Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   Can't wait to own another Challenger (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/new-member-area-5/cant-wait-own-another-challenger-333/)

74B5Blue 06-28-2006 10:59 PM

Can't wait to own another Challenger

I had to part ways with my baby in '97, It wasn't good in the rain never mind the snow and i needed a winter ride.
I miss my '74. But here's hoping we all get the chance to own a new one. Please DC Please!

Jeremiah 29:11 06-28-2006 11:49 PM

RE: Can't wait to own another Challenger

I used to own the '73 Challenger below.

I would love to own an old one but like someone said on the forum previously, that while those cars looked cool
they were not built very well. I agree with that as I hated torsion bars, those car rusted bad, and the form and fit
was poor. Of course, the American car mentality was why make a car last longer than 3 years since Americans don't
keep their cars very long any how.

Well you see the trouble the American manufacturers are in with the Japanese and other countries with that mentality. To this day they are still
trying to dig themselves out. The Japanese passed them up in quality and never looked back.

However all of the new DCX car are built very well.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17/B1B2617B7BB44C9CA38ED2517BDD347B.jpg[/IMG]

Shaker 07-30-2006 06:18 PM

Never had a Challenger, but did own a '70 340 'Cuda.
Man, I should have never sold it.[:'(]

RLSH700 08-04-2006 04:17 PM

Welcome to the forum, 74B5Blue! It looks promising so far for the Challenger.

Johnman 08-23-2006 10:21 PM

The Cuda's and Challengers were always my favorite muscle cars from the early 70's when I was a teenager, but I never owned one at the time. I finally bought a very nice '73 Cuda in 1994 but it proved to be a constant headache. I loved the car, but the repairs and tow-truck bills became too much. I don't know if I had a lemon, or if this kind of unreliability was common among these cars, but it was a relief when I sold it in 2002. I was thrilled when I saw the new Challenger concept because I thought I would finally be able to own a car with the classic musclecar styling I love combined with modern refinement and RELIABILITY. I can't wait to buy one.

RLSH700 08-30-2006 12:20 PM

Newer cars have fewer problems with that. It seems like cars had a tough time during the 70s in terms of quality.

Jeremiah 29:11 08-30-2006 08:04 PM

Quality was such an issues such as:

1. Rust protection was non existent

2. Fit and finish - no computers to help with tight fitting designs and they rattled alot.

3. I never got used to or liked my torsion bars

RLSH700 08-31-2006 12:03 AM

Also carbs had some issues as well. Back then the engines and transmissions themselves seemed to hold up better than they do these days.

srh 09-14-2006 06:05 PM

I still have my 73 with 340. The new one would look nice sitting next to it the garage. I too am concerned about build quality. Yes I know its beter than the 73 !. But I've had good good luck with foreign cars. Would be hard to convince the wife to buy American again.
Any information out there on pricing for the new model.

RLSH700 09-15-2006 10:15 AM

Were still waiting. The 5.7L model appears it will be around $30,000. I wouldn't worry about the build quality. The perceived quality gap between domestic cars and foreign cars is closing more and more everyday. Post some pics of your 73, we'd love to see it.