Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Engine (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/engine-16/)
-   -   Noobish engine question (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/engine-16/noobish-engine-question-2210/)

Riptide 12-26-2007 10:04 AM

Noobish engine question

Is it still necessary to baby the engine in a new car for the first 1000 miles? I've been told that with newer engines you can pretty much get on it right away and don't have to worry about that as much.

True?

BootCamp 12-26-2007 02:06 PM

RE: Noobish engine question

Here's a link to a previous discussion in the forum addressing engine break in:
https://dodgechallenger.com/forums/m...k/tm.htm#17494

I was told/taught to vary the speed as much as possible for the first 5000 miles - no cruise control, and as few InterState miles as possible. I also avoid hitting the rev limiter, and excessive idling during the first 6 months with a new car. Change the oil after the first 1000 miles, then again every 3000 miles - religously. This practice has never failed me. I've never suffered engine problems with any car I've broken in this way.

RLSH700 12-27-2007 02:46 PM

I've always been told that you should baby it still.

Jeremiah 29:11 12-27-2007 02:51 PM

Yes, be sure to put a electric blanky underneath the hood at night. :D

Some cars still do have the heated coil for the oil pan but I do not know if that is an option or how they determine which cars get it.

BootCamp 12-27-2007 03:36 PM

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

See, now I was told something that's somewhat opposite of that - from a number of engine builders:
"Break 'em in hard and they'll run well under hard use; Baby 'em during break-in and they run like a baby."
I don't know how true that is, because I break mine in like I stated above. That doesn't mean I baby OR beat them. I run the tach up and down, but never hold them at redline during break-in and I never let them idle excessively. I NEVER rev the motor before shutting it down. I was told that loads the cylinders, and that's not good for the motor.
Again, the most important thing I do is changing the oil at 1000 miles, which gets the initial load of new-engine filings out of the lubrication system. Every 3000 miles after that keeps it flowing free with ample oil pressure.

MGDMike 12-27-2007 09:17 PM

Now, I do rev my engine when I get home for two reasons (both might make ya'll laugh:D).
1: I don't want any carbons built up in my exhaust so I just "blow" it out by giving a good rev.
2: It lets my daughter know I'm home and she comes running out and gives me a big hug and my bad day goes away at that point.:)

Jeremiah 29:11 12-28-2007 06:46 AM

Sounds like very good reasons to me.

BootCamp 12-28-2007 08:14 AM

ORIGINAL: MGDMike
2: It lets my daughter know I'm home and she comes running out and gives me a big hug and my bad day goes away at that point.:)
My daughter did the same thing when she was little. I mounted an electric Aah-ooo-gah horn in my car for that.
Best way to come home is to a smiling little girl who's running toward you with her arms open wide yellling "DADDY!". Warms my cold heart just thinking about it.
:D

MGDMike 12-28-2007 09:11 AM

ORIGINAL: BootCamp

ORIGINAL: MGDMike
My daughter did the same thing when she was little. I mounted an electric Aah-ooo-gah horn in my car for that.
Best way to come home is to a smiling little girl who's running toward you with her arms open wide yellling "DADDY!". Warms my cold heart just thinking about it.
:D
I would love that horn! However, I don't think my neighbor's would! LOL!:D

2009 R/T 01-31-2008 10:55 AM

ORIGINAL: RLSH700

I can't say how its going to be with the Challenger but the ECU learns as you drive. If you baby the car it will adapt to your driving habits and adjust fuel trims and whatnot accordingly. As BootCamp said.... Baby your car and it may end up running like a baby...