Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   General Dodge Challenger Discussions (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/)
-   -   Dropping the R/T (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/dropping-r-t-4920/)

Carbon 10-05-2008 01:43 AM

Dropping the R/T

how hard is it to drop the R/T down an inch or two?
The SRT is definitely lower and less gap in the wheel well then the R/T with the same size wheel.

anyone know the best way to do this or any thoughts?

thx!

jockomikey 10-05-2008 01:48 AM

RE: Dropping the R/T

I wouldn't go more than an inch. Just change the springs. Eibach makes them.

Cuda340 10-05-2008 04:40 AM

ORIGINAL: Carbon

The SRT is definitely lower and less gap in the wheel well then the R/T with the same size wheel.

There is less gap in the wheel well because the SRT is one inch lower and comes with 20" wheels.

tommyroadrunner 10-05-2008 05:26 AM

Just dropping height by installing Eibach springs may result in excessive compression of the stock shock absorbers resulting in premature failure, like 6 months. This conclusion comes from other website commentary. As for me, upgrading shocks and springs simultaneously is the solution, albeit a very costly solution. Sounds like $2000 to get closer to SRT handling and dropping an inch or so. Yikes!!

A very similar scenario seems to be reality regarding exhaust upgrades-sounds like $2000 for a more pleasing tone and very minimal increase in RWH on the dyno. Yikes!!

As an asice, my 09 R/T 6 speed in black, built 9/24, is riding the rails heading west. Russ Ficek of Timberline Dodge tells me VinWin looses accuracy quite often after the vehicle goes into the custody of the railroad. Hence, my baby could be here next Friday based on his previous experience, instead of the 20th per VinWin!!! Russ is getting this plug as he is a lifelong car enthusiast himself and has been exemplary to deal with. The highest recommendation is given...

davidstan 10-05-2008 08:41 AM

Some have commented that deleting the suitcase muffler and going straght pipes in its place is a 100.00 option for throaty sound. 350.00 fpr installed lowering springs so for 450.00 approx you can do a lot for a r/t auto.

RoswellGrey 10-05-2008 05:00 PM

I just learned that it's very simple to lower the Challenger about an inch for $55. For the first time, I filled the gas tank in the SE. ;)

Dodge Favre ever 10-05-2008 07:04 PM

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey

I just learned that it's very simple to lower the Challenger about an inch for $55. For the first time, I filled the gas tank in the SE. ;)
Wow, a tank of gas lasts for over 6 weeks in a SE, great gas mileage. :D

mopar2ya 10-05-2008 07:58 PM

Yeah... my math is a lot easier... $20 for short jaunts... $30 if I actually go anywhere...

RoswellGrey 10-05-2008 08:17 PM

Till now, the most I'd put in it was $15. It IS an SE. :D

Carbon 10-10-2008 10:34 PM

Cuda,
I have 20" Wheels on my R/T also.
I've seen 2 SRT's right next to mine and they are way lower and less gap with the same size wheels.

I guess I should change my wheels first before I drop it.

having to change Springs and Shocks at the same time will cost a lot probably.........hhmmmm

Carbon 10-11-2008 02:25 AM

here's a question:
I just looked at those Springs here
http://www.moparsupercenter.com/eiba....html?cat=1314
it says it's a 1" drop and supposed to fit the R/T and the SRT. Since the SRT is already lower then the R/T with different springs it could never be the same drop.
the last thing i want is to be a inch lower then the SRT and bottom out all the time
i'm gonna try and email the company

RoswellGrey 10-11-2008 02:29 AM

When you write them, Carbon, ask if the kit fits the SE, too, please. ;)

Carbon 10-14-2008 02:15 PM

Roswell, here are some that fit the SE also
http://ptboutique.com/items/challeng...ngs-detail.htm

still doing research still.
BTW.....I saw a lot of posts of people hating Eibach Springs on the net for other model cars, but that was posted back in 2006

s>

deltaboxxx 10-14-2008 02:23 PM

dont get smaller wheels to lower it. the 20's were meant for the size of the challenger wheel wells. itll look like crap with 18s.

lowering it on the stock shocks will be bouncy eventually,usualy u can get away with a 1 inch drop without hurting anything. anything more than 1 inch u will want shocks meant for lowering, or coilovers (which im not sure about the suspension on the challenger are available.)

tdub2112 10-14-2008 03:57 PM

I thought at first the topic was about Dodge "Dropping" the R/T.
Let's just say I about "Dropped" one in my shorts

Carbon 10-14-2008 04:11 PM

Only a One Inch is needed and from what I've read no new shocks will be needed either especially since Mopar offers a kit to do it also.
too bad there wasn't just some sort of threads you could turn to lower it a bit.

Maybe I'll just lower the front and leave the back for a few days so it's jacked up a bit .........8)

mopar2ya 10-14-2008 06:15 PM

ORIGINAL: deltaboxxx

dont get smaller wheels to lower it. the 20's were meant for the size of the challenger wheel wells. itll look like crap with 18s.
20s have very low profile tires... 18s would likely be used with a higher profile sidewall wouldn"t you say... making up a similar outside diameter and filling the wheelwell... :eek:

66Cuda 10-15-2008 06:15 AM

This is true Mopar. I have the 18"s on my car and I like them, they look just fine. Having had low-pro tires in the past I chose not to have them on this car. I have had nothing but problems with lo-pro tires and didn't want to go through that with my new Challenger.

ORIGINAL: mopar2ya

ORIGINAL: deltaboxxx

20s have very low profile tires... 18s would likely be used with a higher profile sidewall wouldn"t you say... making up a similar outside diameter and filling the wheelwell... :eek:

fatcat 10-15-2008 09:55 AM

I ordered a bunch of parts yesterday at my Dodge dealer from Dodge's "NEW" Challenger accessary book and in that catalog they showed the complete lowering kit with both springs and correct shocks. Asked the head parts guy whom I've know for years and he said the kit was for the R/T and S/E and as for the SRT it was not needed as it is already lower . The SE may not be as low due to less weight of the V-6 . Dats All Folks hope this helps, Fat Cat[sm=gears.gif]

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey

When you write them, Carbon, ask if the kit fits the SE, too, please. ;)

RoswellGrey 10-15-2008 09:57 AM

Thanks, Fat Cat. You too, Carbon.

Carbon 10-15-2008 11:15 AM

Fatcat,

I saw a Blue mopar kit (Springs and Shocks) and it said it was only for the SRT only which I thought was weird considering it was saying it would make the SRT suspension better.
Isn't the SRT supposed to be already tweaked to perfection? so I thought it was odd that it said "SRT"
Someone at Mopar needs to get their sh*t together, cuz this is the 3 part I've found that has conflicting models and info.

I'm going down today to get the Mopar CAI, i'll see what I can find out also!

s>

Carbon 10-16-2008 02:02 AM

so Fatcat, my dealer parts guys said the same as yours about those Blue springs.

It looked like they had these springs in the catalog also.
http://ptboutique.com/items/challeng...ngs-detail.htm
But they weren't approved for the Challenger yet and also said 'Not for the Charger 08 R/T" which leads me to believe they won't be for the Chally R/T Either.

I'm gonna call Eibach and see what they recommend.
I'm not looking to spending 2k for one inch.....8)

kevin2323 10-16-2008 02:12 AM

dont buy straight from mopar....you are buying an aftermarket kit with a mopar logo over it and paying more for the product.

shop around.