Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   General Dodge Challenger Discussions (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/)
-   -   What do you think Challenger will cost? (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/what-do-you-think-challenger-will-cost-324/)

bored out 06-23-2006 09:31 AM

What do you think Challenger will cost?

We might as well stay busy guessing until production/pricing news comes out,lol.

Bored Out's Updated GUESTIMATES for the 2008 Dodge Challenger.

I will start with the 2006 Charger model msrp's as a baseline

SE Base MSRP: (V-6) $23,245
SXT Base MSRP: (V-6) $26,395
R/T Base MSRP: (V-8, 5.7 LTR) $30,395
DAYTONA R/T Base MSRP: (V-8, 5.7 LTR) $32,895
SRT8 Base MSRP: (V-8, 6.1) $38,095

2008 Challenger

SE (V-6) = $25,000
SXT (V-6) = $27,500
R/T (V-8 5.7 LTR) = $32,500
SRT8 (V-8 6.1 LTR) = $42,500

1 Bad Mirada 06-23-2006 10:54 AM

RE: What do you think Challenger will cost?

i have no idea...but let me state again that one of my discussions with a DCX employee close to the design team said that they intended to price the challenger similar to the charger with the same drivtrain....but who knows.

TechmanBD 06-23-2006 01:01 PM

That is around what I would guestimate the prices would be.

Jeremiah 29:11 06-23-2006 03:31 PM

I can live with those numbers and they are better than what I have heard before.

awsure 06-23-2006 07:10 PM

I would agree with those numbers in general but would not be surprised to see dealer markup take us to mid-high $40's on a 6.1L. Challenger will drive much more excitement than the Charger & those 1st in line will pay. I hate to pay retail on anything (I am one cheap S.O.B.) but will suck it up for this car. Hell, I might try to get a job at a dealership as a sales jockey (shudder the thought) for a week or two if that helped me get a 5% break on one.

whatdaproblemis0 07-01-2006 07:21 PM

Like your ideas, but ill have to say that unless the mustang Hikes up the prices for their cars, I would expect that dodge would lower its to compete. Dont get me wrong, I own a mustang(no bashing please)2005 and if dodge lowers the msrp I would then shoot for the V8 R/T. Also Im hoping at least for the people that buy the V6's that the try and reduce the weight because Ive driven in a Charger and those things are just heavy as hell, it was either that or the mustang. I like the 6 speed transmission, so Im in but it will be interesting to see how the do the numbers on this one.

wallstreetman 07-02-2006 09:01 AM

I'm guessing the 6.1 will cost you 50,000 +

1 Bad Mirada 07-02-2006 11:00 AM

ORIGINAL: whatdaproblemis0

Like your ideas, but ill have to say that unless the mustang Hikes up the prices for their cars, I would expect that dodge would lower its to compete. Dont get me wrong, I own a mustang(no bashing please)2005 and if dodge lowers the msrp I would then shoot for the V8 R/T. Also Im hoping at least for the people that buy the V6's that the try and reduce the weight because Ive driven in a Charger and those things are just heavy as hell, it was either that or the mustang. I like the 6 speed transmission, so Im in but it will be interesting to see how the do the numbers on this one.
dont worry, we have quite a few mustang owners here....

bored out 07-02-2006 05:46 PM

We've got so much good news lately about production. I'm going to continue to be skeptical until I hear what the prices are. Quotes are coming in "just above mustang prices". that would be great but i'm not going to believe that because in my opinion, dodge puts high prices on there cars and why would they not want to make money on this car. That is all there exes keep saying anyway "business sense, business sense".

chubbs 07-06-2006 12:45 PM

why would the prices go up and they lose models

bored out 07-06-2006 01:25 PM

What do you mean go up??? Dodge already has high prices on there cars in my opinion. A bone stock Charger v-6 for $25, 000???

The lease ruined it for all of us. The monthly payment is low but the stickers are going up and up!

It is all about money. Nothing else matters to these executives but money!

wallstreetman 07-06-2006 07:03 PM

News flash, the company would not even exist if it were'nt for money! How many Not- For- Profit car companies(besides GM and Ford) do you know of?

