Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   Engine (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/engine-22/)
-   -   Help me pick a crate engine for the challenger (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/engine-22/help-me-pick-crate-engine-challenger-7380/)

jdb840 03-05-2010 03:51 AM

Help me pick a crate engine for the challenger

I would like for everyone to give me some links or suggestions of crate engines. By the end of summer I should have enough saved up to buy one, somewhere in the price range of $6000-7000. I think it's time to see what's all out there and make my selection.

Here's kind of what I'm looking at roughly a 500ci street friendly motor and I want to swap my 6pack intake setup over to it. I'm wanting about 500-550 reliable hp, not something that I like a drag motor where I have to mess with it everyday just to cruise around.

I like the indy cylinder head 500 crate but it's alittle over my budget, but that should give you an idea. I was also looking at promax engines as well

Jeremiah 29:11 03-07-2010 10:45 AM

This week at the magazine rack, there was a good article on the 10 things to look for in a crate magazine and then it listed a long list of companies that you could buy from. The article was mentioned on the front cover that is why I picked it up to begin with so you should find it easily.

lear4406 03-12-2010 03:09 AM

I have a Mopar Catalog at home and went through it quickly. I'll look again and see what they have for big blocks. I was looking at the 440 ci small block @ 530 HP for my 70 Challenger R/T. I can't imagine what a BB puts out.

jdb840 03-12-2010 06:24 AM

I'll check out the magazine rack and see if I can find it.

I'm just trying to see what's out there and get a reputable company. I've been searching for a while now, I just have made up my mind yet.

Lear4406 how's your challenger coming alone, the last I remember you had it painted.

Jeremiah 29:11 03-12-2010 03:38 PM

I ran into that magazine again at Barnes and Noble. It is the Kit Kar Builder magazine. It has the most important things to look for in a Crate engine list and it also has a very large list of the crate engine builders you can buy from. Good luck.

lear4406 03-15-2010 04:57 PM

Yeah Jeremy I have the outside done and the exhaust on it now. I have everything for the interior except the dynoplate insulation for deadening. So you are going to put a crate motor in. Let me know what you come up with I'll need some info for the winter GTX project. I have a 440-6 in it now and will need to refresh or replace it over the winter. 500 ci sounds like a good start (no replacement for displacement). Good luck and keep me informed.

jdb840 03-23-2010 05:05 AM

Glad to hear it's almost done..

There's so many options out there for motors, who knows what I'll end up with. Most likely when I have all of the money saved up, I'll pick 2 within that range and call both companies and see what one will suite my needs the best.

I have to be able to keep up with my brother, he already is fishtailing around the challenger at any speed. I don't stand a chance either way but I can't get killed by him or I'll never here the end of it. Over the last year he finished building his LS1 from the ground up. He's getting it dyno tuned in the next month or so. Right now he probably around 500rwhp and should see another 50 or so on the tune, just guessing will know for sure when it hits the dyno.

lear4406 03-23-2010 04:28 PM

Yeah I hear you on the HP war with your brother. You should be able to put a nail in his HP coffin with a nice crate motor for sure. Heck for that matter a nice 6.4 would do the job. 525 HP right out of the box. Mate that with a tremac 6-speed and "you da man". LOL. I'll be looking soon for a big block for the X so let me know what you find. Are you running a DANA or 8 3/4? Either is great and can take the abuse of a 600 plus power plant. The Dana will hold much more.

jdb840 04-05-2010 09:14 AM

I have a dana rear with 3.55.

I'm looking at a short block from 440source, they have a 500ci one for a reasonable price. I would obviously have to purchase the top end, but it's pretty temping. The itch is starting to get to me

Doozle 04-19-2010 07:57 AM

Don't know if this in your budget but have you considered the 440 hemi produced by Arrington Engines & Shop HEMI.com? Cool thing is its very stealth, looks just like a normal 6.1 engine but is anything but normal. Wicked hp gain and stealth looks what's not to like assuming its in your price range. HTH's!