Notices
General 1970-1974 Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the E-body (1970-1974) Dodge Challenger

value of 70rtse number 3 condition

Old 08-01-2007, 03:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default value of 70rtse number 3 condition

Hello all,
I'm tring to find out the value of a 1970 rt/se challenger in no. 3 condition.
it's a numbers matching car. one thing that is a little odd, the auto trans. came with the shifter on the column. and all rt's that i have seen in the past had with the shifter on the floor.
Anyways can anyone tell me what this car may be worth or can i be steered to the right place to find the value of this car. i am the third owner of this car and the car has about 97.000 miles on it. the engine was rebuilt some years ago, the car has been sitting for about 1 1/2 to 2 years and i'm not sure if engine will have to be rebuilt due to sitting so long. I haven't had the time to do anything with the car, do to work, remodeling the home, ect.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-01-2007, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: value of 70rtse number 3 condition

The car would be worth a chunk of cash. The more rare the option list the more it is worth. Describe the body and interior. Also engine size and rear end ( 8 3/4, or Dana). Being an R/T and an SE, I would think that it would be on the optioned out side. Which is good, as far as value. Also is the engine # matching and is it mostly stock. Magnum 500s or 15" ralleys. Radio? ( AM_FM with cassett deck). I know that the SE had overhead console with a small back window. Also light package. Give us some more info... but it is a good find. If the engine was'nt hurt before they shut it off, it should be fine when you start it up. I would pull the plugs and spray some oil down each cylinder and then replace the spark plug. Change the points and condenser. Also change the oil. You should be ready to start her up. Good luck!
Old 08-01-2007, 11:12 AM

Post up some pics of this bad boy. I pretty much have the same car 70 RT/SE, mine was orginally a 383.

Like Lear said depends on options

Mopar used to make a collectables magazine that list values of cars based on model and condition. I'm not sure if they still print those or not. The last one I saw was maybe a year ago, and I can't remember prices, I don't want to guess and be way off.

Let us know on the progress. I would do exactly as stated above. You shouldn't have a problem starting it up. Mine sat for roughly 4 years when I moved away for college and I did the basic tune up and she started right up.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:17 AM

I hate to say, but the car is not all original. The interior is in good shape, may need to replace the carpet. front buckets don't have the org. leather anymore, the overhead console is in good shape, the only light that doesn't work is the low fuel and this may be a sending unit problem due to fuel gauge not working. the headliner looks to be org. all i need is the foam padding for it. the body is ok, need some work. i know the floor boards need to replaced. the trunk pan is in good shape. the engine is a 383 h.p. 8 3/4 rear, don't have org. rims, but i think it came with the ralleys. all numbers due match including motor. As far as being optioned out i don't think it was really. I'm still a little puzzled about the shifter being on the column. As far as i can remember when i purchased the car the person told me that the org. owner worked for a car dealership and the car was org. from Colorado.
I had some guy stop by, actually he stops by every few months and asks if i'm ready to sell the car. when he stopped by the last time he offered $8,000 for it. i'm at work right now, so when i get a change i'll post the fender tag numbers.

Thanks much for your reply

ORIGINAL: lear4406,

The car would be worth a chunk of cash. The more rare the option list the more it is worth. Describe the body and interior. Also engine size and rear end ( 8 3/4, or Dana). Being an R/T and an SE, I would think that it would be on the optioned out side. Which is good, as far as value. Also is the engine # matching and is it mostly stock. Magnum 500s or 15" ralleys. Radio? ( AM_FM with cassett deck). I know that the SE had overhead console with a small back window. Also light package. Give us some more info... but it is a good find. If the engine was'nt hurt before they shut it off, it should be fine when you start it up. I would pull the plugs and spray some oil down each cylinder and then replace the spark plug. Change the points and condenser. Also change the oil. You should be ready to start her up. Good luck!
Old 08-02-2007, 03:30 AM

Forgot to mention jdb840 is you r/t s.e. an auto trans or manual? If auto is it on the floor?
Nice to know you also have an r/t s.e. I'm starting to see more and more r/t/ s.e. listed for sale now a days. I remember back around 84' or 85' when i lived in vegas i went to a mopar national car show and i was surprised that i didn't see one r/t s.e. at the show. There were
r/t challengers and just plain s.e. challengers, also some t/a challengers, but no r/t s.e.
Wish you the best with your r/t s.e. challenger.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:05 PM

It's a 4 speed. You're right in the last couple of years i've seen a ton of E bodies. I went to Chrysler at Carlisle last year, and I was amazed at all of the B and E bodies there.

had some guy stop by, actually he stops by every few months and asks if i'm ready to sell the car. when he stopped by the last time he offered $8,000 for it.
Unless you needed the money or just don't want to hassle with the resto, I wouldn't sell it for 8k. I saw a basket case #'s matching Challenger 383 on ebay sell for 7K a couple of month's ago.

If you need any help be sure to ask and we will do our best to help out.

JB
Old 08-14-2007, 03:23 PM

Sorry it took so long to get back with the codes, been working on the house and it's been taking a lot of my time. I was going to start taking flying lessons and i haven't had the time for that either, which sucks becouse i wanted to take the lessons while it's hot and humid due to the change in aircraft performance. anyways enough with that.
These are the codes for this 70 rt/se challenger:

Y05 26 EN2
N41 N42 N85 R35 V5X
C55 G34 H51 M21 M25 M31
V1X A01 A04 A62 B51 C26
FJ5 HRX9 000 924 022175
E63 D32 JS29 N0B 132001

As far as i can remember (you know that sometimers) lol lol the original owner worked at a dodge dealership somewhere in Colorado.
Any help would be much appreciated.
I haven't decided if i'm going to do anymore work on this before i decide to sell or not, but i am at least tring to find out what the value is now in what i think is a no. 3 condition out of a 1 to 5 value.

Thanks again,

P.s.
jb sometime in the future when i can take some pictures of the car i'll post for you to see.
Of course when i do i'll have to check with you as to how to add pictures.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:56 PM

I've got a book that breaks out the build codes for the 70 through 74 Cuda's and Challenger's and these numbers don't make sense to me. Where did they come from?
Old 08-15-2007, 02:55 AM

The build codes are off of the inner fender. I've gotten codes broken down last night from this guy that calls every few months or so to see if i'm ready to sell the car. Always tell him not yet. Those code numbers should be right the only one that i wasn't to sure of is M31 might be M51 it was hard to see. I'm pretty sure it was M31. What book are you using for the build codes?
Old 08-15-2007, 03:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like the code off the fender tag. All the items you need to restore this car is now aftermarket. As far as the column shift, that may even make it more unusual. If you are going for an original restoration, I would pay to have the car decoded by Galian Gal... I can't remember his name. Its quite unusual. But he is the man to decode and that information can give you the blueprint of how you will put it back together. Someone out there know the name I'm trying to come up with?

Quick Reply: value of 70rtse number 3 condition