1 Bad Mirada 07-06-2006 07:25 PM

they make plenty of profit off of their strong selling, high priced sedans...they need to compete with the mustang.

wallstreetman 07-06-2006 07:38 PM

The Mustang is OLD NEWS, especially by the time the Challenger comes out!

bored out 07-06-2006 08:40 PM

Old News??? The mustang has been dominate for 40 years! The Challenger has great potential but 30,000 produced a year makes it a collectors item.

The Muscle Car is meant to be a car that has a huge power plant placed in a mid sized car and most importantly is affordable to middle class americans. If the heritage of the muscle car will live on past this decade then DCX, Ford and GM must realize this. Otherwise these cars will just be exotics that you see on Sundays or on a bluemoon.

The executives care about the bottom line. They can still make a profit on a Challenger at $30,000 and sell a boat load of them.

1 Bad Mirada 07-06-2006 10:00 PM

exactly..they need to market a performance car for the muscle car crowd...not for the "golf shirts and khakis drive them on sunday and let someone else race them" viper crowd.

bored out 07-07-2006 07:45 AM

I built a new Charger SRT-8 yesterday on the website. After $3,500 off for employee pricing the total was $38,000 (with a $2,000 option I selected). I had to put $15,000 down to get the cars payments under $400 a month for 60 months.

wallstreetman 07-07-2006 09:39 AM

Dominate? I think the word is Dormant, no real excitment existed before this latest model!

bored out 07-07-2006 10:34 AM

They put gm out of the muscle car business

RLSH700 07-20-2006 12:42 PM

ORIGINAL: bored out

What do you mean go up??? Dodge already has high prices on there cars in my opinion. A bone stock Charger v-6 for $25, 000???

The lease ruined it for all of us. The monthly payment is low but the stickers are going up and up!

It is all about money. Nothing else matters to these executives but money!
Alright lets analyze the Charger for a minuet. First of all, a bone stock Charger V6 is around 22,500-23,000, not $25,000. Quit rounding up by a couple thousand. Secondly, the closest thing to the current Charger that Ford produces is the Crown Victoria, and unlike the Charger the bone stock Crown Victoria is $25,310 although it has a V8 standard, the hp output is 26hp less than the Charger V6 and the torque is 25 ft-lbs more despite a 1.1L larger displacement due to it only having a two valve head. The Charger also has a 5-speed automatic which the Crown Vic lacks.

You shouldn't compare this Charger to the Mustang. In fact, you shouldn't compare the original Charger to the original Mustang. The original Charger competed with the Ford Torino.

I hate to break it to you but the purpose of business IS to make a profit. There is no other purpose for a profit organization. There is a solution to your problem if you can't afford what you want. Work at making more money.

RLSH700 07-20-2006 01:07 PM

ORIGINAL: wallstreetman

News flash, the company would not even exist if it were'nt for money! How many Not- For- Profit car companies(besides GM and Ford) do you know of?
Precisely! One of the multiple problems GM and Ford is they over produce and can't charge the right price for most of these cars. GM and Ford for years have had this silly philosophy to constantly under sell your competition is the path to success. It isn't. Their problem is KIA and other Korean manufactures are able to undersell them. KIA and Hyundai now have an image thanks to J.D. Power that they are no longer junk (even though they still are junk). Toyota and Honda are charging a lot more for their cars because they have a more positive image and they continue to have more and more sales.

Ford is only getting the profit margin because it is the only car in its class. They are able to sell the Mustang for a lower price due to the fact that the Mustang is cheaply built because it is a car full of left over technology and parts. That 4.0L SOHC engine does not have a very good reputation with quality, nor does the new 5-speed automatic which they are using. The 4.6L in the GT is only now able to compete with the F-body twins from 98-02. Even the GT500 only gets a detuned version of the engine in the Ford GT.

Looking at how DCX is doing business vs. GM and Ford. I'm not going to criticize DCX because they are not close to bankruptcy like GM and Ford are. Also another thing to remember. Dodge might cost more but they at least update their cars a lot more and do a better job when they do. My relatives have a '94 Mercury Grand Marquire and the interior is very similar to their current interior, and the Mustang 99-04 had the same interior as the Mustang from 94-98 which borrowed from the Thunderbird. What you pay for is what you get. Also remember that Dodge is not meant to compete against Ford or Chevrolet, it is supposed to compete with more premium performance brands. Plymouth was made to compete with Ford and Chevrolet.

