Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Challenger News (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/challenger-news-27/)
-   -   Motor Trend rates Challenger SRT over Shelby GT (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/challenger-news-27/motor-trend-rates-challenger-srt-over-shelby-gt-3351/)

ACJupiter 05-29-2008 04:21 PM

Motor Trend rates Challenger SRT over Shelby GT

The July isssue of Motor trend is out and the bottom line says Mustang in second place. [/quote]It's one of the closest comparo calls we've made of late, but the nod goes to the all-new Challenger from Dodge. The Shelby GT500 remains a fast and compelling piece, but the Challenger is simply a better-sorted automobile, a 20th-century icon reborn with 21st-century sophistication and poise. It's also a remarkable value, its base price undercutting the Shelby's by more than $4000 and the gap with options even wider.

Kudos, Dodge, but remember: Don't spare the sizzle for 2009. Retro Round Two, Challenger versus Camaro, will be here before you can say "time warp."

1st Place
Dodge Challenger SRT8
Broad-shouldered good looks, thundering Hemi power, and savvy chassis tuning land Dodge's new old-school muscle machine out front.

2nd Place
Ford Shelby GT500
Still an eye-catcher, and sensationally fast, but archaic chassis and whiney motor weaken its bid for numero uno."[/quote]

tdub2112 05-29-2008 05:19 PM

RE: Motor Trend rates Challenger SRT over Shelby GT

Take that Carol Shelby! You old fart!
HAHA just kidding.
Shelby cars are awsome.

tcchubb 05-29-2008 06:20 PM

read this too. this was what i was thinking about the two cars too. shelby is faster but challenger better all around.

mopar2ya 05-29-2008 06:20 PM

Very nice!! This car is going to be huge... in a good way!! :D

brucer41 05-30-2008 05:58 AM

And this is a surprise to who? I agree, the Shelby may and I stress may be a faster car but for sheer comfort, driveability and all around good looks, the Challenger is hands down, Numero Uno! Although I (as in the wife) owns an 06 'Stang GT, I have tried to talk her into moving up to the Shelby GT500 so that we would have two of the fastest from Detroit (Ok, one from Canada) but she says her GT is fast enough for her. I would love to have both of those cars in my garage. GUess I have to settle for just having the king of the hill only!

tcchubb 05-30-2008 08:15 AM

cant wait to see the 6 speed challenger's times. it may beat the shelby.

BUDMAN 05-30-2008 08:56 AM

The All mighty MOTOR TREND did make a mistake. They said on page 39 that the power train warranty was unlimited. Oh how I wish that was a true statement. I am also wishing for a Chrysler Gas Card and also wishing they my Challenger will be shipped.

nonsensez9 05-30-2008 04:23 PM

Odd... all the performance stats that they provide favor the Mustang - with the exception of 60-0 braking where the Challenger was better by 1 foot. imho the interior of a Challenger is kind of dull compared to a Mustang and has a huge honkin' steering wheel.... but that's all subjective. The challenger might be more comfortable (who really knows at this point) and it is marginally better looking - although that, too, is imho. Price is better, though, no denying that.

nonsensez9 05-30-2008 04:31 PM

ORIGINAL: tcchubb

Source: MotorTrend - sorry about the formatting

test data Challenger Mustang GT500
0-30 1.8 1.8
0-40 2.6 2.5
0-50 3.5 3.3
0-60 4.7 4.3
0-70 5.9 5.4
0-80 7.4 6.7
0-90 9.3 8.1
0-100 11.3 9.7
45-65 2.3 2.0
1/4 13.1 @ 108.3 12.6 @ 114.2
60-0 117 ft. 118 ft.
lat. acc. 0.87g 0.89g
figure 8 26.4sec, 0.69g 25.9sec, 0.72g

tcchubb 05-30-2008 07:19 PM

but that is the auto right?

nonsensez9 05-30-2008 10:42 PM

but that is the auto right?
yup.

