Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Challenger News (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/challenger-news-27/)
-   -   Pic of Challenger to be used in Nascar Nationwide series (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/challenger-news-27/pic-challenger-used-nascar-nationwide-series-6763/)

mike3fan 07-31-2009 07:11 PM

Pic of Challenger to be used in Nascar Nationwide series

was posted on a Nascar message board take it for what it is.

http://jonsibal.com/bpimages/nascar_1LR.jpg

and the ugly ass Mustang version

http://jayski.com/schemes/2010/natio...mustangCOT.jpg

RoswellGrey 08-01-2009 10:31 AM

Somehow, I doubt that if a Challenger is ever used in anything related to NASCAR, it will look anything like the real thing. Instead, it will be yet another "car of tomorrow" with a decal of the grille pasted on the front end. As I've said repeatedly, NASCAR has gone completely to hell.

BLK 6050 08-02-2009 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by RoswellGrey (Post 72066)
Somehow, I doubt that if a Challenger is ever used in anything related to NASCAR. As I've said repeatedly, NASCAR has gone completely to hell.

Perhaps, but wouldn't it be sweet to see a "Challenger" blowing the doors off a "Mustang" at Daytona................................(I guess we can dream.....)

Thor77 08-04-2009 04:28 AM

I believe the Mustang pic because it's so ugly. That Challenger is a nice rendering, but somehow I don't think that as Roswell says it'll be just a sticker package on the COT.

Axel 08-05-2009 03:11 AM

Well, I'm not sure if this holds a grain of salt, but it was something that was posted back on June at the following site that would fit this if true.

OK, so I used to be a big NASCAR fan and used to love watching that black #3 Chevy. Since that wreck at Daytona I still watch a few races but not like before. I will usually watch the Bristol, Texas, and Talladega races if I don't have anything else to do. When the truck races came out in the mid 1990's, I watched some of them and seemed like a pleasant escape from the normal NASCAR event.

The natural progresion for today's cup driver is to go from the Truck Series, to the Nationwide (formerly Busch series) to the "Car of Tomorrow" sporting Sprint Cup series with all of the stars that have names and car numbers that wave on flags and adorn every soccer moms rear minivan window across america. Don't even get me started on the cartoon rodents on the broadcasts that seem to get more TV time than the cars either.

Despite what you think of NASCAR and its followers, they are actually proposing an idea that may bring some life to the series. Look at this article from Fox Sports....

ANN ARBOR, Mich. - NASCAR is bringing sexy back — and in the case of race cars, it's long overdue.

If the Car of Tomorrow comes to fruition in the Nationwide Series in 2010, the vehicle list will include "pony cars" from the manufacturers that choose to use the series to market those models to the public.

That includes the iconic Mustang — the quintessential pony car.

On Saturday when a NASCAR official spoke of the new NNS COTs, he beamed. It had been a long time since someone from the sanctioning body's side of the sport was genuinely enthusiastic about the styling of a car.

And when he mentioned "Mustang," my ears perked. A Mustang? A true American sports car for NASCAR competition? And a Challenger, too?

I must be dreaming.

"Ten-fold better than a Cup car," the official said of the designs, which must be submitted for approval by June 26 according to the NASCAR Rule Book.

The new cars are expected to be closer to stock than any vehicle that the sanctioning body has run in the top two series since the dreaded term "aero-matching" rolled off spin-doctor tongues in 2000.

Despite opposition to a common template platform from both General Motors and Ford, NASCAR turned the Sprint Cup division into a high-dollar IROC Series where all the cars were similar — and the fans turned away. Field managers warned league principals that loss of brand identification would be detrimental not only to the manufacturers, but to the sport itself.

Manufacturers reportedly poured more than a half-billion dollars into the sport last year through factory and technical support to the teams, track support, vehicle programs and advertising. Yet NASCAR turned its back on Detroit with each generation of its race car as it morphed further away from what was on the showroom floor.

Yes, the new Sprint Cup car has proved to be safer. After the initial blow of scrapping entire fleets of the old car, the new model will be more cost efficient. The level of competition with the new car — at tracks other than intermediate and two-mile venues — has picked up considerably.

But the majority of core NASCAR fans have never embraced this car. The evidence of their displeasure can be measured in the dramatic drop in attendance, souvenir sales and television ratings, all of which started long before the economy tanked.

Now NASCAR is feeling a similar pain in its pocketbook. And the sanctioning body is responding by offering an olive branch in the form of a sleeker, sexy race car to entice the fans back to the stands. A car, which will hopefully revive the "Win on Sunday, buy on Monday" mentality with fans so automakers and sponsors can continue to enjoy a return on investment in the sport.

Rather than admitting their mistake in the Sprint Cup Series, NASCAR will begin filtering elements of the Nationwide cars back to the Cup model. The cockpit is expected to remain the same to maintain the integrity of the safer vehicle but the car will take on a sportier appearance.

Currently, only Ford and Dodge will compete with models that differ from Cup. Despite Chevrolet rolling out the new Camaro to dealers, there doesn't seem to be an urgency to promote that brand or the Malibu in NASCAR other than for pace cars at this time. Toyota has discontinued its two-door Solara, so expect the Camry nameplate in NNS.

The days when racers bought cars from the showroom floor, made a few modifications and were ready to race are over. But developing a car that appeals to both fans and manufacturers is a step in the right direction.

Will this mean we can see stock appearing Mustang's, Challengers, and Camaro's beating on each other all across the country? Possibly, but I would rather see them do more road course racing like the old IMSA series than just stay on the ovals. Maybe you will be able to watch these "pony cars" battle it out on Saturday nights on TV instead of just at the local drag strip in the near future.

http://www.mylrs.com/blogs/lrs/archi...you-think.aspx

wp23n 08-05-2009 04:55 AM

that challenger is a photo chop,and the mustang is an artists rendering.
i would lean more towards the mustang version as it looks more aerodynamic
the nose on the challenger has the aerodynamics of a brick and would get its ass kicked on the speedways if that truly will be the design. think back to the charger and its changes just a few short years ago.

i had also heard that it will be all done with decals too so until i see actual photos
of the cars i dont believe anything nascar does