Notices
General Dodge Challenger Discussions Discuss anything related to the new Dodge Challenger within...

Should I take the damaged one or reorder?

Old 09-06-2008, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I take the damaged one or reorder?

OK, so it's been a week and the dealership that received my damaged-on-receipt 09 RT still has NO CLUE when they'll receive a new trunk lid & spoiler to replace the damaged ones. Meanwhile, "coincidentally" the other dealer across town who I told 2 months ago that I ordered somewhere else has suddenly called me THREE times this week to ask if they can sell me a Challenger? The 1st 2 times I politely brushed off the call, saying I have one on order. But today when the guy called a 3rd time I figured to myself that he MUST have heard that I have a damaged one sitting across town waiting on parts before I'll take delivery as it's too coincidental to me that after 2 months the other guy out of the blue is now calling me multiple times a week. SO with the tropical storm raging outside & nothing else pressing to work on today, I decided to tell him "the story" (although I was thinking inside that he must know somehow already). Including how I went with the other guy but now I'm stuck waiting for a damaged vehicle to be fixed and I casually said to him that "if someone were to offer to order me the same base model stone white 2009 RT at MSRP - $1000 to cover the $1000 downpayment I'll lose if I walk from the dealership where I ordered the damaged one, I might go for it and just forget the damaged one & start all over". He said he'd have to call his mgr and I read him all the order codes on my order sheet to make sure he would be pricing out the same car as I originally ordered. He called back an hour later and said that they could now go MSRP - $1000 to order an identical RT as I have sitting damaged. I figure I'll give my original dealer another week to come up with the parts (or at LEAST a definite date on parts) OR I figure I'm going to try to put some pressure on by going in there & telling them I'm getting ready to walk unless they come up with some parts or they give me something for my trouble or THEY order me another RT & let them fix & sell the damaged one at their leisure.
Question: what would some of you do if you were me? Hold in there indefinitely @ MSRP waiting for my dealer to get parts & fix mine? Let my dealer keep the $1000 I put down and go order one somewhere else @ MSRP - $1000? Other ideas?
Old 09-06-2008, 01:12 PM

Default RE: Should I take the damaged one or reorder?

Interesting situation you have found yourself in. I would let your current dealer know that you have a better offer from another dealership. Tell them that if they dont work with you on your issue, you will take it. If that doesnt light a fire under their posterior area, nothing will.

Of course, if that doesnt do the trick then there are two possibilities. Either they are truly having trouble getting the parts, or (Paranoia Alert) they are stalling and hoping you will give up on the order so that they can put it on their lot with a nice market adjustment sticker in the window. I know, its a bit far fetched, but this car brings out the conspiracy theorist in me. HAHA.

But seriously. If you have the patience to wait for 2-3 more months for another car to be built and delivered, more power to you. But since the damage is restricted to easily replaceable parts, I would just wait for them to fix it. One would assume that would be the faster route. SF18C had some minor damage done to his Chally on delivery as well. It only took a week or so to get it fixed. Either way, its your call bro.

Edit: Why do I always catch my typos AFTER I hit submit?
Old 09-06-2008, 01:33 PM

Thanks for your thoughts and yes, I realize it's my call.

I was just wondering if there was some other consideration or factor that I wasn't seeing that someone else would.

I'm about to head west for a business trip this week and I figure I won't do anything until I get back the following week. At that point, the dealer with the damaged car will have had 2 full weeks to find out something definitive about parts. If they have nothing definite at that point, then at that point I think I'll pull the "other offer" out of my back pocket and ask them to:

1) either come up with a definite delivery date on the parts so that I know what kind of a delay I'm looking at

2) ask them to sweeten my deal (i.e. knock something off the MSRP) for my inconvenience

3) order me another car identical to the 1st & let them worry about getting this one fixed

4) if I get no satisfaction on any of those options, let them know I'm starting to head to the door.....

2-3 months is indeed a wait to start all over. BUT.... my wait on this 1st RT was only 6 weeks (maybe because I had my order in early in early July although I know there are unfortunate cases of people having had to wait longer than that). So maybe my wait would be less than 2-3 months. But even if not, by next Friday I'll have been waiting 2 weeks on parts & if they can't get parts in 2 weeks, who KNOWS how long it will take (and then get them painted & installed, etc.). If parts are impossible to come by, 2 months may go by anyway!!!

Old 09-06-2008, 01:49 PM

With the rumors on this forum of employee pricing on the RT, and the fact I ordered an SRT here in PA for $500 over invoice, I would ask for better than MSRP-$1000. I would tell the dealership with the damaged car that you're willing to wait for the car to be fixed at the invoice price, otherwise you're going elsewhere.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would cancel the order and get another one from the other dealer. Why should you settle for a new car whose trunk and spoiler have been repainted? I would worry about the quality of the paint job and how closely it matched the factory color (especially if it is one of the black or hemi-orange pearl colors).
Old 09-06-2008, 02:29 PM

Stone white. But yeah, that's EXACTLY what I'm worried about.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:01 PM

I'd at least get a better deal. But if your one of those guys who'd always be noticing any imperfection, you already know what to do.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:28 PM

I cant see how the dealer could keep any of your money. You ordered a new vehicle and the VIN does not match a "new" vehicle. Damage should be enough reason to cancel with refund.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Andre@Edge

I cant see how the dealer could keep any of your money. You ordered a new vehicle and the VIN does not match a "new" vehicle. Damage should be enough reason to cancel with refund.
I concur. Get your money back and go somewhere else.

Edit: Congratulations your 1000th post Andre.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:58 AM

Yep... I would have to agree with Andre... much as I hate to agree with with him...

I would get my $1000 back and go with the other dealer if you dont mind the wait. Alternatively you could ask the current dealer to sweeten the deal to match the other offer. However... what if they get the new parts and muff up the install of these parts? Or the parts come in damaged? Or??

If you are going to start over... I would get my $1000 deposit back citing non performing dealer... and truely start over. Couple of quick calls to local dealers should get you a competitive deal possibly somewhere neare INVOICE (not to be confused with MSRP) and start the waiting game again. Realize that by doing this you will likely be approaching winter delivery though. Who knows though... maybe a local dealer has just what your looking for sitting on thier lot waiting for a buyer?

Good luck and keep your chin up... the grin is right around the corner... Cheers!

Quick Reply: Should I take the damaged one or reorder?