lear4406 05-31-2008 02:56 AM

I've never understood their logic in the road testing of two cars. They lean heavy towards euros and then I guess they meet and decide which one they will choose. Then add whatever tests they need to meet those anticipated results. Performance the snake wins hands down. But I would love a test of a 6-speed SRT-8 and see how much closer the results would be. And I would say ride quality goes to the SRT-8 no doubt. Everything I have read says this to be true. And the car being bigger helps in that dept.;) Looks... goes to SRT-8. Its retro and new. The Ford is wearing so this also goes to the Challenger. Cool factor... a tie! I'd drive either and it would make me look better:D But being a Mopar guy I'd take the Challenger any day of the week;)

tcchubb 05-31-2008 10:40 AM

ORIGINAL: lear4406

I've never understood their logic in the road testing of two cars. They lean heavy towards euros and then I guess they meet and decide which one they will choose. Then add whatever tests they need to meet those anticipated results. Performance the snake wins hands down. But I would love a test of a 6-speed SRT-8 and see how much closer the results would be. And I would say ride quality goes to the SRT-8 no doubt. Everything I have read says this to be true. And the car being bigger helps in that dept.;) Looks... goes to SRT-8. Its retro and new. The Ford is wearing so this also goes to the Challenger. Cool factor... a tie! I'd drive either and it would make me look better:D But being a Mopar guy I'd take the Challenger any day of the week;)

+1. ford is re doing the mustang tho. cant wait to see it as well.

Paladin06 05-31-2008 04:04 PM

I just got my copy but the Shelby is a winner hands down. Not sure what/how you read it. The Shelby is SC also at 500hp..

Albeeno 06-02-2008 11:48 AM

Boy...you'd think that HEMI would start to pull a little closer in the 60-100mph range. I'm sure all the natural aspiration vs forced air induction arguments will be made shortly. Ya knwo what, I don't wanna hear it. At the end of the day, both cars, out of the box...the GT500 bests the Challenger in every single performance category. And if any of you old-school guys try and say that you wouldn't pay an extra $4,000 for the extra power, you're kiddin yourselves...

ORIGINAL: nonsensez9

Source: MotorTrend - sorry about the formatting

test data Challenger Mustang GT500
0-30 1.8 1.8
0-40 2.6 2.5
0-50 3.5 3.3
0-60 4.7 4.3
0-70 5.9 5.4
0-80 7.4 6.7
0-90 9.3 8.1
0-100 11.3 9.7
45-65 2.3 2.0
1/4 13.1 @ 108.3 12.6 @ 114.2
60-0 117 ft. 118 ft.
lat. acc. 0.87g 0.89g
figure 8 26.4sec, 0.69g 25.9sec, 0.72g

kevin2323 06-02-2008 11:55 AM

wow again with your arguments which have no research behind them. YES the gt500 beats the challenger by a SMALL margin in every category. the chaallenger is AUTO NOT MANUAL. manual out of the box will beat the gt500 which is the best comparison because they are both manual. oh and 4000 more for a gt500....KEEP DREAMING...more like 10-15k more.

stop the jealousy that motortrend picked dodge #1and not ford. you had your time to shine and needed forced induction to do it.

im done with the NA SC argument because it is worthless to get through to people.

Albeeno 06-02-2008 12:27 PM

wow...again with your EXCUSES. I'm glad that at least we can agree that the Shelby GT500 still BEATS the Challenger. I realize the margins aren't huge, but still fairly significant nonetheless.

PS: How much do you think the markup is on the Challenger? I'll venture to guess that they'll be at least $10-$15K more! If anything, thanks to the Challenger, the mark ups on ebay for the GT500s seems to be getting smaller. I love capitalism!

kevin2323 06-02-2008 01:50 PM

capitalism for the win!lol

mopar2ya 06-02-2008 02:51 PM

For me the Challenger is just way too cool compared to the mustang. I would not even consider the mustang between the two... no, not even for 1/2 a second in acceleration... no, not for an extra $10-15k... no not even for a measily $5 extra... no, not really even if they were the same price. For me the Challenger works, the mustang, although pretty cool, just doesn't have IT. The Challenger HAS IT... and then some... ;)

Albeeno 06-02-2008 03:23 PM

The Challenger definitely has IT...no bout a doubt it. Looking forward to seeing em real soon!!!

