Notices
Dodge Challenger R/T Threads specific to the Dodge Challenger R/T should be placed here.

Hood scoop exchange

Old 06-09-2009, 09:48 AM

Location: I have moved to Challengertalk.com as a direct result of this site not being able to handle security
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood scoop exchange

Has anyone tried exchanging hood scoops with an SRT8? Supposedly, the SRT8 scoops are fully functional (as opposed to the R/t scoops which are plugged) and they are identical physically, making them a quick swap out.

Has anyone done this yet?

I'm curious to know if it really makes a difference, I know more air is better, but is it noticable?
Old 06-11-2009, 08:49 AM

Have not done it, but if you search a bit, I think there was a thread about replacing the covers or plugs from the RT with the ducts from the SRT, and that it is a pretty easy swap. Keep in mind that "fully functional" just means they let air in. They do NOT feed the intake. The only function that the air performs is cooling the engine a bit.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:50 AM

yes they are a direct swap out, i bought mine on Ebay from a vendor in pittsburgh PA
for $54 shipped.
just be careful when you pry out the old scoops so you dont scratch the hood it is a 5 minute swap. also they are not fully functional persay, what they do is allow cool
air in to the engine bay at the back of the hood
Old 06-11-2009, 09:39 AM

Wink

With all the talk about installing new SRT type scoops, and their questionable "functionally" I thought I would throw this out:
While it's for the Charger SRT, I am sure that they could design and build one for the Challenger. Or perhaps a member could modify this one to work, if someone really wanted a "functional" Air Intake......just a thought, for what's its worth.....

Volant Products:

Dodge SRT Hood Scoop
Product #: 36957
Engine: 4.7 / 5.7
Year: 03-08
36957: This accessory scoop maintains the horsepower gains and increases mpg only on highway driving. SRT-10 Hood Scoop Adapter attaches to the top of an existing Volant Cool air box, does not fit the new Volant Powercore air box. A new box must be sent out with no additional charge. The inlet side does not attach to the hood but is located directly behind the opening. This will prevent water to be ingested into the motor. Pre-filters are recommended when you install any of our CAS Cool Air Scoop or go serious off-roading. The Pre-filter also benefits when your work truck is consistently around fine powder, sand or rainy weather. This cover protects the filter from splashes of water or saturating the filter in mud. The unique material contains uniform micron openings that filter out debris .005 or larger. Also available is our new 100,000 mile maintenance free Powercore filter. This unit is made for track use only.
Attached Thumbnails volant-scoop.jpg