Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Engine (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/engine-16/)
-   -   Does it burn oil? (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/engine-16/does-burn-oil-2013/)

73Cuda340 11-17-2007 06:53 AM

Does it burn oil?

I recently bumped into a guy that works for the State Motor Vehicle department of NH. He told me that his department (which actually is responsible for taking care of all the Charger police cars [among others]). He says the Charger engines 6.1L, all burn oil. Does anyone know if there is any truth to the 5.7 and 6.1 litre engines burning oil??

73Cuda340

Jeremiah 29:11 11-17-2007 07:45 AM

RE: Does it burn oil?

If that is true, that is not good. I remember in my Challenger, I used to give it a half a quart of oil every month since it burned oil.

I would hope in these modern engines that would not be a problem......of course police cars do take a beating and we do not know what shape
they are in.

RLSH700 11-17-2007 11:17 AM

ORIGINAL: 73Cuda340

I recently bumped into a guy that works for the State Motor Vehicle department of NH. He told me that his department (which actually is responsible for taking care of all the Charger police cars [among others]). He says the Charger engines 6.1L, all burn oil. Does anyone know if there is any truth to the 5.7 and 6.1 litre engines burning oil??

73Cuda340
Now don't take this as me being rude, but how would he know about the 6.1L having any issues? The 6.1L is NOT offered in the police package Charger. The only engines offered in the Charger police package are the 3.5L SOHC V6 and 5.7L HEMI V8. Also remember that these cars are getting the crud kicked out of them on a daily basis and probably far worse than any of us will do to our Challengers. All I know is the Hemi's so far seem to be pretty much trouble free at this point. I'm not worried.

lear4406 11-17-2007 03:22 PM

My sons 5.7 in his 2006 Charger Daytona burns no oil between oil changes at 3000 miles. His car has 28000 miles on it. The engine seems to be smooth and has no issues.

BootCamp 11-17-2007 03:33 PM

Our 5.7L doesn't burn or leak oil. I haven't heard or read of ANY modern HEMI with persistant leaking or burning oil issues. Wouldn't something like that be posted EVERYWHERE?!?!?
I'd imagine if I had a police cruiser that had been on a few high speed chases and decided to run it over a few curbs in pursuits, or bottomed it out going over railroad crossings, the undercarriage (including the aluminum oil pan) would have some damage. Could they be referring to abused engines?

Sorry - having a tough time believing this since I've been servicing ours for almost 2 years now with NO issues at all.

Is this "friend" a mechanic, has he worked on/seen these "problems", or is he just blowing (blue) smoke up your shorts?
Since you were on the SRT chat the other night, did you pose this question to the engineers? The 6.1L is an SRT8 only engine - I'd imagine they'd at least know about it.

1 Bad Mirada 11-18-2007 04:47 AM

i know that the early new hemis had a valve problem, which could account for engine problems, but ive not heard of oil usage. i do know that the old hemis were oil burners, because they were "Set up loose"...

lear4406 11-18-2007 06:48 AM

I do remember this being a complaint with the 426 Hemi. But the new Hemis should not have this problem and should not be compared to the old in any way. The new Hemis are a comletely different animal;)