Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Challenger News (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/challenger-news-27/)
-   -   Update at RLD (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/challenger-news-27/update-rld-3134/)

Paladin06 04-30-2008 01:55 PM

Update at RLD

http://www.redletterdodge.com/2008/0...srt8-shows-up/

HeyItsWes 04-30-2008 02:02 PM

RE: Update at RLD

That black just keeps growing on me. I mean, it just screams raw power.

RoswellGrey 05-01-2008 01:54 AM

Too bad it's got that spoiler on the trunk. That RUINS the lines of the car. SE model forever! ;)

Jeremiah 29:11 05-03-2008 09:40 AM

Remember that is a functional spoiler to reduce lift, it is not just for looks.

lear4406 05-03-2008 11:11 AM

That should help in my 170 MPH blasts back home:D I like them, they add to the retro and are a purpose built.;)

Jeremiah 29:11 05-03-2008 11:15 AM

The old R/T's certainly had that style of spoiler.

Paladin06 05-03-2008 11:30 AM

Keep in mind the spoiler on the new Challenger is very similiar to the spoiler on the old T/A Challenger. Thank God they didn't put the old R/T spoiler on it..

Jeremiah 29:11 05-04-2008 12:18 PM

Sorry my mistake.......T/A Challenger is actually what I meant.

See below.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/9339E420EB3141B8A7FD90BED9143130.jpg[/IMG]

JB71RT 05-04-2008 03:47 PM

So, what would you think if you could put a Superbird/ Daytona type spoiler on it? On that note, what muscle car spoiler do you think looked the best overall? The 70's 442 was nice or how about the 71 R/T? The 71-74 AMX? What's your flavor if you could have any look on the tail of your new Challenger?

Yankee 05-04-2008 04:15 PM

ORIGINAL: JB71RT

So, what would you think if you could put a Superbird/ Daytona type spoiler on it?
One word: YUCK.

On that note, what muscle car spoiler do you think looked the best overall? The 70's 442 was nice or how about the 71 R/T? The 71-74 AMX? What's your flavor if you could have any look on the tail of your new Challenger?
I prefer the one it has now - it's subtle, not "in your face". I always liked the 70 T/A spoiler the best, I was never a big fan of the raised "go-wing", so I'm glad that's the one design they brought back.

JB71RT 05-04-2008 04:33 PM

OK Yankee,
That's interesting. Especially since the Challenger is such an in your face kind of car. So why not an in your face kind of wing? Seems to me you like the whole in your face kind of thing anyway, as witnessed by the Charger Police ride in your post! There's nothing subtle about that is there. However, on the whole I do like the T/A type spoiler functional yet understated. But when it came time to get something for my 72' I chose T/A Chins and an R/T Wing.

Jeremiah 29:11 05-04-2008 05:43 PM

JB71RT, to answer your question, I like both kinds shown below as long as they are functional. Which for means it is the right combination of lift and drag to make the car as aerodynamic and stable as possible. The green one is a little tall for me and I think they could make it work if it was shorter.

As much work as they did aerodynamically to the current model during the production design I kind of doubt they will use the flying wing instead of the current spoiler.

Unless they can somehow deliver simliar aerodynamic results. The problem is all of the test time in the wind tunnel is expensive. They could have done all of the test all at once and they are just waiting for a special Challenger edition in which to add it to later. I am just guessing but if I was the project lead engineer that is what I would have done.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/38D8FE9ECE834760BC0F3DD8B5AA3E62.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/902F09386AAD4E1B934AF6DBC9D9C36E.jpg[/IMG]

70sguy 05-04-2008 06:14 PM

I concur, I like the current T/A style spoiler. It sets the car off. I really like old school, I was never crazy about the Go-wing. It is an added bonus that it is functional.

JB71RT 05-04-2008 07:09 PM

Jeremiah 29:11,
You bring up an excellent point! The form vs function and the blend that pleases the masses most. The T/A which looks like it's part of the body while adding some downforce and is very pleasing to the eye. If you want a little more downforce without adding more drag then the wing is the better choice. By lifting it up you get away from the turbulance the body can create and into cleaner airflow. The same reason the wing cars went so big. Looking for that laminar airflow that only clean air can provide. The same reason the T/A hood was soo much more effective than the shaker hood or most any other manufacturer because it was lifted that 1" off the body.
What I do think is funny though is that optional wing I've seen in some of the other posts looks very similar to the 1969 Trans Am, I think it might be part of the upcomming heritage package? While I have nothing against the look of that particular wing I don't think it's the right look for the Challenger. Do you know the one I'm talking about? It turns down all the way to the body on the ends.

JB71RT 05-05-2008 04:40 AM

How about this look? LOL!

[IMG]local://upfiles/1284/13CEAC611D42432A854563EFFEF2AC05.jpg[/IMG]

Yankee 05-05-2008 05:06 AM

OK Yankee,
That's interesting. Especially since the Challenger is such an in your face kind of car. So why not an in your face kind of wing? Seems to me you like the whole in your face kind of thing anyway, as witnessed by the Charger Police ride in your post! There's nothing subtle about that is there. However, on the whole I do like the T/A type spoiler functional yet understated. But when it came time to get something for my 72' I chose T/A Chins and an R/T Wing.
Let me rephrase - I don't mind a genuine "in your face" look (in which I think the Challenger definitely qualifies) - I DO, however, mind items on a car that scream "hey, look at me!" (with rare exception - a 69 Charger Daytona or a 70 Superbird, for example, being two of them). By that reference I'm mostly referring to a slammed Honda Civic or a Mitsubishi Evo with decals galore, fart can exhaust and a gymnasium bleacher for a spoiler... I have no use for anything like that.

As far as spoilers are concerned, I realize that on 90% of cars they're on there for looks and serve no real functional value (my 07 Camry SE has one, if that tells you anything). I'm glad Dodge chose to bring the low-style T/A spoiler back on the Challenger instead of the raised go-wing (like the 2nd sublime pic in Jeremiah's post), I just think it's a much classier look, and if it actually helps aerodynamic downforce, that's another bonus.

I personally think a Superbird-style spoiler on anything other than a Superbird looks, well... stupid. It's just too much.

73Cuda340 05-05-2008 05:10 AM

JB71RT - LOL ROFL. But where is the long swooping nose? Shouldn't the package be completed with the long nose??

Hey, it looked good once, back in 69-70, but there are some things that should remain [sm=bling.gif] in the past... Some of us now live in a drug free zone. [sm=devilangel.gif]

DSkippy 05-05-2008 05:31 AM

Yeah, would that be a Challenger w/ the Daytona option?

lear4406 05-05-2008 06:53 AM

I believe that is the Dodge Challenger Daytona and you don't want no part of that car after 200 mph:D

JB71RT 05-05-2008 08:23 AM

:D LOL! I'm glad everyone has a great sense of humor! It made my day!