Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   General Dodge Challenger Discussions (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/)
-   -   What Gas and the Economy has done to the GT500 (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/general-dodge-challenger-discussions-7/what-gas-economy-has-done-gt500-3610/)

robman1969 06-25-2008 03:21 PM

What Gas and the Economy has done to the GT500

After considering an SRT and then the HXC Cuda and now a Speedfactory Chally, it dawned on me that all I am really looking for is the biggest version, (my wallet will allow) of a current muscle car. Thus I went looking at the GT500 today. After only two calls I was able to find a dealer in Plano Texas willing to sell a white with blue stripes GT500 for $49,800+TTL.

This surprise left me thinking: How in the world is the SRT going to survive at $49,000 (after the initial run due to launch excitement). The GT500 has a far better pedigree and performance numbers not to mention 500 horsepower! I am thinking of waiting another month for this retched economy and gas situation to allow one to finally get a GT500 at or below MSRP and save a bundle over a 500 horsepower Chally. THOUGHTS?

DiamDave 06-25-2008 03:27 PM

RE: What Gas and the Economy has done to the GT500

Where did you get $49,000 from? Fully loaded with all options and guzzler tax is less than $42,000. Without options, well under $40K.

Dave

jvmax 06-25-2008 03:27 PM

Lets see, roughly 20,000 gt500 built. Only 6400 SRT-8's for 08. And another roughly 4,000 for 09. The SRT-8 is going to be a lot more of a rare car. And dont forget that the GT500 was built by ford svt, not shelbyhe just has his name on the car.

1971cuda convert 06-25-2008 03:34 PM

While I dont have my challenger as of yet but should have anyday its on a train somewere [:@] .I do have have a shelby and while it is a fine car it doesnt compare to the challenger in my opion . There super fast and fun to drive but they look like the other million mustangs on the road .Noone fits in the back seat adn it isnt nearly as retro as the challenger .

robman1969 06-25-2008 04:01 PM

Rare or not, when looking at performance for the dollar the Chally can not match the GT500 currently. And, if you think buying a car these days is an investment, I have some land for you :)... After ten years both cars will be worth less than what we paid, only the GT500 will still outperform the Chally.

Remember, I really, really, really want a Chally. I just want to ensure that I am not overpaying due to Hype. A near $50K car needs to put up the numbers commensurate of that price tag.

mopar2ya 06-25-2008 04:08 PM

Buy the mustang. For me the Challenger is the only choice. ;)

kevin2323 06-25-2008 04:15 PM

challenger can easily beat the gt500 with the 10k extra your spending to get the gt500........easy decision.

TCROCKSTAR 06-25-2008 04:29 PM

I am a Daimler/Chrysler Operations Manager. I picked the Shelby. The Shelby GT sells for about $40000.00 the GT500 is about $50000.00. BUT the GT500 is a SVT vehicle and not a true Shelby. The Challenger is next on my list. I was a pure Chevy guy but I am totally turned off by thr new Camaro.

GPMAN 06-25-2008 04:37 PM

I have to chime in.
1. The Mustang style is stale
2. The Mustang still has the same chassis as Fords did in 1985
3. The Mustang has a tiny engine with a blower not ideal.

I don't ever in my 48 years recall a car having a WOW factor like the Challenger. The car is just plain bad to the bone and will ride like a nice sedan which the Shelby does not. The Shelby's remained 20,000.00 dollars over sticker for more than two years. If this car will do that I'll be thrilled because everything I buy from my airplane to race cars to sports cars go down down down.
My first car was a 1970 Grand Prix and I loved the long hood. This car reminds me of that one

DiamDave 06-25-2008 04:43 PM

ORIGINAL: TCROCKSTAR

I am a Daimler/Chrysler Operations Manager. I picked the Shelby. The Shelby GT sells for about $40000.00 the GT500 is about $50000.00. BUT the GT500 is a SVT vehicle and not a true Shelby. The Challenger is next on my list. I was a pure Chevy guy but I am totally turned off by thr new Camaro.
Hi TCROCKSTAR,

What level manager are you? Can you get us any insider info on the delivery of our Challengers? My VIN is 8H302160.

Any info appreciated,

Dave

04RAMSRT10 06-25-2008 05:12 PM

Chally SRT, 41,985, Ford 49,000. If you are not at the strip what is 0.3 seconds in the 1/4. More room, better looks, better ride and handling, and faster top speed. If you must have the speed add a few dollars to the Chally and beat the pants off the Ford for the same money. Heck you have 7K to spend. I think and even better buy and play car will be the R/T with the updated 5.7 and 6 speed. This thing has low cost rocket written all over it.

