Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   Hi ?about license plate on front of car (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/new-member-area-5/hi-about-license-plate-front-car-5577/)

mac1120 12-13-2008 07:38 PM

Hi ?about license plate on front of car

On my birthday my wife & kids suprised me with the 2009 R/T in Dark water Blue (Manual), and it is by far the most kick a*# car i have ever owned....... I live in a state that requires 2 license plates on cars, and I cannot bring myself to want to put 1 in the front of the challenger....i feel like it will ruin the front of it. Ha anybody run into this problem, and if so, how have you delt with it? any suggestions?

mopar2ya 12-13-2008 08:03 PM

RE: Hi ?about license plate on front of car

I too live in a state that requires a front plate. I have not put one on the front yet, nor do I plan to. So far so good, have not been pulled over or had any problems yet. We shall see... ;)

Regardless, ticket or not, I will not be putting on a front plate... [sm=forgetit.gif]

mac1120 12-13-2008 08:08 PM

Thanks a lot. i feel better now. I also feel ticket or not i will not plan on putting the front one on...
do you keep it in the windshield or anywhere specific?

RoswellGrey 12-13-2008 08:53 PM

I, too, live in a two-plate state. I was glad when mine finally showed up and could put it on the front of the car. Sorry, to me, the front end doesn't look right without a plate. ;)

epegasus 12-13-2008 09:43 PM

Six cylinder, Auto Challenger AND you like the front plate....

...[sm=dontgetit.gif][sm=insomnia.gif][sm=jawdrop.gif]

ORIGINAL: RoswellGrey

I, too, live in a two-plate state. I was glad when mine finally showed up and could put it on the front of the car. Sorry, to me, the front end doesn't look right without a plate. ;)

mopar2ya 12-14-2008 05:38 AM

ORIGINAL: mac1120

Thanks a lot. i feel better now. I also feel ticket or not i will not plan on putting the front one on...
do you keep it in the windshield or anywhere specific?
I happen to keep the front plate under the drivers seat in case I get pulled over and they demand to see the matching set of plates. I think it looks good there under the seat where it belongs... ;)

As for my back-up plan I got some small clear suction cups at Ace Hardware and inserted them through the license plate holes so I could suction the plate inside the front windshield if needed in the future. Have not had the need yet but will be prepared if the need arises.

As for Roswell... just so happens he is wrong... again... ;)

BLK 6050 12-14-2008 06:40 AM

Glad I don't need a front plate...looks better without...Here in Arizona they dropped the front plate to save the state money by not having to make two plates for each car. If you order "personnal" plates you still get two...

RoswellGrey 12-14-2008 07:18 AM

ORIGINAL: epegasus

Six cylinder, Auto Challenger AND you like the front plate....

Your questions one by one.

Six cylinder: Why would I want a "Hemi" (they're not, actually, but that's an academic issue)? At one point, I was half-owner of a 1968 Coronet R/T with a 440 Magnum. Now THAT'S a REAL eight-cylinder engine. Sure today's eight-cylinder engines are good, but sorry, they just don't impress me enough to pay the extra in fuel costs and insurance. In my opinion, no matter what, today's "Hemis" lack the awesomeness quality of the Old School engines. Besides, I was using the 68 to help finance my college career before most people here were born. Am I going to be street racing now? Nope. Oh. And did I mention the price of the SRTs and R/Ts? There's no way I'm ever going to pay that much for a car, no matter what it is. I happen to like the looks of the Challenger, but not more than $25,000 worth.

Automatic transmission: Again, I point to the Coronet. It had the 727 three-speed automatic. Everything said and done, no matter who you are or what you're running, you physically CANNOT outshift an automatic. Also, I learned to drive at age 12 on a three-speed manual 1950 Ford whose carburetor was loose because of the weight of the old oil-bath air cleaner, causing the fuel to be cut off as the car came to a stop. Hence, not only was I learning to drive a manual to start with, I also had to learn to clutch-start the car whenever I came up to a stop sign. Yeah. I know how to drive a manual and thought that was the only kind of transmission to have. Till I found out about the performance of automatics. Why would I ever go back to using primitive technology? And a six-speed? Get real. I wouldn't buy a four-speed. The car is fully capable of knowing when it needs to shift.

