Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   General Dodge Challenger Discussions (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/)
-   -   Hood Scoop Inlet Doors (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/hood-scoop-inlet-doors-124/)

deranged 03-08-2006 04:34 PM

RE: Hood Scoop Inlet Doors

Yes they are!;)

B00SS 03-08-2006 05:11 PM

ORIGINAL: dodgebrothers

I just hope they don't scrap the whole deal in production and make them fake.
If they do we could call it "Challenstang." Oops, sorry ford guys. Just ribbing you.

Jeremiah 29:11 03-15-2006 08:59 PM

This is a new article quote:

"My first glance at Dodge Challenger stopped me in my tracks. The car is so true to its '70 Challenger heritage that you'll think you've stepped back 36 years in time. I was standing there as the crew fired up the Hemi under the hood and drove the Challenger into the display area at the Convention Center. The functional buttery-fly induction valves in the hood cracked open with each burst of V8 growl from the twin rectangular exhaust outlets. Precisely what a muscle car should sound like!"

I did see in a video that they open up like butterfly wings when throttled.......that is way too cool.

Jeremiah 29:11

Jeremiah 29:11 03-18-2006 09:58 PM

Well I now know why the hood looked different on some Challengers with dual scoops vs shaker scoops.

"The R/T's standard hood had two hood scoops, but they did not feed directly into the air cleaner. For just $97, the buyer could specify the shaker scoop, which mounted to the air cleaner and stuck up through an opening in the hood. It was known as the "shaker" as it vibrated along with the engine."

I sure am glad this Challenger feeds directly to the air cleaner. Based on my previous hood picture posting.

I prefer the dual scoop doors myself.

Applegarth 03-19-2006 06:44 AM

The thing that concernes me about the butterfly valves on the hood is corrosion. I would hate to have those things covered in rust after a few years. Putting two diferent types of metal together, exposed to the elements increases the chance of corrosion, unless they made the whole assembly out of aluminum and clearcoated it all.

A friend of mine has a 2004 Ford truck and all the aluminum attached to the engine (alternator, intake manifold, valve covers) are covered in white corrosion. Apparently they didn't care to spend the extra couple of bucks on corrosion prevention. Now I don't think Dodge will do this to the Challenger, but it does concern me.

Jeremiah 29:11 03-19-2006 10:32 PM

Well if they do turn out to be aluminum, I will keep the clean and coat them and if the worst happens I wil have stainless steep versions made and make them shine.

wallstreetman 03-20-2006 10:04 AM

I too think they should be made of stainless steel!

chubbs 04-01-2006 04:41 PM

yes they i think they should be made of some kind of "shiny metel"(i still think crome would be the best)

chubbs 04-01-2006 04:42 PM

of corse you will have to take more care of the crome than some thing like stanless steel

Jeremiah 29:11 04-25-2006 10:16 PM

What if due to thermodynamics and the location of the Hood scoops that because of air pressure both positive and negative that there would be no hood scoops at all.

Performance can be increased if these scoops are at least 1" above the surface of the hood, because the air flows faster than right at the hood's surface.
Thus, the air flowing over the hood is "ramed" into the scoops, through the air ducts, and into the engine.

But the Challenger concept car's hood scoops are right on the surface and not above it which may negate and positive air flow.

While most scoops either point upwards or forward, Chevrolet pioneer their "Cowl Induction" system which featured a backward facing scoop right at the base of the windshield. This scoop actually received air that was forced backwards after hitting the windshield.

Could you live with with a Cowl Induction System or the second technique is to move the entire air filter & carb assembly out from under the hood. The most common examples are Shaker hoods where the air filter physically protrudes out of the hood. Thus, the air is drawn directly from the outside, without having to go through any piping. It is called a Shaker hood because the air filter cover actually can be seen shaking as the engine vibrates. This technique also has a greater benefit the higher off of the hood it is the faster the air flow.

If you had to live without a dual scoop inlets.....which would you choose:

1. No hood scoops

2. Cowl induction

3. Shaker hood

4. What about a dual scoops raised and facing backwards towards the driver like a dual cowl system. You could see them opening and closing as you gave it the gas.

Maybe, it is just getting too late and I just fell off the deep end. LOL!