Notices
Engine Got engine work, simple or complex? Let's hear about it!! Everything from air filters and exhaust systems to stroker kits goes here.

Need some advice and suggestions

Old 12-09-2009, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I'm more looking for pointers on where to start. While I haven't really decided what I'm doing with the engine, and I know that's a big part of what I do with the rest of the car, I'm looking for some direction that resto guys take when they start a full restore project. Is my thought on doing up a suspension system, due to my likeliness to move, a good idea or should I put more focus somewhere else first?

Thanks.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:21 AM

If the stock suspension is in good condition, you can just use it, if mostly good just replace worn parts with stock parts. Old e bodies handle pretty good, with disk brakes up front they stop ok.
Up grading the brakes to something like a new SRT has would cost about $3000
To put in a different K frame, and rack and pinion, At least $3500.00 and to get a 4 link or other rear end upgrade again, 3 0r $4000. These numbers are for parts only, if you need to hire someone to do it, double them.
Most projects start by taking the car completly apart, assuming it needs a paint job and some metal repairs. Once apart, media blasting to remove the old paint to start fresh. A complete media blast job, will cost about $2000, plus the cost of getting the car in a sealing primer a few hundred more. Body work can be nothing if the car is perfect, and $10,000 if lots to do, a paint job by a professional shop, could be anything from $5,000 to $25,000 depending on which shop and the details.
Once painted, it gets put back together, often you'lll spend several thousand on smaller stuff like weather stripping and screw kits, door sills, and might need new glass and or hardware. Interior replacement seat covers aren't too bad and can be done by a good handy person, although headliners give most people fits.
Then its details and drive train....
Someday your done, a beautiful old Mopar loved by many including yourself, The time invested will likely be measured in years and money... more than you really wanted to spend.
I'm not trying to discourage you, in fact just the oppisite, just know what your getting into, and enjoy the build up process, the dirty finger time.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:27 AM

Thanks MPBG43! I'm not deterred or intimidated by the amount of money or time it sounds like. I have had to cut some old hobbies and habits out that weren't meshing well with my life and this is what I decided I wanted to fill that void with, plus classic car guys seem to be getting fewer from what I can tell. My drive and desire to restore this car I think will get me through it. As far as taking years to do, that's fine. My wife would probably prefer that only because it means I'll only do one, so she thinks. As far as money goes, I'm not worried about that either. While I'm not independently wealthy or anything like that I do have very good budgeting skills and a supportive wife. Not to mention the very regular bump up in income the military has been so gracious to offer me through optional (mandatory!!) job experiences (deployments!!). I figure each deployment I make about 6-10 grand tax free, half of which goes to the wife and kid and the other half to my car. This is a once every year deal so 3-5 grand every year to spend on my car isn't a bad deal at all.

Does anyone know anything about Soda Blasters? Are they worth buying to blast off paint and clean up the frame and all that with? I saw and add in a CarCraft or HotRod magazine and thought I would look into it.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:53 AM

Send out for media blasting. Unless you think you are going to do more projects in the future, your expense for the blaster (and a BIG air compressor to push it) will be a poor value. Also there is the issue of the mess of blasting (been there done that). You will enjoy the disassembly (cheap, productive, chest thumping work).

My before and after
Attached Thumbnails 58063s.jpg   58062s.jpg  
Old 12-23-2009, 10:36 PM

Default Need some advice and suggestions

how many miles on the bottom end and what oil pressure was it seeing at idle and WOT?i would just do heads and cam, 3k or larger stall, gears and some suspension and have fun.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Pawsoffense
how many miles on the bottom end and what oil pressure was it seeing at idle and WOT?i would just do heads and cam, 3k or larger stall, gears and some suspension and have fun.
Not really sure what you mean by miles on the bottom end, but because it doesn't have an engine I can't tell you the oil pressure.

Side note, I just returned from Iraq and will be going to pick up the car from Tennessee here in the next couple months. I'll have a VIN and a no BS look at what it needs.