Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   General Dodge Challenger Discussions (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/)
-   -   How Much is Too Much? (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/how-much-too-much-1273/)

Cuda340 04-25-2007 05:31 PM

How Much is Too Much?

I plan to buy my Challenger in 2009 after all of the excitement dies down a bit. By that time, it may be possible to bargain with dealers and have a wider variety of options.

However, I was wondering what is the "breaking point" for you guys planning on buying the Challenger next Spring? I expect that all of the dealers, at a minimum, will ask for MSRP. Most will also tack on "market ajustments" in the thousands. [:@]

The question is how much is too much? A $5,000 adjustment? $10,000?
$15,000?? What will make you say NO and wait until 2009?

TechmanBD 04-25-2007 05:48 PM

RE: How Much is Too Much?

I wouldn't pay over MSRP. Never have, never will.

lear4406 04-25-2007 07:05 PM

Top of the line 6.1 or 6.4 and a six-speed. $45-46 000. And if it is higher, then the money will go to put a 6.4 + 6-speed in my 71. So the balls in Dodges court.

Justinec101 04-25-2007 08:05 PM

I'll probably be waiting a while. I can't afford anything over 30k. And even that's pushing it. . . .

mopar440 04-25-2007 08:56 PM

I will be waiting regardless for the second production run, to see if they come out with any other models, like T/A version.

Kupa52 04-25-2007 09:52 PM

well im 15 and i can hardly afford anything, but i think 28-29000 would be good (obviously not top of the line)

anyone know what i could get for around that?

RoswellGrey 04-25-2007 11:48 PM

Not one cent over MSRP. Besides, if you wait a few months, they'll knock $5,000 or $6,000 off the price -- and I don't think it will be very long before that happens. Everyone should keep in mind that on this board, it looks like there are a LOT of people who want a Challenger. In reality, it's not going to be that big a seller. Although I personally would never want a four-door car, I think most people these days do. And most people who want some kind of "sporty" two-door car aren't about to pay even $30,000 for one -- not when a Mustang can be had for under $18,000. I seriously doubt the sales of the new Challenger approach that of the 1970 model. Maybe like the figures for 1974.

wallstreetman 04-26-2007 08:57 AM

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey

Not one cent over MSRP. Besides, if you wait a few months, they'll knock $5,000 or $6,000 off the price -- and I don't think it will be very long before that happens. Everyone should keep in mind that on this board, it looks like there are a LOT of people who want a Challenger. In reality, it's not going to be that big a seller. Although I personally would never want a four-door car, I think most people these days do. And most people who want some kind of "sporty" two-door car aren't about to pay even $30,000 for one -- not when a Mustang can be had for under $18,000. I seriously doubt the sales of the new Challenger approach that of the 1970 model. Maybe like the figures for 1974.
You're in for a BIG surprize!

chill21genlee 04-26-2007 09:02 AM

I personally have never paid even close to MSRP, let alone over it. As excited as I am about this car, another 6-8 months isn't going to kill me. Not to mention the general thought that the 1st production run of a new model has a tendency to be problem prone. I would just as soon wait a year until I can get EXACTLY what I want and for a reasonable price.
Here's a question though... do you think Dodge will allow custom orders??

I had an M3 built to my exact Specs a couple of years ago, granted BMW and Dodge have very little in common, but I was just wondering if anyone knew if there might be the possibility to have on built to your sepcs down the road.

Anyone have any good info on that??

Cuda340 04-26-2007 09:49 AM

I think that in year two (2009) you should probably be able to order a Challenger with your options. A friend of mine was able to custom order a 2007 Charger SRT because he did not want it loaded with expensive items such as kicker stereo, navigational system, dual A/C control, sunroof, etc. These options tack on over $6,000 (and make dealers very happy).

Paladin06 04-26-2007 09:54 AM

With all the hype over this car if think you can get one at or below MSRP I'm afraid you're dreaming and you better start looking for another means of transportation.

chill21genlee 04-26-2007 09:55 AM

Thanks for the info.. you are right about the dealers. I have access to some Nissan True Pricing sheets, and a lot of the cars themselves don't have huge base price markups. BUT, when you look at what they are holding on the options and options packages, the typical markup is 150-200%!!

So basically, the more crap they can talk you in to tacking on (whether you really need it or not) the higher exponentially their profit margin rises.

That's another reason I was asking, I want a top of the line Challenger in terms of engine, but not necessarily all of the extra crap that they will force onto that trim line in almost every single one that will be available at a dealership.

