Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   General Dodge Challenger Discussions (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/)
-   -   Quarter mile times. (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/quarter-mile-times-2975/)

Old_Goat 04-04-2008 05:40 PM

Quarter mile times.

Did a search on 'quarter' and did not come up with much.

Are there any published times for the Challenger SRT in any publications?

April 08 Car and Driver........."estimated 13.1"
April 08 Motor trend........"and mid 13 second quarter mile runs"
April 08 Hot Rod............."with quarter mile times in the low 13's"

If the Challenger doesn't turn at least a 13.1, IMHO something is wrong.

A 2005 SRT8 300 did a 13.2 @ 108 (5 speed auto) in the February 2005 issue of Motor Trend. I feel strongly that I would be grossly disappointed if the 300 SRT was faster than the Challenger.

Did I miss something on my search?

1971cuda convert 04-04-2008 06:14 PM

RE: Quarter mile times.

I would think with only a few small mods you could improve that time .Has anyone modified a srt charger on here and if so how did it run afterwards.

Old_Goat 04-04-2008 06:20 PM

ORIGINAL: 1971cuda convert

I would think with only a few small mods you could improve that time .Has anyone modified a srt charger on here and if so how did it run afterwards.
I understand this.

I am looking for straight off the floor room stock or what the car rags come up with.

Cuda340 04-05-2008 11:46 AM

ORIGINAL: 1971cuda convert

A friend of mine has a 2007 Charger SRT.

Best time stock was 13.6 @106 mph.

After a few mods, his best was 12.75 @111 mph.

The mods were: PREDATOR, AFE CAI, JBA catback, and 4128 stat.

This can give you an idea of the Challenger's potential. ;)

Old_Goat 04-05-2008 06:31 PM

OK guys I appreciate your posts on possible mods.

I took my 2005 A4 GTO from 13.67 box stock to 12.12 with mods so I have a pretty good grasp on how to get better times.

If I were to buy a Challenger I would take the same avenue to get better times.
Start with drag radials, tune, exhaust cutouts, headers, and a torque converter.

What I am looking for is a base line time that some of the car rags have turned. As a Pontiac GTO owner I subscribed to High Performance Ponticac, GM High Tech, and Pontiac Enthusiast. I am assuming that there are magazines that profile the Dodge/Chrysler cars like the above mentioned books profiled my GTO. I was wondering if there were any magazines of this nature that had actually tested a new Challenger and if anybody remembered the quarter mile times.

I am looking for a baseline, or close to a baseline, more than anything else.

1 Bad Mirada 04-05-2008 09:03 PM

to answer your question, I dont believe that anyone has taken a challenger out and proven what it can or cannot do. the only real basis right now would be the performance numbers of the other SRT8 cars, considering the fact that the challenger is slightly lighter and has slightly less wheelbase. i would expect a stock challenger to be able to sniff 12s with some work, stock...with the auto trans. there are people who have put srt8 sedans into the high 12s stock...with the manual trans and option gears, there is NO reason that a 6.1L challenger shouldnt run in the 12s. i would expect stock times to be slightly better than the stock LS2 GTO times, with the transmissions matching. drag radials alone will make a big difference...

Old_Goat 04-05-2008 09:49 PM

ORIGINAL: 1 Bad Mirada

to answer your question, I dont believe that anyone has taken a challenger out and proven what it can or cannot do. the only real basis right now would be the performance numbers of the other SRT8 cars, considering the fact that the challenger is slightly lighter and has slightly less wheelbase. i would expect a stock challenger to be able to sniff 12s with some work, stock...with the auto trans. there are people who have put srt8 sedans into the high 12s stock...with the manual trans and option gears, there is NO reason that a 6.1L challenger shouldnt run in the 12s. i would expect stock times to be slightly better than the stock LS2 GTO times, with the transmissions matching. drag radials alone will make a big difference...
Thank you, this is what I was looking for.

I do know when the SRT8 turned the 13.2 that I mentioned in a prior post, the GTO M6 turned a 13.3, so yes, the Challenger should be a tad faster. I am guessing a 13.1.

Jeremiah 29:11 04-06-2008 01:08 PM

I have actually been scanning the magazine racks for a Challenger test drive report but as of this morning, I found nothing.

It seems strange to me with the 2008 cars being around the corner, I am surprised that they have not done that yet.

tupperware 04-06-2008 01:15 PM

I have a hunch that the road test reports will be in the magazines (on-line first) within the next 10 days or so....

MrKrisSullivan 04-06-2008 02:04 PM

It seems to me now that after looking at all the magizines on the web that some can very as much as .5 secs in the 0-60 times. Why is that? Most stay very close to the lower end times but some one from the fastest time to one with the lowest time can be .5 off. I really don't understand this, and which is more accurate?
But anyway, so GOAT what did your car run the 0-60 stock? Was it an LS2? Or the LS1? How many ponies did you gain from the tune?