Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Challenger markup

Old 03-08-2007, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Challenger markup

Ya, I have also heard that dealers are going to mark up the price on the Challengers, this should only happen for the first MY of it, might carry over a little for the 09. People wanting to be first on the block to have one, so they will pay the extra cash(15-20 thousand over), which they can have, cause I will laugh at them for being an idiot. I can wait for the 09's to come out. I won't pay over MSRP regardless what car it is. As for how many years they will produce this car, the determining factor for this, is how the car sales and how many orders they get for it. The Dodge Dakota R/T was supposed to be a limited production run, it ended up going 5 MY years before Dodge canceled it, my guess is cause sales of it dropped off to the point it wasn't profitable for Dodge to produce it. So if the Challenger orders keep strong, Dodge will keep it in production.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:19 PM

This reminds me of the comparison between drug dealers and drug users. If people would stop doing drugs, there would be no drug dealers. If NO ONE would pay even a dollar mark up and let the cars sit on the dealers lots for a while, there wouldn't be any word of a mark up. Just discounts.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:22 PM

My sentiments EXACTLY, wirewilly. And while we're at it, MSRP cannot be ONE CENT over $30K.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:22 PM

You people have to be kidding me!
Of course the dealer is going to mark these cars up $10,000 + over MSRP right out of the gate. Don't think for a second that dealers are not watching sites like this one to see what the customers are talking about in regards to the Challenger. I am writing this from my office in a Dodge dealership sales office. We are going to get a limited amount of these units so supply and demand will dictate price and from what we (the dealers) see there is a HUGE demand for this vehicle. Plus add up all of you that go into the dealership asking them to take your hard earned cash with out a vin #. That being said we are going to ask for a little more than MSRP. I have already talked to my rep from Chrysler about allocation and I should see an initial 6-7 out of the gate due to sales of other units that we have done above average on compared to other store in the area.
That being said, be ready to pay a little more than MSRP but be patient cause they are coming. If you ahve a control # from your employer, forget it, it will not work for this car. You have a COSTCO membership? Forget it, it will also not work on this car.
I will however make a post as soon as we see them in our allocation banks or order banks.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

I have been saying this for the last 14 months.

Based on dodgesales comments......."just another reason why I will not buy it the first year".

Sorry dodgesales......you will have to sell it without me.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:25 PM

No worries, I am sure I will. In fact if we really wanted to we could sell all of our allocation to employee's that work here or to the employee's at the Ford store next door. I will be ordering me a black one, that is for sure!
Old 05-02-2007, 11:37 AM

I'll drive a late model GM F-Body with T-Roofs for a year or two before paying some dealer mark up.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: dodgesales

No worries, I am sure I will. In fact if we really wanted to we could sell all of our allocation to employee's that work here or to the employee's at the Ford store next door. I will be ordering me a black one, that is for sure!
So what that tells me is you are not getting many cars for regular customers to buy and you are going to rip off your employees and Ford friends.

Okay so not body bother buying a Dodge Challenger in the Seattle area so he can sell them to his friends. LOL!

Sorry I just have to give dealers a hard time. The reality is somebody will pay for it no matter the MSRP. Just be ready when they walk in the door.
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:08 PM

While I hate the idea of paying markup, and would avoid it myself, it is simple economics that when the demand for the item exceeds the supply, the price goes up. As the Barrett-Jackson auction proves over and over, there are plenty of muscle car enthusiasts out there with more money than they know what to do with. When they'll pay a hundred grand for non-original, engine swapped restorations, why would they bat an eyelash about dishing out $50-60 grand for the first new Challenger? To some people, 10 grand doesn't mean any more than what a couple hundred bucks means to me. Just hope that Dodge starts crankin these suckers out so that the markup is short-lived.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Thor77

While I hate the idea of paying markup, and would avoid it myself, it is simple economics that when the demand for the item exceeds the supply, the price goes up. As the Barrett-Jackson auction proves over and over, there are plenty of muscle car enthusiasts out there with more money than they know what to do with. When they'll pay a hundred grand for non-original, engine swapped restorations, why would they bat an eyelash about dishing out $50-60 grand for the first new Challenger? To some people, 10 grand doesn't mean any more than what a couple hundred bucks means to me. Just hope that Dodge starts crankin these suckers out so that the markup is short-lived.
I also will not pay markup. I'll wait if need be for the fervor to die down and then pay MSRP or maybe even get one with incentives. Most bidders you see at Barrett Jackson are speculators who are looking to make a buck on these cars. (Ever notice a car that is in the auction for consecutive years, there are a quite a few.) Few are enthusiasts that will ever actually drive and enjoy what they are bidding on. Sure there will be a few who'll buy a new Challenger or several and then mothball them for future speculation but there will be many more who'll buy one because it is the "flavor of the month" and have to have the newest thing out there. These are the ones who'll trade them in after a year for the next flavor of the month. Then we'll have choices of new or used Challengers to further dampen the markup possibility. Then guess what? The Camaro will come out and lessen the chances of Dodge dealers gouging buyers even more to be competitive with the Camaro and it's prospective buyers. And yes high production numbers can't hurt either! Dealers that try to "get over" on customers to turn even greater profit will get none of my money and will never gain loyal customers by what amounts to extortion to purchase a new model vehicle.

Quick Reply: Challenger markup