Hope you are right about being able to order them!!!

chill21genlee 04-26-2007 10:18 AM

ORIGINAL: Paladin06

With all the hype over this car if think you can get one at or below MSRP I'm afraid you're dreaming and you better start looking for another means of transportation.

I agree to an extent and definitely in 2008, but there is always a frenzy when a hot new car comes out, and it typically dies down by the next year. I think there will be huge demand on this car (more than Dodge expects) which will cause them to boost the production #'s in 09, thereby reducing the premiums.

From a dollars and cents standpoint, if the car is in high demand, Dodge stands to make much more by taking in MSRP on a higher volume of vehicles than they do by having deep gouges on a smaller amount of volume.

The production unmbers will be lower in 08simply b/c they cannot afford to make too many if the brand isn't as successful as they hope, not to mention manufacturing time restraints.
But by the 09 model, they will hopefully have the ability and desire to produce a much higher volume.

Not that it's an apples to apples comparison, but the same was true with the latest iteration of the Mustang in the first year of that new body style. Mustangs are produced at a MUCH higher volume than you can expect the Challenger to ever be, but I am hoping the basic econimic principals of supply and demand will still hold true

MGDMike 04-26-2007 10:18 AM

I'll be in Iraq at the time the Challenger comes out so whoever is feeling generous could buy me one as a welcome home present!:) Naw.. j/k! If they have an ordering process in place I'll do that. But, I'm not feeling like spending more than $33 grand.

TechmanBD 04-26-2007 01:23 PM

But I don't think it is Dodge that gouges the customers. It is the dealers. Dodge says this is the MSRP. It is the suggested price. The dealer can sell them for whatever they want. The dealers are the ones that screw the people with the inflated price. And DCX really can't tell them not to.

mopar440 04-26-2007 01:25 PM

Well, from what I understand Dodge is grouping options together in a standard packages now. Like if you go to Dodge site an pre spec a 2008 Charger you will see what I mean. They have R/T package. R/T preferred package, and the Road and Track package. You can still choose your radios, sunroof, etc. But thats about it.

WhiteHeat 04-26-2007 02:30 PM

Speaking as someone who has spec'd out and special ordered a Dodge before, yes I'm sure you'll be able to do that with the Challenger - eventually. Granted, mine was a 2001 Dakota, but I logged on to AutoByTel.com and they connected me with their nearest affiliated Dodge dealer who ordered exactly what I wanted for 4% over invoice. I couldn't get anyone near me to match that deal, so I ordered from that dealer even though he was 200 miles away.

Things to consider:
[ul][*] First year frenzy may make ordering impossible until year two. [*] Ordering means waiting, which can be excruciating! Ask anyone on this board! [*] I'm assuming the top-of-the-line Challengers will always be in high demand, so they may not let you order an SRT8 that way, or if they do the price may still be steep. [*] And, as mentioned above, ordering will certainly be in packages, so I doubt you'll ever be able to completely order a la carte.[/ul]
To those here who say the Challenger will always be over MSRP, I disagree. The SRT8s might be, but the base models or the R/Ts will probably be in full supply at least by year two. My budget won't allow me to by 'til then anyway, so I'm hoping they will be plentiful when I'm ready to buy.

Heat

deranged 04-26-2007 04:24 PM

I will be ready to buy in '08 but am not willing to be gouged by some dealers get rich quick scheming. $35 grand for a well optioned 5.7 R/T is about as high as I will be willing to pay. I think that there will be plenty of them available by the release date, with a production target of 50,000 the first year, but the V/8 powered Challengers will not be as plentiful. Only problem is my dealer is smaller and might have a tough time getting one for me. I will go elsewhere if he can't. I'm not really worried that much about first run problems as most of the major components are already tested through other models currently on the road. If price and availability problems become an issue I can wait a little longer. I'm a patient man.[:@]:D

lear4406 04-26-2007 04:34 PM

Patience is a virtue. And its what car salesmen hate the most. Car fever is what they want from their customers. So I'm with you on the waiting. I put money into my savings account like I'm making a car payment. So I hope to be ahead of the game by game time.

chill21genlee 04-26-2007 04:37 PM

ORIGINAL: TechmanBD

But I don't think it is Dodge that gouges the customers. It is the dealers. Dodge says this is the MSRP. It is the suggested price. The dealer can sell them for whatever they want. The dealers are the ones that screw the people with the inflated price. And DCX really can't tell them not to.
That's completely true, but they are all related. The gouges are created by demand, which is fueled by shortages of supply. So again (and this only reinforces my point): If it does well in 08, DCX will react by beefing up production, thus makeing themselves more money, creating a surge in supply, and removing dealer's ability and means to demand such steep (gouge) prices.