ORIGINAL: mopar2ya

For me the Challenger is just way too cool compared to the mustang. I would not even consider the mustang between the two... no, not even for 1/2 a second in acceleration... no, not for an extra $10-15k... no not even for a measily $5 extra... no, not really even if they were the same price. For me the Challenger works, the mustang, although pretty cool, just doesn't have IT. The Challenger HAS IT... and then some... ;)

70sguy 06-02-2008 05:36 PM

Albeeno,

I agree, the gt with 500hp is a bit quicker. I would like to see these same performance tests with the factory headers & cold air intake just to see the comparison with about 20 more ponies. The car performs very well with much more weight and 75 fewer ponies. That is of course if tests were stock for both cars.

tcchubb 06-02-2008 07:06 PM

ford uses FI because it uses smaller displacement. so in mind the FI is null here because yes it is supercharged but the challenger also have .7 displacement on it. and back in 2000 when ford made the cobra r it put out 386hp/tq i believe so it does no need FI its just easier to do. also ford is rumored to bring the boss 302 back out with a 5.0 that has 425 hp. now that is not supercharged and has a full liter less displacement and makes the same power as the srt.

i do agree that after the 6 speed comes out the two cars will be too close to go on performance. i think the real comparison should be which has more real world power/times. with your basic driving what will they do. i believe the challenger will win here because it is easier to drive a N/A than a FI imo. so the challenger should win a lot of everyday driver races.

lear4406 06-03-2008 04:11 AM

I understand the arguement on both sdes. Small displacement FI and large displacement NA. But at least Dodge has put the R&D into the bigger engines. I just read what they did with the 5.7 and the improvements were quite extensive. From the intake to the free flowing heads. VVT and more agressive cam. Dodge could simply and I reinerate simply put a supercharger on it and made the easy horsepower. So if you are a Ford guy, sorry but that the easy way out. They need to put some time and effort into it. Leave the FI for the aftermarket. You won't change my mind about it, path of least resistance for Ford. I love superchargers don't get me wrong. Turbos are awsome and I love the performance. But it should be left up to the aftermarket and thats just my take on it. Lazy engineers at Ford... nuff said.

tcchubb 06-03-2008 02:42 PM

o i agree that ford took the easy way out and i believe they need to get bigger displacement. also rumors about a 5.8(351). that will be great.

nonsensez9 06-03-2008 08:30 PM

It's not like you can just drop a supercharger on a motor and say "There ya go, have fun". well ok...you can to a certain extent but reliability becomes an issue. Without proper engineering that motor will blow itself up in no time. For starters the cam profile has to be tuned, airflow and fuel delivery has to be modified, rotating assembly has to be strengthened, etc. etc. etc. I don't believe it is any cheaper or easier to design a motor around a supercharger than to design a motor around n/a. The two companies have different philosophies and I think it's great that the debate continues.... the consumer always wins! :)

And for the price of a CAI and header kit that one might buy for the Challenger, a new pulley can be purchased for the Shelby that will easily give it 600hp.

Andre@Edge 06-03-2008 09:06 PM

Upgrade rotating assembly for 2400.00 plus labor
upgrade roataing assembly to 426ci for 3400.00 plus labor

I cant wait

1971Chall 06-04-2008 07:01 AM

I really love both cars and to me it's just great that we have both these cars to even have a debate. A few years ago that wasn't so. The facts are this though(at least at this point): A manual trans will help the Challenger for sure but only a couple of tenths and maybe 1 or 2 mph maximum. The truth is today's automatics are much more efficient than anything made 40 years ago so not much is lost. The significant part of the acceleration stats is the fact that the Shelby was a full 6 mph higher in trap speed plus a 1/2 sec quicker. If you have done any drag racing that is a no contest. Again, just making the statement, not waving the flag. There really isn't any surprise here, The Shelby has more HP and is a little lighter, IT SHOULD BE FASTER. The Challenger simply needs more HP to be competitive here. No amount of debating can change that. But.......if you were to add the exhaust(headers/cat back), CAI and a flash it would be a driver's race. Of course as was mentioned above a pulley and CAI on the Shelby will dramatically increase it's HP(been there, seen it). Now, when we move to ride quality/interior space, etc, the Challenger wins hands down, definitely more livable. Looks are subjective of course but the Challenger IMHO is just a beautiful car. The Shelby is also but at this point I really want the Challenger so this will be what I purchase. If we see a 6.4L Challenger with 500hp then you will have some equality. I am hoping it will happen before the CAFE rules bite down......................