Front plate: As stated, earlier, I think cars look better with front plates. Check my avatar. Don't you think that 70 Challenger would look strange without a front plate? Of course you do. So does an 08 or 09. Also, a prediction: watch for more and more states to require front plates. Why? Very simple: the growth of traffic-light cameras to catch scofflaws going through red lights. Forget the safety issue. What's more important is that ALL states are relying on traffic citations as a growing source of revenue. Traffic cameras take pictures of cars FROM THE FRONT. The states are going to want to know which cars are going through red lights to send the owners tickets. You'll soon be sporting front plates, too, pal. ;)

I hope this explanation answers all your questions. :D

70sguy 12-14-2008 07:20 AM

I too, would not install L.P. on the front of my Challenger if I were in a state that required it. I would either do the following; 1- gracefully accept a ticket & pay fine, 2- design and develope a thin bracket that attached to the under framing that would be easily removable 3- move to a state where it wasn't required

RRUNNER 12-14-2008 07:29 AM

I also live in a state that requires a front plate, but I have not and will not put it on my car. I've seen plenty cops while driving and have not been hasseled. I keep the front plate in the car just in case I get stopped to show them I have it.

tommyroadrunner 12-14-2008 08:27 AM

Nice and easy fix using 18 inch zip ties and stock front plate bracket....

tommyroadrunner 12-14-2008 08:28 AM

OOPS!! PIc attached.....

epegasus 12-14-2008 04:37 PM

To each their own, Roswell and I'd never be one to judge. I just like to recognize differences of opinion because that's what makes the world go round for me. I can really appreciate you for having the opinions that you do. I am always amazed by the car collectors who go for the 67 notch-back Mustang with a straight six. But they love that car and are preserving what the average man drove.

The SRT8 cost me the most of any car I've ever purchased but only by a small margin. Despite the economy, me and mine aren't doing too badly and it just seems that what you're willing to pay for this, that and the other just sort of creeps up from year to year. That being said, modern V8s make the old school stuff seem pathetic, to me. The suspensions and chassis may lessen the harshness transmitted to the driver and it "feels" less potent but the new age stuff is far more drivable and usable and more powerful per cubic inch. I know a local tuner who gets upwards of 2000 HP out of modern engines. Old school HEMIs, Chevy 409/427, 427 Cammers and BOSS 429 were great top end mills but sucked monkey butt at normal revs. The Freaky Cams made them horrible to drive around town and the hoods were alway up. Now I can have a 427 SMALL BLOCK that revs quick and builds HP and torque clear through the rev limiter all dau long. That would have been Black magic Voodoo back in the day.

I simply can't stand automatic trannies but that's just me. I currently own a number of cars, trucks and motorcycles and every last one of them has a clutch and gears ;). On the rare ocassion I give in to the Red Mist and take someone on, I have seldom found anyone who can out run my slap shifting abilities. Not that I'm that great (I am) but I usually pick on suckers driving clapped out Hondas :D. Man there's just something about driving a stick that makes me smile. Its like me and the car are working together. Plus automatics are just a pain when they go bad. In 30 years of driving sticks I haven't had to have work done on a manual tranny or ever change a single clutch. Not one. Ever automatic my dad owned ended up having to have the tranny worked on at some point.

Anyway, I respectfully honor your right to like whatever you like...but don't get too upset if I don't fully understand your particular form of madness. Lord knows you're going to think I'm strange as you get to know me better.

Paladin06 12-14-2008 05:04 PM

I'd like to test you and your manual driving abilities. Maybe one day.

mot250 12-14-2008 05:24 PM

I too live in state that requires a front plate. I've been driving my Mustang with no front plate since I got the car in January 2006. Been pulled over 3 times (two speeding warnings and one speeding ticket) and never got any hassle for not having the plate on the front.

I have not put the front plate on the Challenger either and I do not intend to.

Fortuneately, for the Mustang, there is relatively easy access to some solid metal for remotely "clamping" or even drilling to attach a "temporary" plate frame if I ever feel the need to mount a front plate on it without drilling into the front bumper. And it would be relatively easy to remove for a car show.

But the Challenter does not seem too have any easy access for the same type of mount, since the front chin spoiler and plastic belly pan are so extensive.

That zip tie method looks intriguing. But I'd like to know if it moves around at all, possibly scratching the paint on the bumper. Or could we add some foam type weather strip to prevent any scratches?

canadiancanuck 12-14-2008 05:57 PM

there is a huge push for 2 plates in Alberta, hope it doesn't fly, funny thing is when you order a vanity plate you get 2 anyways. Now I personally don't like dual plates but when I drop $275 for vanity plates I'd install both, but I would try and see if I could mount it more to the drivers side as I think it would look cool not centered.

2009SRT_wife 12-14-2008 06:13 PM

As you all may or may not no - Texas requires both. I think certain cars look good without the front plate - but the Chally looks FTough with it - especially a vanity plate.... Having said that, I have been pulled over simply for no front plate. I received a lecture, a once over and a paper warning. That was in the black 350Z. Other times, when I was pulled over for speeding, no mention of the lack of a front plate (probably because I was trying so hard to get out of the ticket they sent me on my way thinking good riddance:D) I do not have on on my TL - just like some women - some can pull off a certain look and others can't.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1998/9FFDC0FEE9F74FE2B969718B96715068.jpg[/IMG]

tommyroadrunner 12-14-2008 06:29 PM

Just an application of split fuel line hose on the both top and bottom on the the stock plate bracket, and zip ties, not only does the trick, but protects paint........heh heh.......

And. so very removable if the mood so strikes.

I would send a picture, but here in W WA, it is just too cold to take a picture this evening..other than the plate itself