Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   Miffed at Dodge Dealerships (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/new-member-area-5/miffed-dodge-dealerships-6529/)

Bandit395 05-07-2009 03:54 AM

Miffed at Dodge Dealerships

Hello to all, I wanted to get the opinions of new Challenger owners. I have been looking at local Dealerships in S. Florida to purchase a new Challenger and found myself aggrevated that they seem to be selling these cars with a "Limited availability" dealer charge. The SRT8 that I liked had a 20k mark up and the RT'S had a 7k mark up. They gave me a song and dance that the cars were in limited production which warranted this mark up. I told them that I would not pay a mark up and walked out.

What I don't understand is why does this greed continue despite the auto makers crying about lack of sales. If they would quit trying to screw us every chance they get, they would not have this problem. Anyone here experience the same happenings with the dealerships? I just don't see throwing that kind of money on the ground to buy their product.

BLK 6050 05-07-2009 05:39 AM

Find another dealer outside your area that has realistic pricing...20k over list, they have got to be kidding with the current state of Chrysler and the market place!!...I hope those dealers go out of business. There is a bright side to the Dodge dealers putting unrealistic markups on new Challengers...it will help to sell more Camaros (if Chevy dealers don't follow the Dodge dealers example).
Bottomline is that your Challenger will be worth x amount of dollars in the resale market whether you pay below list, list or over list pricing...and now you can't even justify paying over list by saying you want to be the first with a new Challenger...(I've had mine for almost a year and still find myself to be the only one within miles that has a Challenger)
For less than 20k you could travel across country, find a good buy, and enjoy a nice cross-country drive home in your new Challenger (just beware of any bulldozers along the way).
*Just say NO to dealer markups!*

chilicheri 05-07-2009 02:15 PM

:confused: We just started looking for a Challenger SRT8, and the fully loaded ones are going for around 45,000.00. We live in Southern California. Is that around what people are paying? The fleet manager at one of the dealerships said he would go a 1,000.00 under STICKER. Just wondering if anyone might have some info for me.

Dads R/T 05-07-2009 03:16 PM

I did not pay over , actually 4-5K under w/all discounts. Get you one on ebay from a reputable Dodge dealer, they can get you the Chrysler financing if needed. I am sure what you want is on Ebay. There are plenty and 95% are brand new at the dealer.

Ridge Runner 05-07-2009 05:25 PM

You are right on Bandit,I see the same thing here up north.It also is makin me give the Camaro a look,cause the dealers now here are advertising that the Camaros are in stock to sell.

Bandit395 05-08-2009 03:24 AM

It just pisses me off to see the greed with these guys when they are screaming about all of their problems. And they expect our taxes to help them out of their mismanaged companies. Yet they screw us every chance they get. I will wait until the 2010 models come out (if that happens) and look then. If not, I'll buy one second hand from a private sale.

chilicheri 05-08-2009 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dads R/T (Post 70836)
I did not pay over , actually 4-5K under w/all discounts. Get you one on ebay from a reputable Dodge dealer, they can get you the Chrysler financing if needed. I am sure what you want is on Ebay. There are plenty and 95% are brand new at the dealer.

I have been looking on Ebay also, so I what my main question is, is the 45,000.00 that I've been quoted sound like what most people are paying for the SRT8 fully loaded? Thanks for any and all help!;)

Axel 05-08-2009 10:42 AM

Bandit, what people don't realize is that the dealer and the maker are two different people. Because of laws, the dealer can mainly sell how they want, the maker isn't allowed to tell them what they can and can't charge, hence why they are also allowed to participate in discounts or not. The way to put a stop to that is to stop buying from that place, Challenger's or otherwise. Their regular sales will detmine their allowed for special cars like these. No sales will put them out of business completely, which some of these places need.

Chili, $1,000 below sticker for fully loaded isn't bad. It might not be the best deal you can do, but it's not the worst either, especially with the story you just heard and dealers still trying to get above. Here it's about $3,000 on the R/Ts, more on the SRTs and here they call it market adjustment. I was able to get employee pricing from one dealer, but had to travel. Anything is possible, just depends on where you are willing to go to get it.

lear4406 05-08-2009 02:21 PM

You have to look around and travel if need be. MSRP or no deal. Chevy is in the same boat and cannot control the dealer. If you go to the Camaro boards you will see similar problems. Dealers are in it for themselves... but there are good dealers and you have to search them out. They see the big picture and will deal accordingly.

Bandit395 05-08-2009 02:57 PM

I found a local dealer that does not have the mark up. But, they have a small inventory of Challengers, and they will have to look outside for my specs. I'll be patient and keep looking. Thanks for all the replies and insight.