77 Monte Carlo 07-31-2006 10:49 PM

My Uncle works for Dodge, and said the base price for an 08 Challenger will be around $28,000 - $30,000 if it is produced in high numbers.

awsure 07-31-2006 10:55 PM

What does he do for Dodge? My brother in law is the marketing director for a Phoenix & Tucson based dealership (with many different car lines including Dodge) and he said the sales guys are already buzzing about the interest in Challenger. Sounds like they think they will get a healthy premium above MSRP for the 1st year at least. He had no idea about base price though because they do not really know what models will get produced yet.

77 Monte Carlo 07-31-2006 11:02 PM

I'm not exactly sure of everything he does. He said he knows a lot about the Challenger that he isn't really supposed to tell anyone. I don't want to mention names and get him in trouble. But there is a lot that he know's that he wont even tell me about.

awsure 07-31-2006 11:25 PM

Well, I hope he is right. I suspect that a Challenger in the $28-30k range would have a six cylinder under the hood. I would think (and I agree with others who have made similar comments) that the pricing should follow the Charger somewhat. I have to think the 5.7L would be low to mid 30's and a 6.1L mid to high 30's. Of course, I think most agree that the 1st year release carries an dealer markup over MSRP due to the excitement. If six cylinder models were produced alongside a couple V-8 options right from the start I think that might help depress the premium dealers will try to get.

77 Monte Carlo 08-01-2006 11:03 AM

I hope my Uncle is right too. But he said they still aren't sure exactly what is going on, But here is the information he gave me. Before you read it, Understand that some of it is just rumors, and some isn't confirmed yet. So don't take it as word quite yet...

I asked my Uncle about how many would be made. I asked if the 30,000 was true. He said no. He said that Dodge is most likely going to produce this car in high numbers and that they have told the public it will be limited production to gain more interest in the car. If people think it will be limited production, Everyone will go out and buy one as soon as they come out. Well thats what he told me.

I asked about engines. He said they are working on a V6, similar to the one offered in the Charger, and it might be the same. Also a 5.7 Hemi, a 6.1 hemi, and possibly a new 7.1 Hemi to compete with the Mustang GT500.

The body style of the car is going to be almost exactly as the concept. Interior will be changed with chrome gauges and alluminum inserts.

Colors?? He said a few retro colors including Sublime, Hemi Orange, Panther Pink, and Plum Crazy Purple should be offered along with regular color choices.

This is all the information that he gave me. Don't take it as word yet.

Jeremiah 29:11 08-01-2006 05:37 PM

This is an interesting philosophy on getting people to believe that there is a limited quantity but it may work. Of course, many will not pay that much if is much greater than MSRP.

I would love to see the old retro colors driving around town.

A 7.1L that would be awesome......I wonder what the horsepower rating would be and what the final weight of the car is?

joeyr 08-02-2006 12:34 AM

They put gm out of the muscle car business
i dont know, the Corvette z06 and the camaro concept (coming out around the same time as the challenger) they may some life left in them. If the rest of their cars were only as good (06 monte carlo is sad to me)[&o]

bored out 08-02-2006 09:17 AM

Quote from RLSH700

I hate to break it to you but the purpose of business IS to make a profit. There is no other purpose for a profit organization. There is a solution to your problem if you can't afford what you want. Work at making more money.
Yes, I understand what a profit organization is. Your clearly not understanding what I am trying to say that there is a difference in making a profit and trying to soak every penny out of a customer. I'm talking about Greed and I'm saying that I hope DCX does not get to greedy with the Challenger price.

Secondly, to twist my statements about greed and price in previous post to me not being able to "afford what you want", is flat out rude. Of course you do not know me so your just making a statement based on what I said earlier. Thanks for telling me what I need to do "Make more money". I'm a bit surprised to see this type of post coming from an administrator. I know that posts can be taken out of context but your statements were just ignorant. Maybe you should reasses what you say to others who are just having a friendly conversation / debate!