My point with all of that is this: As tough as it will be to do (especially once I start seeing them on the road) it makes more logical sense to wait until 09 for at least these 3 reasons:
-More trim / color / engine choices available
-Lower Price
-Less Defects & recalls

It will be PAINFUL to wait that long, but what's a year really when the benefits are so great?

zman 04-26-2007 05:17 PM

For me it looks like if I can't get the SRT or an R/T version with the 6.1 at least for about 50k Can, I may have to wait until year two of production. Hope it does't get as high as 60k, cause for another 7k you can get into a much more refined set of wheels, like a Vette.

TechmanBD 04-26-2007 05:55 PM

Or the Porsche Cayman S.[8D]

Jeremiah 29:11 04-26-2007 07:14 PM

ORIGINAL: lear4406

Patience is a virtue. And its what car salesmen hate the most. Car fever is what they want from their customers. So I'm with you on the waiting. I put money into my savings account like I'm making a car payment. So I hope to be ahead of the game by game time.
My plan exactly.

Cuda340 04-27-2007 06:55 AM

I am sure that DCX will be doing market studies to see what the Challenger's competion is selling for (i.e., Camaro, Mustang, GTO, Corvette). They will not price themselves out of the market.

In southern NJ, standard Corvette's are now being discounted for $40,000.

bigwhitebird29 04-27-2007 09:31 PM

I’ve mentioned this before on a previous forum so you might have read this....

Some of you are talking about waiting till 2009 to purchase the challenger for more options, lower price, etc. But I would like to remind you about the history of muscle car value. First generation collectors are more valuable than second generation collectors... regardless of options. Hence, the 2008 stock, no options challenger will be worth more than the 2009 challenger with options comes 30+ years from now. Options are great; we all love a little more luxury. But future value of this collector’s item may be something to consider.

Oh and one more thing to add... I actually learned about this awesome car about a month ago while going to a ford dealer looking to purchase a 2007 Ford Mustang ShelbyGT500 (down payment in hand, ready to sign papers mind you) and while talking to the sales rep about the shelbyGT he had on the floor, he mentioned other hotrods in comparison. The new 2008 Dodge Challenger was one of them. Stupid sales rep just lost a sale, LOL... I’m glad he did it, Now I’m on the wait for this hot new Challenger which I will have yet another years worth of car payments for a down payment :D

Mustangs hot, Corvettes snott, and the Challenger just blew em both away.....

Jeremiah 29:11 04-27-2007 09:44 PM

Hence, the 2008 stock, no options challenger will be worth more than the 2009 challenger with options comes 30+ years from now.
My thoughts:

1. The first year of anything will be hard to get unless you live in a big city with 5 star dealerships. (Rumors are 30-50K in the first year WW) Not all dealerships will get them.

2. The first year cars will be expensive.

3. The first year cars may have a few bugs and hopefully fixed and enhancements in the 2 year.

4. If I wait to sell it until it is worth selling (30 years so you say), I will be dead by then. For that matter, there are no guarantees about tomorrow for any of us.

5. I will hold on to it for 15-20 years and give it to my sons.

I am all about enjoying today.

You must must be a young "buckaroo". ( said like in the Hunt for Red October by Sean Connery) LOL!

Nags 04-29-2007 12:19 AM

any body who pays over MSRP for anything is retarted. i'm sorry thats just my opion. i don't mean to offend any one on here

Cuda340 04-30-2007 07:41 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: bigwhitebird29

I’ve mentioned this before on a previous forum so you might have read this....

Some of you are talking about waiting till 2009 to purchase the challenger for more options, lower price, etc. But I would like to remind you about the history of muscle car value. First generation collectors are more valuable than second generation collectors... regardless of options. Hence, the 2008 stock, no options challenger will be worth more than the 2009 challenger with options comes 30+ years from now. Options are great; we all love a little more luxury. But future value of this collector’s item may be something to consider.

