Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   General Dodge Challenger Discussions (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/)
-   -   Price of Challenger really be 40k? (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/price-challenger-really-40k-2100/)

thenatural 12-06-2007 12:47 PM

Price of Challenger really be 40k?

Will the MSRP of 40k be what it goes for at the dealer or will the dealer hike it up to 60 grand like the shelby mustang? I am on the waiting list but I cant fork out 60 grand for a car that MSRPs at 40! Thanks

bluestang50 12-06-2007 02:03 PM

RE: Price of Challenger really be 40k?

My dealer agreed to sell it to me at MSRP and put it in writing, but there will be dealers that want over MSRP.

jockomikey 12-06-2007 06:15 PM

Got mine for 42,000. It's in writing and I only had to put 2000. down. Depends where you go I guess.

mopar2ya 12-07-2007 03:42 AM

Got mine ordered, first order at this particular dealer, for $41,985 which is MSRP with the 3 available options. This particular dealer said they refuse to play the second sticker/additional mark-up game and just wanted a loyal customer base. Said thier business model was based on that philosophy, so when a limited car like this comes along a couple of people win with the MSRP deal and are VERY happy. Of the other dealers I spoke with they wanted, $10, $20, and $30k over MSRP. Thing is people who don't find the right dealer in time will either pay these type of mark-ups or wait until things settle down. Took a bit of calling around, but looks like I found a winning dealer for this one. Cheers!!

mac 12-07-2007 05:44 PM

I would agree with you but don't wont to be ridiculed by others on this board such as "supply and demand" don't you understand simple basic economics (Yes I leared about Adam Smith in the 8th grade), or I should be happy for people who want to spend 10000 over MSRP and what is my problem.

Actually I like to be ridiculed, so yes you are right on and I would never purchase this car for above MSRP. I am not happy for people who throw there hard earned money away and consider them foolish. I also do not go out for lunch everyday at work and do not drink Starbuck coffee because of the price. Why waste your money on things you can not show for except the waistline.

I know I am in the extreame minority, and I like "toys" and would rather sacrafice not going out to dinner evey night and be able to drive my BMW or Harley. I also must get a good deal based on research I conduct rather than pay full price because I was ignorant.

So I say let the buyer beware and do your homework as you have done in order to save your money for retirement and at the same time have fun in the present.

I do like this car and plan to purchase a 2009 or 2010 model year.

davidstan 12-08-2007 04:51 AM

All options and our state tax i'm paying just over 45K for my 08. I may give my order to my nephew and buy the 09 though.

BootCamp 01-05-2008 09:26 AM

ORIGINAL: mac
...... I am not happy for people who throw there hard earned money away and consider them foolish. I also do not go out for lunch everyday at work and do not drink Starbuck coffee because of the price. Why waste your money on things you can not show for except the waistline.

There are differences between "cheap", "frugal", and "impulsive".
A cheap person refuses to spend money because they prefer to do without an object more than doing without the money it costs.
A frugal person realizes a value of something, and shops diligently to get the best deal they can to maximize the value vs. cost.
An impulsive person will spend money carelessly because they don't consider value....they only consider the fact that they want something at that time and give in to that impulse.

I consider myself to be a frugal person. I don't mind spending money for something that I want - that has a value to me greater than the financial cost. Inasmuch, I'll do my homework and find the best deal I can to get what I want at the lowest cost that I can. I try to maximize the value.

I love Starbucks coffee, but it's a "luxury" to me, so I only indulge in it "on occasion". I don't buy it every day - or every week for that fact. If I have one once a month, that's rare.
I don't go out to eat often (maybe two or three times a year) - I have a kitchen and food at home.
I never go to the movie theater - I'll wait six months and buy the DVD for the price of one movie admission and have the movie to watch as many times as I please - without someone talking behind me while I'm trying to watch the movie.
I don't go on vacation to the same place more than once - I want to see other places and use my money/time to do that.

While I can't justify paying MORE than MSRP for a car - ANY car, (it depreciates in value as soon as it leaves the dealers lot and doesn't start to appreciate in value - in most cases - until it becomes a "classic"), I guess SOME folks would find value in paying more than suggested retail value and would do so willingly, so I can't fault them for that. But that's not me. Besides, I want this car equipped exactly the way I want it, and I can't get that in an '08, so I'll continue to wait until I CAN get what I want.

mac 01-05-2008 05:27 PM

Amen to your post. Sometimes I feel not many people have our same perspective on things. I will purchase really nice things and try to get the best price by doing my homework and at the same time save my money and not purchase items I consider wasteful.

Jeremiah 29:11 01-06-2008 08:17 AM

Bootcamp,

I have a very similiar philosophy in purchasing, but I sometimes I feel like I over analyze. But I also try not to get into analysis paralysis mode either.

I usually make my coffee every day but I do get my Starbucks fix when I visit Barnes and Noble checking out the magazine rack for Challenger information.

I also go to the movies about once a month to spend time with my family since I know my sons will be moving out soon and I am cherishing all the time I have left with them.

Very good summary on buying philosophies.

tahitijim 01-06-2008 02:54 PM

Will my order be produced?

I placed an order with my local dealer. Is it sure to be produced? Can I check the build date?

Anyone with any clue?

THX