Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   General 1970-1974 Dodge Challenger Discussions (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-1970-1974-dodge-challenger-discussions-30/)
-   -   HUH? (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-1970-1974-dodge-challenger-discussions-30/huh-4718/)

sabby2000 09-18-2008 09:32 AM

HUH?

am I missing something here? I admit I am NOT an old car owner.....but having bought a 73 challenger back in the day for $125 and ended up hauling it to the scrapyard a year later for $50.....I have a slight connection....and now with a new 2009 on order, I am noticing 70's challengers going for $35,000-$85,000????? what????????? I guess i'm outta touch still thinking classic cars sell for 10-12 k......??? is there a reason for this? is this a challenger only thing? or is every 70's muscle car worth this much now?(i'm talking some of the ones I saw were unpainted down to bare metal on the inside for $30k plus!!!!!) insane.....

RUBBERBNDMAN 09-18-2008 10:32 AM

RE: HUH?

Watch BJ from Las Vegas....In Jan a HEMI CUDA went for $250k....

lear4406 09-18-2008 01:16 PM

The E-Body Mopars are going for more money because of the 1) Over all look. 2) Not many made. 3) the reputation they have in the minds of the buyers. I think they have an appeal that allows the buyer to feel much like a Harley rider. The car looks mean and has been used that way in movies and shows it has co-starred in. I've seen them pull R/T Challengers out of the junk yard with no engine or trans and sell it for 1000,s. More parts are now available and the car can be made to drive like a 2008 Model.:D Any modern 5.7,6.1 and 6.4 can be droped in with just a K-member change.;)

BLK 6050 09-21-2008 11:09 AM

Unfortunately for those wishing to buy their dream car.....everyone thinks his 318 Challenger, Charger or whatever is worth what he saw the "same" car going for at the last BJ Auction. Even if the car going accross the block was a rare Hemi whatever.....it has the same type body so it must be worth the same......Mopars have never been as popular as the Fords and Chevys and less were made, and now others who would never have thought about owning a Mopar have "discovered" them raising the prices out of sight. It's the old story of...what was unpopular back then, due to unwanted color combination or an option that was too expensive for most such as the Hemi are today's "most wanted". Challengers have always been popular...but in the past parts to restore them were not being produced and you had to shop junk yards and such to find parts. Unlike the Mustang and Camaro in which you can buy everything you need.
I love old Mopars but I have a hard time seeing these car being worth what some people are paying for them....but it's their money. It's all a sign of the times. The sad thing is that when a car reaches a certain level of value...most owners stop driving them and they spend all their lives under a car cover in a garage instead of being used for what they were built for...DRIVING.>>>>SAD because they are such fun to drive and show......

Jeremiah 29:11 09-21-2008 11:22 AM

ORIGINAL: sabby2000

am I missing something here? I admit I am NOT an old car owner.....but having bought a 73 challenger back in the day for $125 and ended up hauling it to the scrapyard a year later for $50.....I have a slight connection....and now with a new 2009 on order, I am noticing 70's challengers going for $35,000-$85,000????? what????????? I guess i'm outta touch still thinking classic cars sell for 10-12 k......??? is there a reason for this? is this a challenger only thing? or is every 70's muscle car worth this much now?(i'm talking some of the ones I saw were unpainted down to bare metal on the inside for $30k plus!!!!!) insane.....
Yes I would agree that you have not been keeping up with the muscle car world.

Since 2000 which is when these cars became 25-30 years old these cars have become expensive

The most famous I think is the million dollar Hemi 'Cuda shown here: http://money.cnn.com/2003/06/26/pf/autos/cuda/

That is okay just buy an SRT and you will have a better car than back in the day and cheaper.

stevelegel 09-22-2008 07:08 AM

I agree with all these posts

1. originally the cars were meant to be disposable, car companies make money selling new cars

2. Old mopars rust

3. gas crisis of 1970's made big blocks undesireable

4. I found my 1970 axle deep in the mud of a pole barn, in 1994. No parts were reproduced and I scavanged for good used pieces, reused originals rebuilt and learned to fabricate and weld sheet metal. More work than average guy would do, or be able to do, as market had not yet heated up.

5. "collectibles" including cars became valuable as investments after stock crash in 1987, and statitcs then indicated cars came to max value about 30 years after production for a market of men in late 40's reliving emotions of their youth.

6. Barrett Jackson and internt use has helped fuel information

7. the increas in value and market for old m0pars created the incentive for reproduction parts to be made and sold, thus completing the cycle.

8. the future of the hobby is (in my opinion) in doubt. Will today's young men relive their adolecence with old time muscle? Typically cars past 50 years old decline in value, as their market demographic starts to die off. Think of pricing for model A's and war years cars. 1950's cars value is stable but not appreciating much. Will the future hold for Ford Probes and minivvans? Will rice burners be the big money cars of 2030?

Steve

mopar2ya 09-22-2008 07:43 AM

You bring up some great points Steve. Speculation is a cr*p shoot at best...

KMPX2 09-23-2008 06:09 AM

As with all things prices go up and down. Now would be a good time to buy alot of guys need to sell to keep there bills paid.

lear4406 09-23-2008 06:35 PM

Only time will tell if the Challenger will continue to be sought after. But I just kept my Challenger because they had not built a car I was ready to buy new. Rear wheel drive, V-8 (HEMI preferred), Straight drive. Well lo and behold. 2009 and an SRT-8 6-speed for me. So patience is a virtue. The auto industry came to me:D So I won't really care if the car gains in value... because I will be driving mine and building memories that I will share when I'm in the retirement home:) So watch out America, when I get my car I will be driving your precious gas out my tale pipes and to infinity and beyond. OK... maybe just beyond the State line;)