Dodge Challenger Forums

Dodge Challenger Forums (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   New to forum (previous '70 big block owner) (https://dodgechallenger.com/forum/new-member-area-5/new-forum-previous-70-big-block-owner-6711/)

HDCaesar 07-07-2009 03:44 PM

New to forum (previous '70 big block owner)

Greetings to all.

New member here who is thinking about taking the plunge and buying another Challenger. I formerly owned two 1970 big block Challengers (one in the 70's & the other in the late 90's) both of which I sold... we all know about hindsight...

Anyway, I recently found a 1970 six cylinder that is reported to be rust free and stock. I am thinking of buying it and transforming into an R/T clone.

I did a search here for any info on such a project but couldn't find any.

Does anyone have a link or info that I can check into as far as availability/cost of parts to make the transition?

A few I can think of up front would be:

Engine
Trans
Suspension components (springs/torsion bars)
Disc brakes
Radiator

Thanks for reading and happy motoring to all.

Mike

BLK 6050 07-08-2009 08:42 AM

It's been done by many others and is fairly easy, relatively speaking. The parts needed are all out there, just takes money. Just a few thoughts:
* Will need new k-member (and mounts)
* Will need new trans (and rearend, as you have the 7 1/4 rear axle)
* Will need to upgrade front suspension to handle the added weight (and rear springs)
* Brakes, of course will need to be updated (don't forget the brake booster, etc.)
* Radiator again will need to be replaced
* Engine compartment wiring will need to be replaced (better than mod'ing 40 year + wire)
* PLUS....many, many little things that always come up when doing an engine swap.....
ALWAYS: plan on more time, more work, and more dollars before it's all done.........

FYI: Do your homework, and don't take anyone's "word" that something will work.
Example: Many years ago I swapped a 350 in place of the 305 in my SS Monte...
Everyone told me that the exhaust would bolt right up.....wrong....expensive lesson
for me..............just a word to the wise.....

07-09-2009 08:58 AM

Why not leave the leaning tower of power in place? I know it won't be as cool as a big block (I have a 70 440 six pack challenger) but it will be really unusual at ANY show.Most 6 cylinder cars have already been converted to a v-8 by now.Not to mention great gas mileage.

HDCaesar 07-09-2009 09:00 AM

Thanks for the reply. I knew it would be a complicated project but wasn't sure I wanted to tackle it without getting some input first regarding parts availability etc.

Mike

HDCaesar 07-09-2009 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by 4406v (Post 71833)
Why not leave the leaning tower of power in place? I know it won't be as cool as a big block (I have a 70 440 six pack challenger) but it will be really unusual at ANY show.Most 6 cylinder cars have already been converted to a v-8 by now.Not to mention great gas mileage.

I wouldn't be able to leave it as is..... you are talking to a long time motorhead here who craves horsepower and torgue... Hell, I got rid of my Harley Ultra cuz of lack of power and moved up to a 502 Boss Hoss... But I know what you mean about gas mileage.