Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   Hi ?about license plate on front of car (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/new-member-area-5/hi-about-license-plate-front-car-5577/)

mac1120 12-13-2008 07:38 PM

Hi ?about license plate on front of car

On my birthday my wife & kids suprised me with the 2009 R/T in Dark water Blue (Manual), and it is by far the most kick a*# car i have ever owned....... I live in a state that requires 2 license plates on cars, and I cannot bring myself to want to put 1 in the front of the challenger....i feel like it will ruin the front of it. Ha anybody run into this problem, and if so, how have you delt with it? any suggestions?

mopar2ya 12-13-2008 08:03 PM

RE: Hi ?about license plate on front of car

I too live in a state that requires a front plate. I have not put one on the front yet, nor do I plan to. So far so good, have not been pulled over or had any problems yet. We shall see... ;)

Regardless, ticket or not, I will not be putting on a front plate... [sm=forgetit.gif]

mac1120 12-13-2008 08:08 PM

Thanks a lot. i feel better now. I also feel ticket or not i will not plan on putting the front one on...
do you keep it in the windshield or anywhere specific?

RoswellGrey 12-13-2008 08:53 PM

I, too, live in a two-plate state. I was glad when mine finally showed up and could put it on the front of the car. Sorry, to me, the front end doesn't look right without a plate. ;)

epegasus 12-13-2008 09:43 PM

Six cylinder, Auto Challenger AND you like the front plate....

...[sm=dontgetit.gif][sm=insomnia.gif][sm=jawdrop.gif]

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey

I, too, live in a two-plate state. I was glad when mine finally showed up and could put it on the front of the car. Sorry, to me, the front end doesn't look right without a plate. ;)

mopar2ya 12-14-2008 05:38 AM

ORIGINAL: mac1120

Thanks a lot. i feel better now. I also feel ticket or not i will not plan on putting the front one on...
do you keep it in the windshield or anywhere specific?
I happen to keep the front plate under the drivers seat in case I get pulled over and they demand to see the matching set of plates. I think it looks good there under the seat where it belongs... ;)

As for my back-up plan I got some small clear suction cups at Ace Hardware and inserted them through the license plate holes so I could suction the plate inside the front windshield if needed in the future. Have not had the need yet but will be prepared if the need arises.

As for Roswell... just so happens he is wrong... again... ;)

BLK 6050 12-14-2008 06:40 AM

Glad I don't need a front plate...looks better without...Here in Arizona they dropped the front plate to save the state money by not having to make two plates for each car. If you order "personnal" plates you still get two...

RoswellGrey 12-14-2008 07:18 AM

ORIGINAL: epegasus

Six cylinder, Auto Challenger AND you like the front plate....

Your questions one by one.

Six cylinder: Why would I want a "Hemi" (they're not, actually, but that's an academic issue)? At one point, I was half-owner of a 1968 Coronet R/T with a 440 Magnum. Now THAT'S a REAL eight-cylinder engine. Sure today's eight-cylinder engines are good, but sorry, they just don't impress me enough to pay the extra in fuel costs and insurance. In my opinion, no matter what, today's "Hemis" lack the awesomeness quality of the Old School engines. Besides, I was using the 68 to help finance my college career before most people here were born. Am I going to be street racing now? Nope. Oh. And did I mention the price of the SRTs and R/Ts? There's no way I'm ever going to pay that much for a car, no matter what it is. I happen to like the looks of the Challenger, but not more than $25,000 worth.

Automatic transmission: Again, I point to the Coronet. It had the 727 three-speed automatic. Everything said and done, no matter who you are or what you're running, you physically CANNOT outshift an automatic. Also, I learned to drive at age 12 on a three-speed manual 1950 Ford whose carburetor was loose because of the weight of the old oil-bath air cleaner, causing the fuel to be cut off as the car came to a stop. Hence, not only was I learning to drive a manual to start with, I also had to learn to clutch-start the car whenever I came up to a stop sign. Yeah. I know how to drive a manual and thought that was the only kind of transmission to have. Till I found out about the performance of automatics. Why would I ever go back to using primitive technology? And a six-speed? Get real. I wouldn't buy a four-speed. The car is fully capable of knowing when it needs to shift.

Front plate: As stated, earlier, I think cars look better with front plates. Check my avatar. Don't you think that 70 Challenger would look strange without a front plate? Of course you do. So does an 08 or 09. Also, a prediction: watch for more and more states to require front plates. Why? Very simple: the growth of traffic-light cameras to catch scofflaws going through red lights. Forget the safety issue. What's more important is that ALL states are relying on traffic citations as a growing source of revenue. Traffic cameras take pictures of cars FROM THE FRONT. The states are going to want to know which cars are going through red lights to send the owners tickets. You'll soon be sporting front plates, too, pal. ;)

I hope this explanation answers all your questions. :D

70sguy 12-14-2008 07:20 AM

I too, would not install L.P. on the front of my Challenger if I were in a state that required it. I would either do the following; 1- gracefully accept a ticket & pay fine, 2- design and develope a thin bracket that attached to the under framing that would be easily removable 3- move to a state where it wasn't required

RRUNNER 12-14-2008 07:29 AM

I also live in a state that requires a front plate, but I have not and will not put it on my car. I've seen plenty cops while driving and have not been hasseled. I keep the front plate in the car just in case I get stopped to show them I have it.