Oh and one more thing to add... I actually learned about this awesome car about a month ago while going to a ford dealer looking to purchase a 2007 Ford Mustang ShelbyGT500 (down payment in hand, ready to sign papers mind you) and while talking to the sales rep about the shelbyGT he had on the floor, he mentioned other hotrods in comparison. The new 2008 Dodge Challenger was one of them. Stupid sales rep just lost a sale, LOL... I’m glad he did it, Now I’m on the wait for this hot new Challenger which I will have yet another years worth of car payments for a down payment :D

Where do you think you are going to buy a 2008 Challenger stock with no options?

If the Charger SRT is any indication, dealers order them with Option Groups 1, 2, and 3. Also, some have the Super Bee Option, as well as sunroofs. This is how they maximize their profits. I expect that the same thing will happen with the Challenger.

A base 2007 Charger SRT sells for $35,920. Now tack on the following:

Option 1 (dual zone A/C, heated seats, etc)= $ 675
Option 2 (Kicker stereo)= $1,275
Option 3 (navigation system)= $2,335
Sunroof= $ 950
Super Bee= $1,900
TOTAL= $7,135 (17% ot the total cost)

MSRP with all of the above options= $43,055. Selling price (per edmunds.com)= $41,511.

The problem will be trying to find a dealer who will order you one without all of this garbage, or who will heavily discount these options. Unfortunately, this probably won't occur until 2009.

Lemhi 05-30-2007 11:40 AM

I was thinking about the shelby as well. Until I heard about the challenger.
I do not like ford too much but i do like the classic shelbys... 1967 it looks mean and lovely ...
However.. chevy is bringing out the camero in 2008.
I wonder if there is like a web site where you can compare all three cars.
I am a chic.. I want options.. fully loaded.. hell if iam going to spend the money i want some fun.
:D

McDonald 05-30-2007 03:18 PM

Just know your on the right forum!! ;) Camaro is ugly and just as ugly in person.. An embarrassment to GM but if they want to build it the Challenger will dominate it in looks.. In my opinion Gt500 is a lot better looking than the Camaro. But the 6.4L 392 Hemi all motor will dominate the Supercharged Gt with body kit and stripes GT500.

wallstreetman 05-31-2007 08:36 AM

The CAMARO is coming in 09, and it's BUTT UGLY!

ORIGINAL: Lemhi

I was thinking about the shelby as well. Until I heard about the challenger.
I do not like ford too much but i do like the classic shelbys... 1967 it looks mean and lovely ...
However.. chevy is bringing out the camero in 2008.
I wonder if there is like a web site where you can compare all three cars.
I am a chic.. I want options.. fully loaded.. hell if iam going to spend the money i want some fun.
:D

danio3834 06-06-2007 05:56 AM

I want one, bad. But I won't be gouged.

zman 06-06-2007 08:40 AM

You people out there that think you will get a top model of the Challenger or Camaro for under 50k are California dreamin. With the way the Canadian dollar is gaining strength fast, you'll just end up paying more for one since it's going to cost Cerberus more to produce them in Canada now. I think you might get a basic model for about 45k[sm=signs003.gif] It's costing us in Ontario Canada 50k just for the SRT8 Charger, with the 2 dollars becoming close to being on par with each other, well you figure it out.

awsure 06-06-2007 01:59 PM

I think it is a bit premature to make any predictions. Pricing will depend heavily on production numbers and model options. If we get a couple V8 options along with a V6 in decent numbers I tend to believe prices will not get inflated too badly.

Even without that remember that this forum primarily consists of die-hards and does not represent the muscle/performance car buying public. There are options to the Challenger for those that remain open to them. If dealers get too nutty many will simply go buy a Mustang or something comparable. Others will wait a year to look at a Camaro.

I myself will not consider paying over MSRP and will wait if I cannot get one for that. We'll see...

Cuda340 06-07-2007 08:14 AM

Car and Driver, in its July 2007 issue, stated that the Challenger prices will range from $25-$35,000, depending on options. This makes sense. It roughly follows the pricing scale of the Charger.

The article also said that a V-6, a 6.1, and a 6.4 will be produced. If this is correct, the car will be very affordable to all and will be major competition to the Mustang and the Camaro.

mopar26 06-07-2007 11:21 AM

As bad as i really want one i think i would have to end up waiting til 2009 for the prices to go down. 30-35k is pushin it for me and i am lookin to get the r/t version. this way i could also have time to see what everyone else is buying. if i start seeing nothing but black or orange ones driving around then i will be sure to go with a different color. plus the 2nd year of production will probably have more options.