Albeeno 06-04-2008 07:27 AM

I would like to nominate this for the Post of the Day Award. 1971Chall called it right down the middle and I have to say I agree with everything s/he said. ;)

ORIGINAL: 1971Chall

I really love both cars and to me it's just great that we have both these cars to even have a debate. A few years ago that wasn't so. The facts are this though(at least at this point): A manual trans will help the Challenger for sure but only a couple of tenths and maybe 1 or 2 mph maximum. The truth is today's automatics are much more efficient than anything made 40 years ago so not much is lost. The significant part of the acceleration stats is the fact that the Shelby was a full 6 mph higher in trap speed plus a 1/2 sec quicker. If you have done any drag racing that is a no contest. Again, just making the statement, not waving the flag. There really isn't any surprise here, The Shelby has more HP and is a little lighter, IT SHOULD BE FASTER. The Challenger simply needs more HP to be competitive here. No amount of debating can change that. But.......if you were to add the exhaust(headers/cat back), CAI and a flash it would be a driver's race. Of course as was mentioned above a pulley and CAI on the Shelby will dramatically increase it's HP(been there, seen it). Now, when we move to ride quality/interior space, etc, the Challenger wins hands down, definitely more livable. Looks are subjective of course but the Challenger IMHO is just a beautiful car. The Shelby is also but at this point I really want the Challenger so this will be what I purchase. If we see a 6.4L Challenger with 500hp then you will have some equality. I am hoping it will happen before the CAFE rules bite down......................

1971Chall 06-04-2008 11:58 AM

Thanks Albeeno. I like the passion around some of these posts. It shows me that people are really interested in the car(s) and seeing them(better yet DRIVING them) on the road. If there are no enthusiast's then there is no reason to have these cars. The bean counters will gladly make bland, tiny cars with no personality for everyone to drive around in. I really love the Challenger and despite some concessions made in the interest of production it still meets and/or exceeds what I hoped for. With the new models and options for 2009 it should give everybody(that likes it anyway) even more reason to enjoy it. Can't wait for the Camaro to make it's appearance just to see what it will bring to the table. We all know tehre will be a 3 way shoot out between the Mustang/Camaro/Challenger. How many years has it been since that happened? Competiton should improve the breed so I say bring it on!

tcchubb 06-04-2008 06:00 PM

o man now i cant make my mind up. should i buy a srt8 now or should i wait till the 6.4 comes out?

MrKrisSullivan 06-04-2008 07:42 PM

or super-charge a 5.7 like SALEEN and see somewhere over 500hp. the choices are endless don't lose your imagination. All the COBRA has is a 4.6 super-charged. So let's take a 5.7 HEMI and do the same thing. I'd say no contest really. So whatever really to an SRT. If ya'll want to talk about the 392 that another story though.

nonsensez9 06-04-2008 08:26 PM

o man now i cant make my mind up. should i buy a srt8 now or should i wait till the 6.4 comes out?
I'd do both if I could.

tcchubb 06-04-2008 09:10 PM

ORIGINAL: MrKrisSullivan

or super-charge a 5.7 like SALEEN and see somewhere over 500hp. the choices are endless don't lose your imagination. All the COBRA has is a 4.6 super-charged. So let's take a 5.7 HEMI and do the same thing. I'd say no contest really. So whatever really to an SRT. If ya'll want to talk about the 392 that another story though.
shelby has the 5.4 superchargered and 96-04 cobras have the 4.6 while 03/04 have the supercharger

just making sure everyone knows you prolly already knew just making sure and showing off my knowledge:D

tcchubb 06-04-2008 09:10 PM

ORIGINAL: nonsensez9

I'd do both if I could.
you and me both.

lear4406 06-06-2008 03:16 AM

Just got a chance to catch up on this post... so. I know that you simply don't bolt a supercharger on an engine and call it done. But it just a matter of a good bottom end, good head gasket seal and proper cam and injectors. Then just a computor tune and adjust. But if you look at the engine refinements Dodge did it pales Fords efforts. And we have been Superchargeing engines a long time. Again I don't see Ford efforts other than a supercharger. Too easy. GM follows suit with the ZR1. We all have opinions and no one, better than the other:D this is just mine and I do see others points. :)