Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   General Dodge Challenger Discussions (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/)
-   -   SRT Suggestions (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/srt-suggestions-1594/)

Cuda340 07-19-2007 05:49 AM

SRT Suggestions

Last night, the SRT enginners held a chat session with the SRT car owners. They were soliciting ideas for improvements in the SRT line. Here are some of the interesting suggestions:

INTERIOR:

Ventilated/cooled front seats.

Wider variety of color choices of bezel trim.

Digital readouts for the HVAC.

Cupholders, heated/cooled.

Expand the functions of the EVIC to include a digital oil level readout, a transmission fluid level readout, an engine bay temperature readout and intake temp readout.

Push-Button ignition, with wireless proximity entry.

Switch bank - A "Track Mode" switch bank in the center console that would control: ESP On/Partial/Off; Radiator fan on/off; Engine bay cooling function; Dual-temperature engine thermostat that can be switched between two settings); One-touch button for windows, sunroof, doors, and engine bay cooling fan.

EXTERIOR:

Colors - A wider selection for the SRT8 models.

Shaker Hood.

Supercharger.

Adjustable front power air dam.

Undefeatable factory wheel locks.

LED Hood lamp (to illuminate the engine bay).

Wiper arms nozzles (instead of hood location).

Hood Pins.

Jeremiah 29:11 07-19-2007 12:58 PM

RE: SRT Suggestions

I think that is a good list. I wonder why turbochargers were not recommeneded?

1 Bad Mirada 07-19-2007 03:59 PM

i would be astonished to see dodge release a supercharged V8...thats fords thing.

i think that one of the reasons that companies are staying away from factory turbos on a V8, is that you either have to run the piping from a turbo behind the y pipe, or you have to run a twin turbo system, right off of the manifolds, and in either case, it is a ton of piping, and added heat to the engine bay. ive seen remote turbo 300C SRT8s, and they had the turbo mounted next to the rear diff, with piping running up through an intercooler, and to the TB..its alot of piping, and that much piping causes a ton of boost loss and lag. also, i didnt pay attention to how they were oiling the turbo, but to run oil lines from the engine all the way back is a great deal more work, and more things to go wrong...

the only thing that interests me in that list (that i consider a real option) would be the switch panel with a variable performance mode button....other companies have done it with good results...that could provide a nice option to the MDS.

Jeremiah 29:11 07-19-2007 04:35 PM

1 Bad Mirada tell me what you think about this remote system:

http://ststurbo.com/home

With so long of intake and exhaust tubes, doesn't it take a while for the boost to build up?

No, our intake tubing volume is about the same as most conventional turbo setups that are running a front mounted intercooler, and less than many of them that run large intercoolers. We aren't talking about a small compressor filling up a large air tank, we are talking about a huge compressor filling up a very small volume which only takes a fraction of a second. Our systems compress the intake tubing in about .05 seconds. So much for turbo lag...

1 Bad Mirada 07-19-2007 04:49 PM

but the larger the compressor, the longer the lag...lag is a part of a turbo system, and is the key downside...that, and heat.

squires makes some sick kits, especially for the srt10s...a guy from DF got their kit and on very low boost, it made GOBS of horsepower....like 700 or something...im not saying that its a bad kit, but that is a downfall of remote system. take into account how the turbo system works, and its obvious that there is no way to do away with the lag, without having some sort of pre-drive system that spools the turbo at low rpm..and in that case, its basically a centri supercharger.

Jeremiah 29:11 07-19-2007 06:14 PM

I understand what you are saying about lag, but that was in the old days with heavy materials. Many compressors are using lighter alloys.

I saw a system installed on the Powerblock and the last thing they said on the episode was "You were asking about lag, what lag? Then he punched it
and he was gone.

Here is their claim:

With the turbo so far back, don't you get a lot of turbo lag?

No, our turbochargers are sized to operate at this remote location. Just like any turbocharger, once the turbo is up to temperature and in the rpm range for which it was designed to operate. The boost comes on hard and fast. All of our systems will produce full boost below 3000 rpm.
If you were to take a conventional turbo and place it at the rear, you would have lots of lag and consequently, our turbo wouldn't work properly if mounted up front.

Isn't there a huge pressure drop with such long intake tubes?

No, if the pipes were 100' long there would be but we are only talking a few extra feet and we size the charge air tubing so that it will flow without a large pressure drop. We typically will get about 1/4 to 3/4 lb difference between the turbo compressor and the intake manifold, which is nothing compared to the pressure drop across an intercooler. With high boost applications, these numbers will increase slightly.

1 Bad Mirada 07-19-2007 09:50 PM

i have a modern turbo car, and even with a tiny turbo mounted directly onto the manifold, inches from the exhaust ports, and only a few feet from the throttle body, there is lag and boost loss...and thats on a vehicle MADE for boost...

plus, turbo cars can be problematic for those who dont take care of a vehicle...like people who run a turbo car hard, in the boost, then shut it down right away...before the turbo has a chance to cool...which causes heavy turbo wear.

davecpa 07-19-2007 09:53 PM

all those sound great especially the hood pins. but i would really hope to have a noticeable difference such as beefier wheels and tires, maybe bulging fender flares, and a rear spoiler.

1 Bad Mirada 07-20-2007 10:04 AM

hell yeah on the wing...duckbill, for the win! [8D]

davecpa 07-24-2007 09:21 PM

I would like to see the difference between the RT and the SRT be like the difference between the porsche carrera and the porsche gemballa gtr 750. Or maybe the difference should be even more dramatic like the difference between the ferrari 360 and the ferrari f50.