Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Engine (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/engine-16/)
-   -   MBRP and Drone (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/engine-16/mbrp-drone-5944/)

Jimmyk88 01-30-2009 01:11 PM

MBRP and Drone

I just got my Dynatech Headers and MBRP Exhaust installed 2 days ago. I was surprised on how loud it actually was after the installation was complete. It sounds incredible when you start it up. The car rumbles now and my girlfriend always knows when I'm coming home (this might not be a good thing, hehehe). I love the chrome tips that stick out the back and the fact that you can actually see the headers through the wheel well. Needless to say, I'm very happy with the appearance of the Headers and Exhaust. There is a huge problem though, DRONE! I had to go out of town the first night about an hour away and by the time I reached my destination, I had a splitting headache. The low frequency (or Drone) at 50-80mph is unbearable. I wish I would have known about it before I bought the MBRP. I was talking to a Performance Dealer today and he told me that the Corsa Exhaust is the only one that does not have the Drone problem. He said that people were bringing their Challengers back in that had the Magnaflow, MBRP, and SLP exhaust installed to swap it out for the Corsa Exhaust. I might have to replace it with the Corsa down the road, we'll see. There is one more problem, my check engine light came on! The Performance Dealer told me that after I tune it with the Predator, it will go off. The computer is just really confused with the new Headers and Exhaust system installed.
If anyone out there is thinking of getting some headers, I suggest Dynatech. If anyone out there is thinking of getting a new exhaust system, beware of the Drone!

brentmannrt09 01-31-2009 08:36 AM

RE: MBRP and Drone

I had mad drone with SLP loudmouths and Went with Corsa. No drone, killer quality, fit and finish and perfect to me. Sounds nice when you romp on it but stealthy when needed. Lightning force performance has the best prices I've seen on Corsa. I spent 300 more on mine before I saw them! Corsas Rock.

Jimmyk88 02-01-2009 10:50 AM

Thanks Brent. I have learned to deal with it with little tricks like barely pressing the gas or letting my foot of the gas when it starts to drone out. It sucks that I have to alter my driving because of this, but it's something I have to do I guess. This isn't an item that you just send back and get your money back. This isn't a cheap item either. Sucks. I guess I'll get the Corsa down the line and sell my MBRP on Ebay or something. I'm just pretty disappointed because getting my exhaust was a 2 month wait and I'm not a patient person (which I need to work on). Maybe MBRP will come out with something to add to the exhaust to eliminate it. I saw how Corsa has added a couple of little tubes to each pipe to eliminate the drone. I'm going to call MBRP tomorrow and see if they are working on this.

Paladin06 02-01-2009 11:24 AM

Zoomers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)