RLSH700 08-04-2006 08:45 PM

Quote from RLSH700

Yes, I understand what a profit organization is. Your clearly not understanding what I am trying to say that there is a difference in making a profit and trying to soak every penny out of a customer. I'm talking about Greed and I'm saying that I hope DCX does not get to greedy with the Challenger price.
I understand that, I was trying to point out to you that you shouldn't use Ford's pricing and management of a corporation as an example because they are currently struggling. It appears to me that the Challenger will be more expensive to build than the Mustang because it contains higher quality parts. My point is just because it is higher priced, doesn't mean it is sign of greed. Even if they do charge a higher price than it really costs, it is a simple issue with supply and demand.

I want them to charge a price that will be both profitable for them and affordable for myself, because if it is not profitable, they will not make it and I will lose my chance of getting future models as a result. I think you have a victim mentality coming through with this complaint about being greed. Remember, the door swings both ways.
[/quote]

Secondly, to twist my statements about greed and price in previous post to me not being able to "afford what you want", is flat out rude. Of course you do not know me so your just making a statement based on what I said earlier. Thanks for telling me what I need to do "Make more money". I'm a bit surprised to see this type of post coming from an administrator. I know that posts can be taken out of context but your statements were just ignorant. Maybe you should reasses what you say to others who are just having a friendly conversation / debate!
I don't see how I "twisted your statements." I pointed out that you rounded up the price of the bone stock Charger quite a bit to try to make the cars look more unfairly priced. I was trying to help you understand that in comparison to cars it competes with, it isn't such a bad deal.

If you want more examples, I will give them to you. The Ford Five Hundred SE is roughly the same price as the bone stock Charger and it doesn't have traction control. It has 47hp & 43 ft-lbs of tq less. It has a CVT which tends to be a problem and the 6-speed auto in the Five Hundred has had some issues as well.

The Pontiac Grand Prix costs roughly the same and has 50 less hp & 20 ft-lbs of tq and one less gear ratio bone stock also doesn't have traction control. The Charger is significantly safer than the Grand Prix and has much better interior.

I also believe you misunderstood what I had said. I believe what you think I was implying was "you aren't working hard enough." That is NOT what I meant. What I meant was if you can't afford something you want, then look into new ways to make more money so then you can afford it. I was problem solving, trying to give you some advice. The simple fact is complaining over and over again about the price on here isn't going to solve anything, and before you twist this statement I'm not saying you can't express yourself.

Your constant accusations of DCX of being so greedy doesn't make for a "friendly debate." If you think I am not a fair Moderator, then I suggest you check out other forums. I'm probably not going to win the Moderator of the Year award (if it existed), but I am a lot nicer than some. In your statement, you have accused me of being rude, you have accused me of twisting your statements, and you have implied that I am ignorant. One of my jobs is to respond to people's remarks and contribute. Sometimes I am supposed to play "Devil's Advocate,

bored out 08-07-2006 09:25 AM

First off, I enjoy this site and its members. I have been to other Challenger forums and they do not compare. I'm glad to be here and I enjoy chatting and gaining new information on a subject that is very interesting to me.

I appreciate your reply RLSH700 and explanation even though it is more of the same. You assume to much while giving your "advice" There are to many things to reply to in your last post but I will not. It is not necessary or productive. This issue is over.

It is not how a post / email is written but how it is taken by the recipient. So do me a favor, save your personal advice for someone you know personally. You do not need to tell me how, when, or where to work because you do not know me.

BTW, your suggestion to "check out other forums" will be dismissed. If you want up-to-date Challenger info this is the place to be and I like the site and its members. If you want to ban me for sticking up for myself then that is your perogative.

RLSH700 08-13-2006 08:32 PM

I want to let this issue die so I will just say a few things:

A. I do not stop people from disagreeing or criticizing me. Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing so I believe in allowing people to say what they want. I'm a Moderator not a bully; therefore, I will debate against you but I don't believe in banning or deleting posts (within reason).

B. Your not understanding me correctly. I think you dig too deep into what I'm saying. I have had many people read my remarks who know me personally and they don't read interpret my remarks the way that you do. It also helps if you know the person who posts the message.

C. The "check out other forums" remark was a suggestion to observe how other moderators act at other forums. You may not believe this, but I'm pretty nice overall. You are 100% welcome on this site and your 100% welcome to disagree with me and say so. I won't stop you (within reason). I have people on a regular basis who won't allow me to speak up to disagree and it stinks, so I respect your right to disagree just realize I will respond with my own posts.