MrKrisSullivan 06-25-2008 06:59 PM

First of all I thought the new mustang platform was updated since 05'.
Secondly The Cobra's And Gt500's look way better with the body work done to them. They definatly stand out among other mustangs... don't kid yourself.
And finally just buy a blower and then you can take on a Viper.

my challenger 06-25-2008 07:35 PM

Well guys...I own both cars..I posted pics of them together. The GT500 is a rocket,like a thrill ride everytime I get in it..I can tell you this,It won't dissapoint you in the performance dept.. Styling...I love the front of the car..Back it's not as good.. The Challenger..I think the styling is tops,a great take on a classic style. smooth looks with out gimmicks. Performance: So so. doesn't feel like 425hp..more like 350hp. no great rush of power. don't get me wrong,I like this car,but more power is needed to compete with the GT500...I think the car will be faster and feel faster with the 6 spd.

http://www.netwalk.com/~hedo/comparo8.jpg

70sguy 06-25-2008 07:50 PM

what price did you pay for each? 500gt $70k, challenger $40k ?

for about $20k more we can make the challenger feel like a rocket.

tcchubb 06-25-2008 08:04 PM

where is everyone getting 49gs for a gt 500. my local dealers(both of them) had one in each and they both stickered at 42 and 43. and that is what they sold for. so dollar for dollar gt >challenger in the performance depo. but i believe that the challenger is the better buy b/c it just seems more of a car i would not be afraid to use. i agree the mustang is kinda plane and needs to be updated. imo challenger in everything except performance. i would buy the chally over the gt 500 everyday. unless you want "stock" performance

deep south 06-25-2008 08:55 PM

I agree with all the posts except one thing... the price of the challenger. Alot of people paid over Msrp for the challenger,including me + 5k. With TT&L it is going to cost me 50k.I checked around every Dodge dealership I could find and in my area(300 miles)and I got a good deal. Now I got into the challenger late.. the end of May, so that may have made a difference. I checked into the gt 500 and a vette last year just for the thrill of going fast and for me the challenger just was better looking with the vette coming in a close second. SO I am very glad I waited. IMO the viper is still the cream of the crop but I could not spend that kind of $$$ on a car. So I say, it is your $$ spend it how you want to. Jim

deep south 06-25-2008 09:12 PM

follow up on the previous post:

on the gt500 I checked on last year. I asked both of the ford dealerships in my city and they both said +10k. Also this is the first car that I will own in almost thirty years so it had to be special. I have been a truck guy all my adult life cause if times got bad for me you can always make $$ with a truck. Jim
PS my challenger.. you are one good looking lady..even without the cars.

BUDMAN 06-25-2008 11:21 PM

OK now how about some pics of your wife with the cars.

ORIGINAL: my challenger

Well guys...I own both cars..I posted pics of them together. The GT500 is a rocket,like a thrill ride everytime I get in it..I can tell you this,It won't dissapoint you in the performance dept.. Styling...I love the front of the car..Back it's not as good.. The Challenger..I think the styling is tops,a great take on a classic style. smooth looks with out gimmicks. Performance: So so. doesn't feel like 425hp..more like 350hp. no great rush of power. don't get me wrong,I like this car,but more power is needed to compete with the GT500...I think the car will be faster and feel faster with the 6 spd.

http://www.netwalk.com/~hedo/comparo8.jpg

RoswellGrey 06-26-2008 12:58 AM

ORIGINAL: BUDMAN

Finally! SOMEONE gets to the REAL issue here! :D

lear4406 06-26-2008 03:14 AM

Well the cars are similar in many ways and both are pony cars. But with the blower on the snake the performance will be enhanced. Thats just the nature of the beast. But there are other factors to consider if this car is to be driven on the street any legnth of time. All comparisons should be stock for stock, after mods all bets are off. With the introduction of the 6-speed thimgs should get closer in the performance area. I choose the Challenger because I bleed hemi orange and have been waiting over 30 years for Dodge to come back to it. Now when I get my 2009 SRT-8 Challenger it will look stock from the outside but packing some real heat under the hood... just like my 70;) So I'm not concerned that a Shelby GT500 has the braging rights and a false sense of superiority. Lets settle it at the stop light... I mean drag lights;)

firebird1999us 06-26-2008 01:22 PM

ORIGINAL: robman1969

After considering an SRT and then the HXC Cuda and now a Speedfactory Chally, it dawned on me that all I am really looking for is the biggest version, (my wallet will allow) of a current muscle car. Thus I went looking at the GT500 today. After only two calls I was able to find a dealer in Plano Texas willing to sell a white with blue stripes GT500 for $49,800+TTL.

