbers to the '08 SRT8, - with the exception of getting much better gas mileage.

As long as we don't have all of the numbers, we really can't accurately compare the two cars. I'll reserve judgment until all of the numbers come out.
As far as looks, I think the Challenger is just as true to the original as the Mustang.
Right now, in 10 minutes on the interstate, I'll see at least a dozen Mustangs going in either direction. I don't think you'll see as many Challengers, and honestly, I like that idea. I want something that not too many other folks have.
I'm not taking anything away from the Mustang. It's a very good value - lots of bang for the buck. But for all of the multitude of variations it's available in, and the fact that I've been seeing them everywhere for four model years now, the attraction (for me) is long gone.
If Ford keeps coming out with more variations on the Mustang, they might want to consider changing the name to the "Ford Opinion" since it'll seem like everyone has one.

Jeremiah 29:11 02-18-2008 12:34 PM

As long as we don't have all of the numbers, we really can't accurately compare the two cars.
Certainly a good point and I agree. We haven't even seen the numbers yet. But we have until next month.....we shall see what we can find out.

kevin2323 02-18-2008 01:34 PM

alright guys i posted this on redletterdodge couple weeks ago wen they released the specs.
in order to get a good estimate of what the challenger will do compared to the mustang you go buy a similar car with similar weight , power train, and transmission. In this case its the charger srt8.
the charger srt8 is suppose to do 0-60 in 5.1 sec. or 5 flat according to dodge (they said chally in 4.9).
As i was very into buying the srt8 for performance i researched from forum to forum and found out these cars are far beyond what dodge tells you they are. sort of how bmw underrates the 335i. well what i found through my research and forum trolling for about 2 years or so is that the charger srt8 stock does 0-60 in 4.8 avrg dead stock. most owners say it gets better as you learn how to launch and you start getting better grip on the roads. So my conclusion is that this car will be in the 0-60 4.7-4.8 basically high 4s due to it being shorter more aerodynamic and slightly lighter than the charger srt8 4 door. this car shouldnt even be compared to the gt this car is in competition with the gt500. yes i know the gt500 has more horsepower and goes 0-60 in 4.6 but thats the beauty of it and were the modification nuds like myself come in. this car will be close in numbers with the gt500 and it should be in the same category, save the gt comparisons for the R/T challenger which with the power gains from the new engines should be a good comparison to the gt.

I hope my post has helped, I always wanted to post more than often but i can never elaborate on certain subjects like this one. I for one hope to see a gt pull up and start revving because that would just indicate to me the war has just begun. oh by the way I was originally looking to get a gt or a charger srt8 so thats why i know alot about both.

P.s: albeeno if your all about performance stick with your mustang because the gt will be slightly quicker than the R/T but dont expect to run into any stock R/Ts on the road most dodge owners hate ford so theyre out to destroy the stang.

mopar2ya 02-18-2008 02:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Albeeno
... I'd be absolutely kicking myself right now if I bought / ordered a Challenger... the Mustangs, really ain't lookin too bad right now...
Sounds like you probably outta get a new stang or keep the one you got. As for me... Challenger all the way without a second thought. I have been waiting a long time for a Mopar of this caliber to hit the streets and wouldn't even consider a ford or chevy of any sort... they just don't do it for me...

However, a Ferrari might be a consideration if there was no Challenger coming out. ;)

Goodbye... I hear there are a lot of good mustang forums out there...

BootCamp 02-18-2008 03:29 PM

ORIGINAL: mopar2ya

ORIGINAL: Albeeno
... I'd be absolutely kicking myself right now if I bought / ordered a Challenger... the Mustangs, really ain't lookin too bad right now...
Goodbye... I hear there are a lot of good mustang forums out there...
Once I finished choking on my pizza, I started ROFLMBO!
[sm=smiley36.gif]

RLSH700 02-18-2008 03:54 PM

Jeremiah, I thank you for posting this and with all due respect this is a very stupid comparison. SRT-8 to GT? That is a very slanted match up. This is just as dumb as comparing a base level Corvette to a Viper, "well yes the Corvette is slower, but look at the price difference, the Viper cost's almost double." Yes and the price tag between the Z06 and the Viper is much closer and the Viper is still faster. Based on Price tag and performance the SRT-8 can only logically be compared to the GT500. As kevin said, the 4.9 sec projection is conservative. They gave more competitive and still give the 300 and Charger conservative low-5 sec range when it has done 4.7-4.8 secs pretty consistently. That is closer to the GT500 than it is to the GT, besides this it sounds like they were comparing the manual version of the GT and not the automatic against the automatic only 2008 model. Some of these people need to be fired and/or ignored because they are so slanted in their reviews. The real test will be next year when both parties have manuals and when they ACTUALLY DROVE BOTH OF THE COMPETING MODELS instead of comparing paper stats to past performance tests.

Jeremiah 29:11 02-18-2008 06:14 PM

The real test will be next year when both parties have manuals and when they ACTUALLY DROVE BOTH OF THE COMPETING MODELS instead of comparing paper stats to past performance tests.
That is very true, I just post them when I see them. I do not grade their reporting abilities.

I am too am looking forward to actual real life comparisons......next month hopefully.