Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   General 1970-1974 Dodge Challenger Discussions (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-1970-1974-dodge-challenger-discussions-30/)
-   -   HELP!!! 1970 Challenger purchase (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-1970-1974-dodge-challenger-discussions-30/help-1970-challenger-purchase-7535/)

twitchyfinger 05-17-2010 02:46 AM

HELP!!! 1970 Challenger purchase

Hello Newbie here desperately trying to find out info on buying a car. I am looking at a 70 Challenger that has a "California Replacement Identification Number". There is no fender tag or broadcast sheet.
The car is not #'s matching,dose not have the original engine in it but now has a 440. I was told by the owner that the reason the car now has the Ca rep # is that back in the day the car was used in a robbery and thus the reason for no fender tag or broadcast sheet. I am just trying to figure out if the car is a good buy at 20K? Not looking for a #'s matching collector car but a nice restomod to build on and play with. Just don't want to loose money buying something that was not worth the price paid. Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.cars-on-line.com/46200/70dodge46210-1.jpg

Here is how the ad reads BTW I do have a picture of the replacement tag #:
Dodge Challenger. 440 (not # matching), pistol grip 4-speed, disc brakes, power steering, rallye gauge package, bucket seats, 15" rallye wheels, shiny red paint that may look orange in the pics, nice black interior. Car has a California Replacement Identification Number that starts with JS23V08. There is no fender tag or broadcast sheet. Car draws a lot of attention and runs well. Nice Saturday night big block 4-speed musclecar that is affordable!

lear4406 05-17-2010 04:04 PM

If it is a leagle sale... then a car is worth what you are willing to give for it. If it is solid and runs good then that is not too bad a price. I have a 1971 318 #s car that I made into a Vanishing Point white 340 R/T. Insurance before the resto was @ $34,00 value. As soon as I'm done with the interior I'll have it reappraised. They donot make these anymore and they go up in value every year. They only drop when we hit a finacial bump that affects the whole economy. But keep it and the value will continue to go up. I just like what I like and if its worth something more than all that much better. These cars were built for fun and thats why I drive mine. When I'm done, then I hope my sons get some joy from driving them. Good luck on your choice. You might look on E-Bay Motors and see what a similar car is going for. #s matching with data to back it up is always more value to the die hards.

rickerda 05-18-2010 12:43 AM

I would check with the California DMV about what a California Replacement Identification Number is and why how they are issued. It sounds like the car may have been rebuilt. Unless you can get the documented history of the car I would wait for a Challenger with a known history.

BLK 6050 05-21-2010 08:57 AM

I would think your first step would be to learn more about what exactly a “California Replacement Identification Number” is and how and when they are applied to vehicles. (It sounds a lot like a "Salvage type title" which could mean this Challenger has had major damage in the past.) But be forewarned that any unusual title such as this one and the fact that the Challenger is missing its original VIN Tag means this Challenger will never be worth what an identical Challenger with its original VIN Tag intact would bring. This may or may not mean much to you right now, but…..in the future it may. The main issue is you (and any potential future buyer) will never know the true identity of the vehicle in question.
I would have the Challenger inspected by a “good” body shop to see if the car has ever been in a major accident, and whether the car has been spliced together….etc.

Having said all that, if you are looking for a “Fun” driver, and not a future collectable, and this one checks out …..It looks to be a very nice buy. Just do your homework “before” you buy. But to be honest with you, I would more than likely pass on this one. But it's really up to you.