This surprise left me thinking: How in the world is the SRT going to survive at $49,000 (after the initial run due to launch excitement). The GT500 has a far better pedigree and performance numbers not to mention 500 horsepower! I am thinking of waiting another month for this retched economy and gas situation to allow one to finally get a GT500 at or below MSRP and save a bundle over a 500 horsepower Chally. THOUGHTS?

FACT: You're not going to win any arguments on this forum against a Challenger....

nonsensez9 06-26-2008 05:48 PM

ORIGINAL: jvmax

Lets see, roughly 20,000 gt500 built. Only 6400 SRT-8's for 08. And another roughly 4,000 for 09. The SRT-8 is going to be a lot more of a rare car. And dont forget that the GT500 was built by ford svt, not shelbyhe just has his name on the car.
what? only 4000 SRT8s for '09. that can't be right, can it?

mopar2ya 06-26-2008 06:18 PM

Number I have been hearing is 3800...

samthejeepman 06-27-2008 07:08 AM

hi
gotta say something about this !
i have the 500 and am still waiting for my 08 orange(stuck in a train yard in cleveland !!!!)
i also have a saleen parnelli jones and a saleen extreme, just to mention a few.
i love the looks of the 500, but its a pig. my saleens out run it and run rings around it. it handles like garbage, sits way to high, loose suspension, the clutch is a joke, its exhaust sucks, and the fit and finish suck, and unless you do some performance mods, it will be a major disappointment to you
before my mods, she was 428 at the rear wheels(now dyno 615 rwhp).
the only benefit is that it has the looks and appeal and the day that old guy dies, anything that has shelby on it will be collectible(if i live that longlol)
can't compare it to the challenger yet(still waiting), but from what i've heard a few mods will make the challenger a force to be reckoned with(especially next years manual trans)
just my opinions

sam
#8h289474 (still freakin waiting)
and psthe chassis on the stang is new since 05 "

my challenger 06-27-2008 02:48 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: BUDMAN

I'll get some with the 2 cars soon....this will have to do for now

http://www.netwalk.com/~hedo/mywife.jpg

DiamDave 06-27-2008 03:01 PM

Wow, how much over MSRP was that model? Maintenance much be killing you.....lol.

Dave

my challenger 06-27-2008 03:41 PM

ORIGINAL: DiamDave

Wow, how much over MSRP was that model? Maintenance much be killing you.....lol.

Dave
With a little TLC, maintance is low, and you can get many years of enjoyment...hehe

MrKrisSullivan 06-28-2008 09:18 AM

god your wife is smoking dude.... I hope my girlfriend looks that good in the future.... I'd take that anyday brother have fun...;):D

RUBBERBNDMAN 06-28-2008 09:54 AM

ORIGINAL: my challenger

ORIGINAL: DiamDave

Dave
With a little TLC, maintance is low, and you can get many years of enjoyment...hehe

Looks like ours came off the line about same time,WE both have "DD" in our VIN.

DSkippy 06-28-2008 11:18 AM

Umhhh....why are you wasting time w/ computer forums and cars?!?!?!;)

Very nice, My Challenger......

As for the question of the GT500, my reasoning is quite simple, I'm a Mopar guy. Even if it apples to apples, the blue oval or bow tie are better on paper, they won't be Mopars!

I've owned a German vehicle manufactured in York, PA, I've owned a Japanese car assembled in Indiana, another Japanese car assembled in Indiana, a two Japanese cars manufactured in Japan of all places, a German car manufactured in Mexico, and one American car manufactured in Illinois (Horizon)......where I am going with this?

Oh yeah, while I've only owned one Chrysler product, I will own one more. I've finally gotten to the point in my life, where this is practical. I sure wouldn't blow it on a Ford. No knock...but my dad raced Mopars in the 60's early 70's and that's what I'll be driving....

Colorancher 06-28-2008 09:30 PM

Felt like weighing in on this one. I have an 08 Chally on order. I truly love the GT500 front view. That car just looks hot and it is. But... The Chally has a level of design that really hits that retro design spot. I have a friend who races the tuner cars. He has a Mitsubishi EVO that has better acceleration specs that the Chally. Hmm. I can not get the least bit excited about a tiny little rice grinder that looks like a roller skate with a spoiler. I do feel the rush when I see the Chally and the GT 500. There is nothing like American Muscle. The total sensory experience makes tuners seem like a slot car. It makes me proud to see the most outstanding, most noticable cars on the road American made.[sm=americanasmiley.gif] They are both great cars and the comparison is like comparing two fine wines. Both great but someone always has a personal preference.

Albeeno 06-29-2008 06:49 AM

I have to chime in too:

1) I would respectfully disagree with your opinion on this statement...I still get plenty of gawkers in my lowly `05 GT
2) The chasis was completely re-designed for the `05-Present Mustangs (see S-197 platform). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth-g...n_Ford_Mustang
3) That "tiny engine" once again found its way onto Ward's Auto's 10 best engines. http://wardsauto.com/reports/2008/tenbest/ Interestingly, I didn't see one example of a Slopar motor to be found anywhere on the list...as usual. A little advanced research prior to your next most would be appreciated...

ORIGINAL: GPMAN

I have to chime in.
1. The Mustang style is stale
2. The Mustang still has the same chassis as Fords did in 1985
3. The Mustang has a tiny engine with a blower not ideal.

I don't ever in my 48 years recall a car having a WOW factor like the Challenger. The car is just plain bad to the bone and will ride like a nice sedan which the Shelby does not. The Shelby's remained 20,000.00 dollars over sticker for more than two years. If this car will do that I'll be thrilled because everything I buy from my airplane to race cars to sports cars go down down down.
My first car was a 1970 Grand Prix and I loved the long hood. This car reminds me of that one

Mopar_Nut 06-29-2008 08:59 AM

Actually, the 5.7 L Hemi was on Ward's 10 best engines list from 2003 to 2007. They have already announced 2008's best engines, granted the Hemi did not make it for the first time in 4 years but the announcement came before Chrysler updated the Hemi making it achieve better gas mileage and more power. But every time the Hemi did make the list, it was ranked higher than the 4.6L Ford motor.

So your statement, Albeeno, is just plain wrong when you say you didn't see one example of a "Slopar" motor on the list, as usual. It is actually unusual to NOT see the Hemi on Ward's 10 best engines.
Let me spell it out for you:

2003: Hemi ranked 3rd; the Ford 4.6L did not make the list.
2004: Hemi ranked 3rd; the Ford 4.6L did not make the list.
2005: Hemi ranked 4th; the Ford 4.6L ranked 5th
2006: Hemi ranked 4th; the Ford 4.6L ranked 5th
2007: Hemi ranked 5th; the Ford 4.6L ranked 6th

Do a little *simple* research before you claim to do advanced research.

brucer41 06-29-2008 10:13 AM

With all of the debate I thought I would add to it. My wife has an 06 Mustang GT and I keep after her to move up to the GT500. She really doesnt like it at all. We had the opportunity to take one for a ride and she wasnt impressed. You could have talked me into it in a heartbeart however. I like the styling of the car. Back in the day I owned a GT350H and really liked that car. Now, however I would not take one over a Challenger, not in a million years. Having seen both cars up close (and driven the GT500 and soon my 09 Challenger) the styling, look, overall WOW factor goes straight to the Challenger. Yes the GT500 has 500 hp, big deal, a supercharger. Put a blower on the Challenger and really test the cars equally. Say its not fair having to add to the Challenger? Well they had to add a blower to the GT500 to get it to make that 500 hp. Only fair to play on an even field. I would certainly think that with this "fair" run..the snake will be working hard to play catch up. My opinion.

BTW, my challenger, too darn sweet in black and I am sure that the Silver would be off the hook, but IMHO a Hemi orange coating would make things way smoking hot!

kevin2323 06-29-2008 10:49 AM

oh god albeeno should we reference them to our countless post going back and forth on the subject of evening the playing field and such. i feel dejavu comin on. haha

ps. here in miami no one gawks at a gt....well becuase its miami. and i hate how down here people buy their v6 mustangs turn the exterior into a gt500 looking stang then wen i look at the rear there is 1 little muffler poking out giving away its v6 engine[&o]